Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 03:26:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:15:34 AM]

by jed
[Today at 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Knives, knives, knives  (Read 9669 times)

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Against the law to mutilate ...
-Allen
And REALLY bad karma too. ;)
Z

There is a difference between "mutilate" and kill.  Obviously none of us pull the wings off flies or torture the fish we catch.  Is it really illegal to kill a dogfish and toss it overboard?
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Back in my younger years...  When I was salmon fishing and hooked a squawfish or a sucker it would get whacked on the head and tossed back in without a second thought... after some introspection over the years I have come to realize that I was the one putting the positive or negative "value" on the fish.  The salmon I was after had no more intrinsic value than the bait stealing squawfish. They were both just "making their way" in the aquatic world and equally important to the function of the natural system. One sure tastes better than the other, and I eat a lot of them, but the fact that I place more recreational and food value on the salmon rather than the squawfish doesn't mean the squawfish is without value and thus open to get whacked on the head for no reason other than its an egg stealing nuisance and not what I'm after.

My hope is that when the Aliens finally show up they use this mindset otherwise I'm in a world of hurt ;D

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Back in my younger years...  When I was salmon fishing and hooked a squawfish or a sucker it would get whacked on the head and tossed back in without a second thought... after some introspection over the years I have come to realize that I was the one putting the positive or negative "value" on the fish.  The salmon I was after had no more intrinsic value than the bait stealing squawfish. They were both just "making their way" in the aquatic world and equally important to the function of the natural system. One sure tastes better than the other, and I eat a lot of them, but the fact that I place more recreational and food value on the salmon rather than the squawfish doesn't mean the squawfish is without value and thus open to get whacked on the head for no reason other than its an egg stealing nuisance and not what I'm after.

My hope is that when the Aliens finally show up they use this mindset otherwise I'm in a world of hurt ;D

Well said.

When the aliens show up we are toast.  Technologically advanced cultures always overwhelm less technologically advanced cultures.  Personally, I hope we find them, and not the other way around. 
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

Yarjammer

• Salmon
  • Captain of the Titanic
  • Date Registered: May 2008

Well said.

When the aliens show up we are toast.  Technologically advanced cultures always overwhelm less technologically advanced cultures.  Personally, I hope we find them, and not the other way around. 

You mean they're not already here?  :glasses6::glasses7::alien::glasses6::glasses7:

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
sshhhhhhhh....they aren't supposed ta kno bout us yet, Yar..... >:D
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
the re-redesigned is due in mid May.

I ordered a Gerber Rivermate safety knife from Amazon.com last weekend (26.67 with free shipping).  I received it yesterday, and they have definitely refined the retention issues.  It seems very secure, yet is easy enough to remove and replace in the sheath with one hand.

Now if I only had time to go fishing.

-Craig

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I picked up a Gerber Rivermate from the Lacy Cabela's last month, and clipped it to my PFD.  Even with wet hands, I can grip and pull it free from the sheath with either hand with proper effort.  It doesn't feel sloppy or hung up at all.  Maybe I got lucky and got the new redesigned, redesigned one?  ;)

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

The Nothing

• De nihilo nihil
  • Sturgeon
  • De nihilo nihil
  • YakFish@IOL
  • Date Registered: May 2009
i like knives :D

one of the FIRST things i see myself installing on my yak will be a couple holdzit holders. couple easy to reach locations so that they are always there, plus the couple that will be on my body...  I'm sure you've seen them before, but, if not, check out www.holdzit.com
~Isaac
Blog 'YakFish
ProStaff NRSJackson Kayak | PK Lures | YakAngler

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Did anyone make it to the Gerber tent sale today? Anyone going tomorrow?
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

craig

• Sturgeon
Did anyone make it to the Gerber tent sale today? Anyone going tomorrow?

Where is it being held at??

I may go tomorrow.

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
In their parking lot...your backyard?
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

craig

• Sturgeon
In their parking lot...your backyard?

Thanks.

ryobi1

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
I picked up a River Runner and Rivermate for $12 each @ Gerber.  Great sale, I got a few other knives as well

Madoc

• Lingcod
  • Kayak.Yng
  • Date Registered: May 2009
As I haven't even bought my kayak yet, I don't know if I am going to be more than a troll, but...  as far as knives go for overwater activities, my personal favorite is a Boye dendritic cobalt sheepsfoot folder - absolutely will not rust, not too expensive, and holds a working edge a very, very long time.

Other ones worth looking at are the Spyderco H1 Atlantic Salt or Salt 1 (heck, any of the H1 Salt knives are worth a look).

Both are useable with gloves on, and putting on a dummy cord is pretty simple.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Against the law to mutilate ...
-Allen
And REALLY bad karma too. ;)
Z

There is a difference between "mutilate" and kill.  Obviously none of us pull the wings off flies or torture the fish we catch.  Is it really illegal to kill a dogfish and toss it overboard?

Splitting hairs here.  Mutilating leads to death in most cases.  Yes, it is illegal to kill a dogfish and toss it overboard.  I think that's covered under wanton waste.

-Allen