Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 27, 2024, 01:49:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 24, 2024, 10:50:19 PM]

[May 24, 2024, 10:50:02 AM]

[May 24, 2024, 06:36:26 AM]

[May 23, 2024, 07:06:28 AM]

[May 23, 2024, 06:37:37 AM]

[May 23, 2024, 06:35:15 AM]

[May 23, 2024, 06:33:32 AM]

[May 23, 2024, 06:29:12 AM]

[May 21, 2024, 04:51:49 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 01:07:12 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 11:40:28 AM]

by [WR]
[May 18, 2024, 04:51:53 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:35:26 PM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Atenttion hobie mirage drive users  (Read 18239 times)

yessnoo

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2008
Do yourself a favor and check all the nuts on the cabling before you go out each time...they can back off....I thought my mirage drive was acting a little funny at the sucia trip...it felt like it was skipping a tooth or something every once in a while....well today I set out for the artificial reef that is a little ways north of my house to try some lingcod fishing (roughly 3 miles one way)....it felt funny but i didn't think much of it....then im about 2.5 miles to the fishing spot when pop...my pedals go slack and move freely...after a few obscenities were sceamed out i pulled my drive out to find I had lost a drive cable nut...uhhh....now I had to use that thing they call a paddle to get back...Luckily the wind was in my favor for the 2.5 mile trek back and it wasn't too difficult...but seeing as I have never actually paddled that far it was interesting.  I'm going to get new nuts and put lock tight on this time. I thought the self locking stainless steel would be enough but apparently I was wrong.  I guess I will try the spot and hopefully actually make it there tomorrow to fish lol.
2008 Hobie Mirage Revolution Fish

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Yep, MD maintenance is a good idea. Always wash it in fresh water after being in the salt, give it a few sprays of WD40 every ten times of use and give it a once over every now and then. I've heard of some drive problems over the years but can count them on one hand. Myself, I've been using them near 5 years now w/o a single problem. Sorry to say it but you "lucked out." Like I said, go get a lottery ticket!!!

Z
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 08:00:59 PM by Zee »
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
you must have had a bad nylock. like z said, rinse 'em with fresh water evrytime you use it in salt, give them a shot of lube once in a while.The  cables need to be tightened every once in a while, especially when there newer because the cable does stretch.
See ya on the water..
Roy

Fishesfromtupperware

• Sturgeon
  • Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
I wish I didn't know what you are talking about. ::)

My first time out at Beverly Beach the mast fell out on one fin leaving me with the sound of one fin flapping. Very disconcerting in bumpy cold water.

It hung on by the clew (?) screw and I was able to get it to stay in using my knife as an allen wrench, but I never left home without one after that.

Maintenance is good.
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

yessnoo

• Lingcod
I replaced the sprockets when i put the turbo fins on...you won't have that problem with the new ones...they screw into a brass fitting and i used locktight...

i always wash my drive and give it lube every now and again i just didn't think to look at the nuts...when i replaced the sprockets i should have gotten new self locking nuts but i didn't so that is probably one of the issues...and like i said i didn't use loctight

Fishesfromtupperware

• Sturgeon
  • Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
I replaced the sprockets when i put the turbo fins on...

I wish I could, but I have the old style drive. When Zee posted a pic of those new sprockets I was salivating and it about killed me when he said they would not work.  :'(
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

Hank

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Feb 2009
Checking for loose hardware is essential. Go easy on the WD40 though. It tends to dissolve the grease.
"Just another Newb"

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
Checking for loose hardware is essential. Go easy on the WD40 though. It tends to dissolve the grease.

The MDs don't really have grease on them. Just a light coating of lube so it's essential to keep it replenished.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year

Hank

• Herring
The main shaft that the drive rests on comes greased from the factory. Here's a pretty good thread on drive maintenance:

www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/showthread.php?t=589433

scroll down to the 10th post and he talks about the grease
"Just another Newb"

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
The main shaft that the drive rests on comes greased from the factory. Here's a pretty good thread on drive maintenance:

I've gone through a Hobie or two in my day Hank.. ;) The grease that is on the MD is only for protection while in storage. Grease isn't the right lubricant for the MD as it holds on to dirt and sand. WD40 and the like are the ticket.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008

I've gone through a Hobie or two in my day Hank.. ;) The grease that is on the MD is only for protection while in storage. Grease isn't the right lubricant for the MD as it holds on to dirt and sand. WD40 and the like are the ticket.

Z

How does dry silicon hold up, or does it get washed off pretty quick?

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
How does dry silicon hold up, or does it get washed off pretty quick?

I wash my drive after each use and spray WD40 in the joints on my drive every 10th time fishing. Never had a single problem w/ my drives in 5 years.. so I guess pretty good.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year

Hank

• Herring
I have been told that WD40 will also become gummy and attract dirt and sand at some point. I was also told a better alternative would be Break Free. Any thoughts on that?
"Just another Newb"

yessnoo

• Lingcod
i use break free on my drive amongst many other things...i have had any corrosion problems...but then again i haven't had it very long...i do know if you have rusty tools break free will do a descent job at cleaning them up

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Which lubricants to use in which situation ... An interesting conversation in itself!

-Allen

anything