Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 12:22:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 09, 2024, 09:27:35 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: DIY Anchor Trolley from a cutting board  (Read 1514 times)

PetitPoisson

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
I previously installed the YakAttack Anchor Trolley on the Oasis and have been very happy with it.  A while back, I picked up an older Revo 16 for a very reasonable price.  The Revo is still pretty much untouched.  The previous owner clearly never used it for fishing.  After watching Captain Redbeard's Halibut video... I really want to try Halibut fishing from the kayak.  Drift fishing is clearly the only relatively safe way to accomplish this.  So the Revo will need a trolley (or I can just use the Tandem).  I spent today puttering about in the garage trying to come up with a design.  I have a few cutting boards that are almost identical in color to the Revo so I sacrificed one of them for the trolley.  It will remain to be seen if I need to make any modifications to this set up, "it should work"...  haha

I did not use little pulley's for the ends.  They just seem overkill to me, these are little boats and we're just sliding a piece of paracord...  I could easily make some pulley's but decided to just use a plug cutter and cut a channel to run the rope through.  I see no reason for this not to work.  Bonus, they are really thin this way (thickness of the cutting board).

Guides got a similar treatment.

Locking mechanism.  This gave me a little bit more trouble.  I sandwiched 2 peices together wuth the use of a heat gun (basically welded them together).  Used the plug cutter again and then drilled a toggle to fit over the plug.  Flattened the bottom of the toggle a bit to allow the rope to slide through.  Flip the lever left or right and it will lock the rope into position.  I depated doing the zig zag cleat but wanted to see if I coule make a toggle similar to the YakAttack version.  Again, seems to work well while testing it on the kitchen table...

D-ring.  I like how the YakAttack D-ring clips into place when you're not using it.  I cut a channel into the top of the D-ring using a Dremmel and then cut a channel into the bottom of the locking mechanism.  I may need to file the back of the D-ring a little more.  Until it's mounted, I don't want to remove any more material.

I have some stainless hardware to mount it all and will use scrap cutting board as a backer inside the kayak hull when I mount this.
Hobie Oasis (Le Phoque)
Hobie Adventure Fish (yet to be named)

showa

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2016

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
Wow.  Very nice job.  Your cutting board fabrication skills are far beyond mine.  How did you "shape" the pieces?
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

PetitPoisson

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
Wow.  Very nice job.  Your cutting board fabrication skills are far beyond mine.  How did you "shape" the pieces?

Thanks, I was going to install it today but I'm running out of time between various appointments.  Maybe this weekend.

HDPE cutting boards are very similar to working with wood.  Files, sandpaper, various power tools and drill bits...  The waste plastic build up from the heat is by far the hardest part to overcome.  It's not hard, just time consuming.
Hobie Oasis (Le Phoque)
Hobie Adventure Fish (yet to be named)

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Damn! Those parts look great.  I feel guilty because I cheat and use my CNC router to cut all my parts.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Man I miss build threads like this on here. This is great. Thank you for sharing.

Looking forward to seeing what you pull up out there!

micahgee

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Damn! Those parts look great.  I feel guilty because I cheat and use my CNC router to cut all my parts.

Using CNC is not cheating! Just frees up your hands for smartphone scrolling, 12-20 oz curls just to name a few things you can do with said free hands/time  8)

Those parts do look really good!!!
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

www.heroesonthewater.org