Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 09:27:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jed
[April 29, 2024, 05:39:20 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 08:40:31 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Waterproof digital cameras  (Read 11484 times)

goldendog

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I was wondering what kind of cameras are being used by the group members to take photos from their kayaks. I would guess that most of you use some sort of waterproof digital camera that also takes video. I am not looking for anything that is professional grade, just an inexpensive, simple camera that can take the occasional splash, and has  the photo quality for sharing on the web. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated!

Dave
Fishing is much more than fish.  It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.  ~Herbert Hoover

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I can't speak for NWKA on this one as I don't think we've discussed it much here yet.  However the favorite among the folks at NCKA are the Pentax Optio W-series cameras.  I believe the current model is the W60.  They're great little cameras, water proof down to 15 ft or so and take decent shots and video. 

Another camera to consider is the Olympus Stylus SW series.  I think the one advantage the Olympus may have over the Pentax is shock resistance.  Olympus claims you can drop them from up to 5 ft.

Personally I use my old 2 MP camera (circa 2001), keep it in a dry bag and try and be careful.

Brian
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

armyjim

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2008
I've been using a little Olympus Stylus that is waterproof to 10 feet and can take the occasional drop. It has an internal lens cover that closes when you turn the camera off and it can take salt water. I've been happy with it so far, and more importantly I haven't broken it (yet).
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1365
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day...
Teach a man to fish and he will sit at his miserable job all day wishing he was fishing...

goldendog

• Salmon
Thanks for the suggestions Brian. I will check them out. I also have an old 1.3mp Olympus that I thought about using. It doesn't take video though, and it's kinda bulky compared to the newer cameras. I do have an old underwater film camera, but it's huge, and I don't want to deal with the film thing. Totally spoiled on digital!
Fishing is much more than fish.  It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.  ~Herbert Hoover

goldendog

• Salmon
Thanks for the link armyjim, I loved my old my Olympus d-460z. Took over 6000 photos with it, mostly of the dogs! Actually my avatar was taken with that camera.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I've been a long time Optio user.  However, after a few years of use the outer lense is getting a tad bit scuffed and my images are no longer as crisp as they used to be.  So I'm looking to pick up a new camera before my next trip.  I'm considering another Optio.  Will let you know my final choice once I make it.

armyjim,  how are Troy and Jon making out up there?

-Allen

ThreeWeight

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Another vote for the Olympus Stylus 850.  I have an older version, have had it for 2-3 years now.  I really like the stainless steel case, and it has withstood lots of abuse.  Takes great pictures, and fairly cheap.

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
I've had the Pentax and the Olympus waterproof cams.

I like the pics I got from the Pentax Optio better. They seemed sharper and better focused in full auto mode. However, I broke two of them. One fell from my pocket to the ground and was dead. The second I did not latch the battery door and put it in the water (dead).

I bought the Olympus because I've had very good results with them in the past and because its shockproof as well as waterproof. I've put the shock resistance to the test often and the battery door latches when you close it (you have to close, then latch it on the Optio).
Subjectively, the stills and video don't seem as well focused as the Pentax and it does not do as well in low light (again, I'm using it in point and shoot mode) But it has held up to my abuse for two years now and takes good pictures.

So if you go slowly slowly, the Optio might be it. If your like me, you might do well with the Olympus.

There's a couple of other new ones at a lower price point (Hero and ???) but I don't have any experience with them.

Oh, whichever one you get, add some key chain floats or a piece of  pool noodle to the strap because they don't float.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 04:11:53 PM by Fishesfromtupperware »
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

armyjim

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2008

armyjim,  how are Troy and Jon making out up there?

-Allen

Good so far. They stayed in Eagle River Saturday, and Yak on the Fly smoked up some of those pinks you all caught. We went bank fishing on the Little Susitna because there were supposed to be silvers in, but I think my fishing luck rubbed off on them, 'cause we got skunked.  :BangHead:
But - they went down to Seward Sunday night, and were going to hook up with the Liquid Adventures guys, so I'm expecting great things.
They are a couple of great guys, and since there ain't a whole lot of other yak fisherman up here, I was glad for the chance to hook up with them. I just wish work would have let me head down to Seward this week  :'(
By all means, if you guys need anything or just want to fish, let me know when you're coming up!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day...
Teach a man to fish and he will sit at his miserable job all day wishing he was fishing...

