Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 07:06:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jed
[April 29, 2024, 05:39:20 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 08:40:31 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: another newbie on the forums  (Read 4515 times)

The Nothing

• De nihilo nihil
  • Sturgeon
  • De nihilo nihil
  • YakFish@IOL
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Finally managed to sign in tonight! I've been reading this forum for, um, about 8 hours I think.

I'm very new to kayak fishing, and fairly new to fishing in general.  My wife and I just got back into fishing last year after not fishing since we were kids.  Last year was also my first time in a yak

We went up to Anderson Is. with some friends.  There were a couple Old Town SIKs that I made use of fishing and crabbing.  Despite being ill-suited to the task (ie no rod holders, short paddles, and more), I fell in love that weekend.  I spent MONTHS now pondering back and forth between a kayak or a pontoon.  Of course, the only thing I had used was that SIK.  Needless to say I've been fairly hesitant to make any sudden moves, and have been keeping my eyes and options open.  I nearly settled on a Pungo 140 some time ago.  I was pretty sure I wanted a SIK because that was all that I had used, and, well, c'mon, this IS the PacNW afterall....  I went to a local kayak shop in north portland where a sales guy basically said I was too fat (for the record: 6', 210#) and tried to sell me a Native Ultimate.  I even gave him 3 opportunities to sell me something else.  I'm sure its a decent ride, but if i wanted a glorified canoe i wouldn't have been there.

Then I found NWKA...

Everyone (ok, MOST everyone) is using a SOT.  Hmmm.  Now I really have to think about this some more.  I've always been impressed with the weight handling and the fact SOTs are self scupping.  Modifiying seems to be much easier as well.

Now what to do.  Seems a lot of people are into their OK's right now, but I'm thinking they're a bit out of my budget - seeing as i'm unemployed.  I've come across a couple Heritage Redfish on clearance here and there that come a few hundo less than an OK, but also come with about 20# more plastic.  It wouldn't take much to make a 72# yak unhandleable out of the water...

I anticipate most of my fishing to be here around town.  Willamette, Smith Lake, Hagg... a trip to the Sound or two a year, plus maybe some light SW bay action in Newport and Tillamook.  I fish for whatever I can. Some days its stocker trout, others its sturgeon...

Anyways, I'm looking forward to my continued reading here, and hopefully I'll find myself in/on a yak here soon.  I still need to find myself a SIT and give it a spin some time to see what they're like...
~Isaac
Blog 'YakFish
ProStaff NRSJackson Kayak | PK Lures | YakAngler

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Welcome aboard!  You've come to the right place.  Too bad you didn't find us last month.  The Alder Sports paddle fest would have given the opportunity to try out a few SOTs. 
Keep and eye on the board for people posting open invites to fish.  Several of the members have extra boats and are willing to share.

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Greetings and welcome.  I too am a newbie kayak fisherman, having only been out on my boat 3 times.  The first time I found this site I did the same thing you did.  Spent a day or more just sucking up some of the wealth of information here. 

Great folks here and a large OR contingent.  Good luck in your quest.
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

andyjade

• Sturgeon
  • Photo Dump
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Welcome, man.  I'm not sure, but I think said sales guy was blowing smoke.  You're not too fat for a Pungo 140.  They're rated a lot higher than 2 hundo.  The paddling.net site has reviews by d00ds much beefier than yourself.  There are many SIKs that would float you.  Don't rule them out because you think you're too big.  NANOOK seems to know a thing or two about making them fishable.  But the SOT is the popular ride around here for sure.

Anyway, find a new kayak shop for starters.

AJ
Blog/Photo Dump

Editor, The Milkcrate, Kayak Angler Lifestyle.

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
Welcome to the Curse and the Cure!!!

Just for the record, those other forms of plastic 'yaks are lovingly referred to as SINKs. But don't ask me how I know.  ;)  I think you'll find that at 210#, you'll fit in with many of us around here. I also think you've found a kayak salesperson to avoid.

Yes many of us paddle OKs, mine is a wonderfully heavy Big Game, but you'll find a wide variety of other brands and 'styles' of kayaks as well.  :o  We're all very supportive of whatever form your ride takes and willing to provide any help, sometimes unsolicited as well...hehehe

Jay
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Welcome aboard!  You've come to the right place.  Too bad you didn't find us last month.  The Alder Sports paddle fest would have given the opportunity to try out a few SOTs. 
Keep and eye on the board for people posting open invites to fish.  Several of the members have extra boats and are willing to share.

-Mark-

Actually, at the end of this month, REI is having a demo day at Vancouver Lake in Vancouver.  I'll be there with my rigged kayak and I know that at least Ocean Kayak will be there with some demo boats.

Here's a link to some more information..
Portland REI Paddle Demo Day

Alternatively, my T13 is technically a demo boat and you can paddle it if you go fishing with me.

