Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 01:28:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 08, 2024, 09:08:31 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:34:53 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 06:58:56 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Vrigin T13 Angler Rigging Priorities  (Read 7300 times)

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
Yep, all of what they said BUT:

I'd take it out before you start mounting stuff. The living room is nice, but it's not the water. Doing it (or at least feeling it out) in the water will give you a much better idea of where your whole paddle swing will be and what it feels like to sit in different fishing positions (straddled, side saddle,,,,). Take a marker with you and think about where the rod butt is as well as the tip before you mount the rodholders. Same with the cleats, FF, etc.

Do you HAVE to do it that way? No, but it might save you some welding time to fill the holes you made because  you want to put that cleat somewhere else so it does not bark your knuckle every other stroke ::) 

My boat arrived yesterday.   As I was sitting there I heard a key in the front door lock, and The Little Woman walks in, home early from work.  If she had been drinking anything it would have come out her nose.

It was one of life's little moments.

"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I'd take it out before you start mounting stuff.

This guy's got moments of brilliance. ;) Really. Figure out what works for you. We all have set up our yaks based on what we've seen on friend's yaks but modified what we thought would work for us. Nothing is a better judge of what you should have and where it should go then taking it out and giving it a shot.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

This guy's got moments of brilliance. ;) Really.
Z

That's not brilliance, that's experience.
(also known as reeeeally long periods of dumb luck)
Where do you think all those "don't ask" stories come from?
I may be a bit crazy, but I'm not stupid  :tongue3: I actually learn from my mistakes.

(especially after the 3rd or 4th time ::) )
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 12:12:07 AM by Fishesfromtupperware »

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008

This guy's got moments of brilliance. ;) Really.
Z

I may be a bit crazy, but I'm not stupid  :tongue3: I actually learn from my mistakes.

So, this time around you should have it down with what it takes to keep a cell phone off the bottom of the drink.  >:D

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009

Well said.  I have no intention of making any holes or driving any screws until I use the boat as is for awhile.  It has flush rod holders that will do to start fishing.  I have an old fat rod I could cut down and use as a starter downrigger.  Got plenty of milk crates.  Will pick up some bungee and brass clips.  I still need to figure out how to simply manage my tackle.  I may take the FF/DF/GPS plunge before I start fishing, but any decision on which unit is a month away.

We must learn from others mistakes.  None of have enough time to make them all ourselves!

Here's another newbie question.  The front hatch is big and will hold a lot of stuff.  When you are on the water, how do you get to it?  Just scoot forward carefully?  Crawl on your belly?  Or is it only there for show?
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

Yarjammer

• Salmon
  • Captain of the Titanic
  • Date Registered: May 2008
I'd say it really depends on how you rig your yak, your body composition, and what you are most comfortable doing.  Some guys are big enough to straddle the yak; others have great balance and tough knees.  The bottom line is you need to figure out what works best for you.

I use my center mounted rod holder as a brace to support my chest with my knees in the footwells.  Its not pretty and hurts like hell so I sparingly use the front hatch away from shore. 

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
For the first time for me (on any water) while on the salt last Friday, I had to scoot up to the front while straddling the kayak to reattach my battery connection for the fish finder.  Seems it popped loose when I slid the battery back into the bag at shore.  Surprisingly enough, even while going up and down in the swells, it was quite stable, and the operation left me with a new option for storing gear I may need while fishing.  I would not hesitate to get in there again in the same conditions, and most certainly will on flat water like a lake.  Seems like a good place to keep a cold lunch, and extra drinks.

Something that has been mentioned before on other threads, is to find some calm water near shore and climb all  over your kayak to find what you can and can't do.   Stupid me, I wait till I'm on the big blue to try it.   :-\

This summer when it's warmer out, and the water is more friendly,  I'll try standing up and walk around and see what it takes to get bucked off.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I have an old fat rod I could cut down and use as a starter downrigger. 

