Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 04:29:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 08, 2024, 09:08:31 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:34:53 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 06:58:56 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: downrigger as an anchor set-up  (Read 7387 times)

Cutthroat Chris

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I was thinking of us a Scotty Lake Troller downrigger as an anchor set-up. Instead of attaching a ball you just attach an anchor. Easy down and easy up plus you could use it with an anchor trolley for positioning. What about a drift anchor set-up?

Good, bad idea? Any thoughts welcome.
Chris

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Welcome Sarge,

I suppose you could use that small downrigger as an anchor setup, but I'd stick to using it on lakes.  As for using it as a drift anchor or in rivers in general, you want to have a quick exit strategy (i.e. the ability to get off anchor quickly in the current).   Having to reel the anchor up isn't quick enough, esp if you're already in trouble.  I suppose you could keep a knife on hand and cut the line, but that doesn't seem like an ideal method to me.

Brian

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I'd avoid using the DR in a current situation, too.

There's some good articles and posts about anchoring. Start here- http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/page,26.html

Cutthroat Chris

• Lingcod
Thanks for the welcome bsteves! Pisco Sicko, I'll definitely read those articles, thank you.

Do you think you could just toss the whole thing in the water with a float to ditch it? Kinda like you guys do with those winders, ya know? It was just a thought to use the DR, I fugured it might be a convenient way to utilize the winder and free spool abilities. Plus there's a large variety of mounts for them on the market. They can also hold a large amount of anchor line!
Chris

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
Thanks for the welcome bsteves! Pisco Sicko, I'll definitely read those articles, thank you.

Do you think you could just toss the whole thing in the water with a float to ditch it? Kinda like you guys do with those winders, ya know? It was just a thought to use the DR, I fugured it might be a convenient way to utilize the winder and free spool abilities. Plus there's a large variety of mounts for them on the market. They can also hold a large amount of anchor line!

Maybe.

There are three issues I can think of, off the top of my head:

-Anchoring in current works best if lead from bow or stern, so as not to get sideways to the current. We usually have our anchor line running through some kind of loop at the boat end. So, either your DR has to be able to fit through the loop, or be at the end(s) of your boat. How quickly can you get to it to release it?

-Whatever release system you use should be near instantaneous. Jam cleats or a slip knot is what I use. I would avoid any scenario that requires fumbling with fasteners. One single, fast maneuver is best.

-In current, I've had crab floats pulled under, from the drag on the line. Your floatation for your DR will need to be several times what is needed to float it in still water. That might be awfully bulky. I use a wooden reel (homebuilt and floats) plus a crab float to keep my anchor line on the surface.

Hope this helps you think through this process. Not to say that what you're contemplating couldn't work, but the anchor systems we're using are cheap enough (much cheaper than a DR), that I would recommend having separate gear for anchoring.

Cutthroat Chris

• Lingcod
Well my cash flow is very low right now so it sounds like I'll be using the cheap anchor method. Do you recommend using a bow AND stern anchor or just one or the other?
Chris

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
For current situations, just one anchor.

On still water, bow and stern can nice to avoid a lot of swinging.

Cutthroat Chris

• Lingcod
OK, great! Thanks for all your help
Chris

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
For current situations, just one anchor.

On still water, bow and stern can nice to avoid a lot of swinging.

This could be as simple as a pair of 6 oz pyramids, based on how well just one held me on the Willamette during slack tide when I went sturg fishing with BSteve's. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Cutthroat Chris

• Lingcod
Yeah, I can see the logic in that. I've heard that the 4lb claw or "Bruce" style anchors are great for fast current situations because they dig in so quickly. Do you guys use these at all? On teamoceankayak.com's rigging page there's a Prowler 13 rigged with this anchor. I think the whole team uses them actually.
Chris

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Most of us use grapple anchors or pyramids. I also wouldn't recommend using a downrigger for an anchor. Having used one on the kayak for a long time I know it'd get ruined pretty fast. They're just not made to have so much stress put on them. Everyone else's suggestions are really sound. Plus, keeping it simple pays off in the end. ;)

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

anything