Brian
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

The Nothing

• De nihilo nihil
  • Sturgeon
  • De nihilo nihil
  • YakFish@IOL
Thanks all for the welcome.  This is definitely a cool site.  While I might be adding to the Oregon Ranks, I'm a Seattle Native ;)

I know the guy at the shop I went to was blowing smoke.  He just wanted to get an old model out of the store to make room for new.  I wasn't happy with his style and not rushing to go back to that store if he's there.  He even walked out the door to meet us as we got out of the car....

anyways, this isn't about that place

Looking forward to being a sponge, Thanks for the heads up on the REI paddle day.  If I don't have something by then I will be there.  Heck, I might even be there anyways.  I rarely shop REI, but it is right across the street from where my wife works in town... need to think of that some more..

Anytime you want to fish, just let me know :) i'm game any day.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 09:50:37 AM by The Nothing »
~Isaac
Blog 'YakFish

squidgirl

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
welcome to the group.. As everyone has said there is a great wealth of information and the guys and gals are great here. I am new to the Kayak fishing also. Cought my first fish last weekend out of my Kayak.  I paddle a OK T-13 and love it. but was defently admiring Yak Monkeys Hobie and his peddles.

Squid Girl
"Life is short lets go fishing"

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Isaac,
don't forget to check you local craigslist lisitngs..

good luck on the job hunt
[WR]
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
First of all, let me laugh at your salesman in my best Jabba the Hutt chortle. "Hooohohoho"
I'm 5'11" #270 and have paddled too many boats that were too small for me (not enough volume) and I've only sunk one.*  I don't think you'd even sit a Pungo 140 down on its lines. In his defense though, that Ultimate is a nice boat, but it's a LONG way from being the only one that would do the job for you.

The SOT's are so popular because the deck is rig-able and if you roll it over, you roll it back, climb on, and keep fishing (no bailing).  You really should be dressed to fall in anyway, even if your in a SIT or SINK or Trapped-inside as I call them. (Watch it!, my bias is showing ;D )

Funny you should mention it, but a Heritage is the boat that I sank :o Again, nothing to do with the boat, but I was pushing the capacity limit on that one. Mine is a Pro-fisherman 14, they don't make that one anymore, but it was basically a SIT that they modded into an SOT. It is pretty quick, but my behind had the rear hatch waaaay too close to the water. Your #210 would not even come close.

That whole redfish line are good fishing boats, but if you get a used one (a great option if you can find one) check the area where the bottom of the cockpit meets the gunwales. That sharp angle tends to crack, although its relatively easily repairable.

Unless you have back problems, don't let that 70 lbs scare you. All of the water you mentioned lets you get right on the edge to launch. If you want to go farther, a dolly is worth it's weight in gold.

Yep, welcome to the curse/cure! I'll be back in PDX in a few weeks and I'd be glad to get out with you.

*and that was because I poked a hole in the bottom!
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

jself

I went to a local kayak shop in north portland where a sales guy basically said I was too fat (for the record: 6', 210#) and tried to sell me a Native Ultimate.  I even gave him 3 opportunities to sell me something else.  I'm sure its a decent ride, but if i wanted a glorified canoe i wouldn't have been there.

I'm not sure who you talked with on your previous experience, but I apologize for whoever it was.  I'd like the opportunity to help you find the right boat if you haven't already. There are some very experienced sea kayakers and whitewater boaters at the shop, but I am the only one who kayak fishes. I'm thinking you might have come in when the Native rep was lurking around pushing his product, and got a bit of the old biased opinion. I'm at the Jantzen Beach shop Tues - Thurs, and on the water teaching on Saturdays.

Jason (NANOOK)

jself

Just FYI- You can demo boats in the marina behind the shop anytime. If you want you could schedule a time and we could go for a test paddle......and I almost forgot; Welcome!

The Nothing

• De nihilo nihil
  • Sturgeon
  • De nihilo nihil
  • YakFish@IOL
Awesome offer, I'll probably hit you up on that next week. Heading out to Depoe this weekend to fish from the rocks...
~Isaac
Blog 'YakFish

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
Just FYI- You can demo boats in the marina behind the shop anytime. If you want you could schedule a time and we could go for a test paddle......and I almost forgot; Welcome!

My wife and I took a couple of Alder Creek boats out on a demo a few years ago. We paddled about a mile or 2 upriver, had lunch and then paddled back. We got a great idea of how the Wilderness and OK boats handled.

Jay
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

squidgirl

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Has herd nanooks knowledge and experience first hand. . if you can get with him and/or Wali you will pick up a wealth of information..

Wali..... when your intown. we (the group) need to pick a mutual spot for some fishing..
"Life is short lets go fishing"

anything