Forum > Waving the Bug Wand

Puget Sound SRC

(1/3) > >>

Saltycutt:
Hey guys, I'm one of the new guys around here and have scoured the site for tips and tricks as I get set up. Thanks for all the info! My main use for the kayak will be fly fishing Puget Sound for searuns. I'd like to get into salmon but will probably fish gear.

Anyway, a trip report. The fall SRC season has started and its fantastic. There are big aggressive SRC feeding on many of our beaches. I've had a blast the last couple weeks figuring out how to effectively fish from the kayak for them. So far the biggest thing is keeping a clean deck, which can be difficult with pedal drives. I've managed pretty well and have found plenty of cutthroat willing to play. I'm playing with different stripping baskets, but for now I'll just deal with chaos.
Cheers,
Steve
WS Radar 135

Rockbottom:
SRC are why I got a kayak.  Opens up so much water and its an all year fishery.  They fight like mini chinook. The by catch of rezzie coho isn't bad either, and of course, the occasional pink and chinook.  Puget Sound is such a gift.

conquestdz:
I have only fished for cutts in lakes.  What is the general strategy in the sound for those of us that don't fly fish?

Saltycutt:

--- Quote from: conquestdz on September 01, 2019, 09:48:14 PM ---I have only fished for cutts in lakes.  What is the general strategy in the sound for those of us that don't fly fish?

--- End quote ---

I would think small kastmasters or spinners on light tackle would be deadly.  SRC like to stick close to shore, so you're casting to the shoreline. Look for good rocky beaches with good current and avoid sandy areas.

Rockbottom:
SRC are making a huge comeback due to a strong catch and release program all along the west coast.  Please handle them as gently as you can.  They are such a great and unpredictable fishery.  Have fun!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version