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2006
on pole's advice I own the Pentax optio as well and don't leave home without it. Great camera, and one keychain float keeps it on the surface if dropped. (washtub tested)
the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
A word of warning about internet deals on cameras (this recently came up on NCKA).

There are a lot of apparently good deals on cameras out there but most of these sites are scams.  They offer the camera at a low low price, but strip it of all it's accessories (you know things like batteries, software, instructions, etc..).  After you order they have you call to confirm and then they try and sell you the extras at highly inflated prices.  If you don't bite on the extras they mysteriously cancel/delay your order.  Anyway, if you find a deal that is too good to be true, it probably is.  I usually do a google search for "[name of company] scam" and see what comes up.

For example, the Pentax Optio W60 should cost about $300-$350 but you can find it online for as low as $200.  Here's an example..BroadwayPhoto.com has it listed for $243 w/ free shipping
http://www.broadwayphoto.com/viewproduct.aspx?id=10026288

A quick google search for "broadwayphoto scam" reveals 100's of posts like the following..
I am new to digital photography and was trying to find the best price for a Nikon D40. I placed an order for $407 after two phone calls to Broadway Photo. The first time I was told I need to buy a charger. The second time I was told the camera comes with accessories. After placing the order I was emailed to call to expedite the overnight delivery otherwise it could take 72 hrs to process the order, I am told the usual battery story of the camera comes with 30 min. battery, I foolishly agrea to second battery. After calling Nikon I call back Broadway and I am told why are you calling Nikon USA. Another call to Nikon and a web search and I figure out the camera is an import. I now call back Broadway and read them the riot act. Now they will sell me a USA model for circuit city price. I say no and they drop the price to $499 and include overnight delivery. So at this point I say ok. After this I find out their reputation and call to cancel. I am told it is too late my order is in the warehouse. So I call my credit card Company to refuse the charge. I am told it is just comming thru and it can be rejected.I was charged $539 on my card. I notify UPS to refuse shipment and breath a sigh of relief. Two calls to my card Company confirm the charge was rejected. Two days later I find out the charge is on my credit card and I have to go thru a written process to get the charge off. I find out by the tracking No. that Broadway recieved back the camera and signed for it. Every time I email Broadway I am told the package was shipped. I have filed a complaint with the New York BBB. On Monday I will be calling Broadway again. Any suggestions will be apprciated. I don't have alot of money. Why is this comapny allowed to stay in business???

That said.. Amazon.com is having a sale on the Olympus stylus SW series...
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=Olympus%20Stylus&search-type=ss&index=electronics

Purchasing through Amazon is usually a safer bet than buying from some random website.
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

• Date Registered: Sep 2007
Mine is an Olympus Stylus 725 SW.  I originally bought it for catch and release fly fishing cause it was really small and waterproof.  However, now it's my "I carry it everywhere" camera.  The picture quality is not as good as other cameras I own (Digial SLR, and Canon Powershot), but it's MUCH better than not having a picture cause I didn't have the camera.  It fits real nice in my PFD pocket and have tested the waterproofiness (is that word) and shockyproofiness (I know that can't be a word, but you get the idea) and has held up great.  
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

goldendog

• Salmon
Brian,

I have had one of those experiences with less that truthful online deals. I bought my Sony f-828 several years back from a place called Butterfly photo. It was a great deal at the time. The next day a salesman called me at home and pushed real hard to sell me extra stuff. Then magically, the camera was backordered. It took almost a month before I received it. They had charged my credit card when I placed the order, and I thought for sure I was getting ripped off. I was so relieved when I got the camera intact, and would never buy again from those guys. I have had real good service with B&H photo in New York. That's probably where I will get my next camera from.

Thanks everyone for the great advice. It's going to be tough to make a decision!

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Adorama and B&H are the only New York dealers that seem totally honest and reliable. fast shipping too, they don't rip you off on handling charges.
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I'm thinking about checking this one out.  Sanyo E1 waterproof video camera with 6MP photo support.

http://us.sanyo.com/entertainment/cameracorder/index.cfm?productID=1495

-Allen

anything