Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 08:21:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jed
[April 29, 2024, 05:39:20 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 08:40:31 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Knives, knives, knives  (Read 9617 times)

stratocaster

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
I have one of the Gerber Rivermates.  I think it is a quality knife but it is hard to get out of the sheath.  In fact, with it clipped on my pfd it is all but impossible to unsheath which renders it pretty useless.  Going to see about fixing that problem right now.

For years I carried a Spyderco folding kife with a serrated blade.  Was easily opened with one hand, held up well in the saltwater environment, but I seemed to always be snagging the belt clip on something which ultimatley led to its current resting place on the bottom of Mobile Bay.

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I have one of the Gerber Rivermates.  I think it is a quality knife but it is hard to get out of the sheath.  In fact, with it clipped on my pfd it is all but impossible to unsheath which renders it pretty useless.

I wouldn't go say far as to say all but impossible or useless. You just have to use two hands to take it out. No bigs in my book.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

stratocaster

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
Ok, I'll say there is no doubt about the retention capabilities of the sheath :)

I spent about 10 minutes this afternoon just inserting and removing the knife from the sheath in the hopes of loosening it up.  Works much better now. 

As for quality, build, and finish of the knife: definitely top notch. 

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Found this on a knife forum, from June 2008:

"I emailed Gerber about the "rivermate" knife and told them my wife can not pull the knife out of the sheath. They said they had redesigned the sheath because they had a problem with it falling out and now that they redesigned it people were having trouble getting it out at all. They said they were redesigning the sheath again and she would send me two when they had them finished. I'm happy with the knife, it's a great knife, super sharp!!"

You might want to contact Gerber and perhaps they will send you a new, redesigned, redesigned sheath.
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

Yarjammer

• Salmon
  • Captain of the Titanic
  • Date Registered: May 2008
How long ago was this redesign?  The new ones I played with a two different stores both had retention issues (worked too well); this is why I am holding out for the NRS knife.  The NRS has a great little system worked out for their sheath.

Alkasazi

• Lingcod
  • Alkasazi
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
the re-redesigned is due in mid May.

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
How long ago was this redesign?  The new ones I played with a two different stores both had retention issues (worked too well); this is why I am holding out for the NRS knife.  The NRS has a great little system worked out for their sheath.

Beware of that knife. A friend of mine had that and it rusted pretty fast.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year

floatin cowboys

• Lingcod
  • UHMMMM Pizza!!!
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Rust issues brings up a good point on material of the knife. As a chef I would recomend any filet knife or steaking knife (scimitar) made from high carbon stainless. The best metal for a knife is high carbon, but rust way to fast almost beforeyour eyes, then the started to mix alloys and add a chromium attribute to them to help them from rusting. They still get blemishes but like Allen said you can buf them out. In the kitchen the last knife you want is anything that is made from surgical steel, why? because it is way to hard, it may keep an edge for a longer bit of time but when is does lose its edge they are very hard to get it back. Also a good tool to have is a nice steel. A steel does not sharpen the blade but re-aligns the edge. a good steel should be magnetic. so when buying one if you can't pick up a paper clip with it then look for a different one. Also a good stone to sharpen with. I know that REI used to sell a 3 headed stone with an oil bath. use mineral oil.
Just something to think about.
We may live without poetry, music, and art
We may live without conscience and live without heart
We may live without friends, we may live without books;
But civilized man cannot live without cooks

demonick

• Sturgeon
... Also a good tool to have is a nice steel. A steel does not sharpen the blade but re-aligns the edge. a good steel should be magnetic. so when buying one if you can't pick up a paper clip with it then look for a different one. Also a good stone to sharpen with. I know that REI used to sell a 3 headed stone with an oil bath. use mineral oil.
Just something to think about.

I have a fetish about sharp knives and use a steel, a diamond rod, and stones to keep everything sharp.  What is the point of a dull knife?

For years I have wondered about the EdgePro sharpening system:

http://www.edgeproinc.com/

And the RazorEdge system:

http://beast.voltztech.com/~razoredge/product_info.php?products_id=33&osCsid=1bed2fd258c008eeba91305a4356a97d

Any experience or comments?
demonick
DomenickVenezia.com

floatin cowboys

• Lingcod
  • UHMMMM Pizza!!!
You know those systems like edge pro are nice products, but imo a person should learn to do it by hand first instead of using a jig. Kind of like learning a compass and map before a gps. the one thing that I have is electric wet wheel, only because at times I have a lot of knives to do. Its always good to learn to steel a knife by hand, like a butcher, so much faster then having to put it in a jig.
JMO

yessnoo

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2008
i have had the gerber riverrunner (i think its the one with the pointy tip)  its not coming out of the sheath but it is easily removed with one hand...putting it back in usually requires 2 hands though...haven't seen any rust yet but i have only had it for about 4 or 5 months now

people have mixed opinions about pointy knives...i just thought i might need to kill something with it
2008 Hobie Mirage Revolution Fish

demonick

• Sturgeon
people have mixed opinions about pointy knives...i just thought i might need to kill something with it

Talking about killing something, ... in the old days (1960s) when fisherman caught dogfish, they would kill them or cut them up for bait.  Still?
demonick
DomenickVenezia.com

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers

Talking about killing something, ... in the old days (1960s) when fisherman caught dogfish, they would kill them or cut them up for bait.  Still?

Against the law to mutilate ...

-Allen

floatin cowboys

• Lingcod
  • UHMMMM Pizza!!!
You know I read a article a while back about some gov agency wanting to change the comercial name of dog fish to cape shark and try to push there sport harvest of them, touting that they are good to eat. I may let you know later how they taste.

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.

Against the law to mutilate ...

-Allen

And REALLY bad karma too. ;)

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year