Don't even worry about that yet. That's way down the line after getting freshwater fishing down. But when the time comes let's hit the sound and I can give you a few pointers.  :thumbsup:

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

demonick

• Sturgeon
I have an old fat rod I could cut down and use as a starter downrigger. 

Don't even worry about that yet. That's way down the line after getting freshwater fishing down. But when the time comes let's hit the sound and I can give you a few pointers.  :thumbsup:

Z

You are on!  I have had very fast learning curves for all my obsessions, and I have survived them all, so I am hoping to hit the sound in early summer.

I'd say it really depends on how you rig your yak, your body composition, and what you are most comfortable doing.  Some guys are big enough to straddle the yak; others have great balance and tough knees.  The bottom line is you need to figure out what works best for you

This summer when it's warmer out, and the water is more friendly,  I'll try standing up and walk around and see what it takes to get bucked off.

Paddleboards are all the rage in Hawaii, and I have even seen a few in Lake Union.  They are like huge surfboards and you stand up on them and paddle.  Try that with your kayak.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 12:22:03 PM by demonick »
demonick
DomenickVenezia.com

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Paddleboards are all the rage in Hawaii, and I have even seen a few in Lake Union.  They are like huge surfboards and you stand up on them and paddle.  Try that with your kayak.

The last time I was at PC there were a large number of paddle boarders as well as surfers out there. I couldn't figure out what they were doing. Am I missing something...standing on the board paddling around outside the surf zone?
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

demonick

• Sturgeon
The last time I was at PC there were a large number of paddle boarders as well as surfers out there. I couldn't figure out what they were doing. Am I missing something...standing on the board paddling around outside the surf zone?

I am the wrong person to ask.  Paddling around to no point seems, well, pointless.  But, I still don't understand the attraction of sailboats.  (Where's the "yawn" emoticon?)
demonick
DomenickVenezia.com

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2006

I am the wrong person to ask.  Paddling around to no point seems, well, pointless.  But, I still don't understand the attraction of sailboats.  (Where's the "yawn" emoticon?)

HaHa, if ya wanna find out...we sail out of the Port of Brookings-Harbor every other Saturday for raceing. This years season just started, next weekend will be the second race. You are more than welcome aboard, but be prepared to work , as no one gets a free ride during race season! LOL
 Our Skipper owns a Spencer 53, plenty of room.
the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.

demonick

• Sturgeon
HaHa, if ya wanna find out...we sail out of the Port of Brookings-Harbor every other Saturday for raceing. This years season just started, next weekend will be the second race. You are more than welcome aboard, but be prepared to work , as no one gets a free ride during race season! LOL

Actually, I DO understand racing.  It's a competition and is its own justification and reward.  It's my friends who take their sailboats out and just tool around "for fun" that I don't get.  I am glad they enjoy it, just don't expect me to be "grateful" to be invited to a day of numbing boredom.  The last time I went sailing I made the comment, "Dude, if you want to go all the way to the end of the lake you should get a powerboat."  On the other hand many of my friends don't get sitting back with a few drinks, a book or newspaper, and a 2 hour cigar. 

Whatever floats your boat.
demonick
DomenickVenezia.com

Actually, I DO understand racing.  It's a competition and is its own justification and reward.  It's my friends who take their sailboats out and just tool around "for fun" that I don't get.  I am glad they enjoy it, just don't expect me to be "grateful" to be invited to a day of numbing boredom.  The last time I went sailing I made the comment, "Dude, if you want to go all the way to the end of the lake you should get a powerboat."  On the other hand many of my friends don't get sitting back with a few drinks, a book or newspaper, and a 2 hour cigar. 

Whatever floats your boat.

Hmmmm, sounds like you have not been out nutz and guts sailing. But I guess your right, all "wine and cheese" sailing does is make your 2 hour cigar burn too fast. ;D

Then again, I still can't see why anybody would paddle without a line out. :dontknow:

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007

Then again, I still can't see why anybody would paddle without a line out. :dontknow:

Wali, sometimes it is scary how much you and I think alike... :icon_bigsmurf:
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again