Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 05:21:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:53:02 PM]

[Today at 09:33:15 AM]

by DBam
[May 06, 2024, 10:23:23 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 05:31:42 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Kokatat vs Sweet Protection vs Stohlquist vs Level Six  (Read 5337 times)

DBam

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
It's time for a new drysuit, and I'll take a look at all these models in the coming weeks as I have time and as physical distancing procedures allow:

https://westerncanoekayak.com/apparel-2-0/mens/drysuits-drytops/

I had a used Stohlquist suit, the seams tore on my first multiday trip. My feet used to go numb after wearing it for a couple hours and it didn't have a relief zipper. I'll definitely try them all on for fit/comfort and ease of using the bathroom. The questions I had for the NWKA think-tank are

1) what are people's customer service and warranty/guarantee experiences?
2) how does the competition stand up against Kokatat's legendary service and warranty/guarantee?
3) I'm a stocky 5'4" 160-170 lbs athletic build, not slim but no pudge, and my wrists, neck and ankles are what the kids call 'thic'. Any specific advice for sizing or things I should be taking into consideration?
4) are there value considerations? I'm not opposed to going with the Kokatat Meridian if it's the clear winner and fits comfortably, but I'm not opposed to spending less if it makes sense.

TIA, DBam

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
I bought my bitter half a Level 6 Trident suit - she uses it for clamming because she is afraid of falling down in the surf and being sucked out to sea, not to use her kayak before July - and we have found it to be well made, and the internal cords provide good adjustability. Had to trim the gaskets to fit her, and I do wish the feet had fabric socks instead of just being ankle cuffs. She wears neoprene socks and much boots, so far her feet haven't gotten wet, much less cold.

No customer service experience. But I can say the quality of the product is quite good.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
If you can afford it, the Meridian is the way to go.  You can wash it (don't try that with the others), Kokatat offers a leak check/R&R service and if they find any issues with the materials during the leak check, they'll replace the suit with a new one.  I personally know at least 6 people who had what appeared to be perfectly good suits replaced for free because Kokatat didn't like what they saw during a pressure test.

Disclaimer:  I am a Kokatat ambassador, but don't just go by what I say, search the forum for "Kokatat" and you'll hear the same thing from a lot of people.

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I have a GUL front entry Drysuit that is a Men's Medium - size wise, would likely fit you perfectly.   
It is claimed that this sailing suit is waterproof/breathable, but I don't believe the breathable claim.
I inherited an older model Kokatat last fall and it is FAR superior material.  I think it's a basic GFER (GoreTex, FrontEntry, Relief zip).  If you have the coin, Kokatat is indeed the way to go.

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I am not a Kokatat ambassador.  I do have four Kokatat Drysuits because they are awesome and because someone many of us know left his in my car and moved to NC two years ago. He finally figured it out a few days ago.  ;D The 2 adult sized dry suits I own are Meridians. I also own one that is for kids, but it is a used one I picked up at Next Adventure and I do not know the model.

I am 6 feet tall with an extremely athletic build - if you consider a first baseman from the major leagues in the 1930s as athletic.  I use a size L for Spring, summer and Fall fishing.  In the winter I have an XL ,so I can comfortably get layers on underneath. I got lucky and found this one - which had been used twice - for $290.  Although I do not get out much in a kayak in the winter anymore, I use this suit for steelhead bank fishing.  It keeps me warm and dry.  If I am going into a brambly area I will put a camo Frog Toggs waterproof bib overalls on to add protection to the suit.  It also works great like this for duck hunting.  As for the neck being tight, you can carefully trim the gasket back until you can stand it.  Mine is actually trimmed back substantially and I got pounded hard in the surf twice last summer on a day that may not have been the best surf launch day and still remained dry.  I was under water a couple of times trying to flip the kayak over.

I am one of those people that "won" the Kokatat goretex delamination lottery. I bought my first Kokatat Drysuit in February 2009.  Every couple of years I would send it in for (at the time) the $25 pressure test and patching of holes.  In 2016, after 7 years of poking holes in it with hooks and sturgeon scutes, I sent it in for patching.  I got an email telling to choose a new suit because mine was not serviceable due to delamination. They are awesome.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 10:39:05 AM by craig »

• Date Registered: Dec 2018
The whole "breathable" conversation is pretty null. The DWR (durable water repellent) that they put on the suits wears off pretty fast, and once the suit "wets out" (this is the notable difference from when water beads up on the suit to when you start seeing it absorb) the fabric is soaked and therefore cannot breathe. This is the case with literally any manufacturer in the game today. Of course if you're staying high and dry, then breathability is nice. I've used suits from Immersion Research, Level 6, Stohlquist, Kokatat, and a couple of other defunct brands over the years and honestly can say that when you reach the point of a quality $900-1300 suit, there is no notable difference in breathability.
I also base a lot of my choice in products on how much the brand supports the local industry (sponsoring events, having a local presence, etc.). Immersion Research recently opened a repair/retail shop in White Salmon, which has been pretty awesome to work with as a partner, they also make incredible gear. I've been using one of their dry tops for a while now and I love it. I'm using also using Level 6 Emperor suit, which in my opinion can't be beat for the money. The reinforced material in the knees, seat, and elbows is brilliant and helps prevent a lot of wear for anglers in particular.

DBam

• Rockfish
Thanks for all the replies and private messages. I'll start by doing the online questionnaire on the Kokatat website and also looking at a couple brands mentioned that weren't on the WCK website.

DBam

• Rockfish
After looking around the Kokatat website I realised that I needed to start paying attention to the model names. I think the model I need is the Supernova, not the Meridian. And the Gore-Tex Supernova is $890 CAD, so I get a great price on a Kokatat compared to the price of the Meridian. For kayak fishing I don't see any need for the Meridian; am I wrong to assume that?

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
No.  Not unless a latex neck gasket is important to you.

And unless you're really married to the idea of Gore-Tex, the Hydrus 3 version of the Supernova Angler is even cheaper.   The Gore-Tex version will "breathe" better - which can get to be important in warmer weather - but they're equally durable.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

DBam

• Rockfish
I think I'll opt for breathability and get the Gore-Tex suit. I find I'm only out on the kayak during warmer months anyways. Sounds like the Supernova has a neoprene neck, I'm thinking that's got to be more comfortable than latex. I really like the idea of going with Kokatat, I want that customer service and peace of mind.

If I save some money over the Meridian I'll put it towards a new TLD 25.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
I think I'll opt for breathability and get the Gore-Tex suit. I find I'm only out on the kayak during warmer months anyways. Sounds like the Supernova has a neoprene neck, I'm thinking that's got to be more comfortable than latex. I really like the idea of going with Kokatat, I want that customer service and peace of mind.

If I save some money over the Meridian I'll put it towards a new TLD 25.

I think you will be very happy, I upgraded two years ago to the Kokatat Gore-Tex SuperAngler with the lighter color legs and just love it.  It breathes, especially noticeable in windy conditions! 

https://www.outdoorplay.com/Kokatat-GORE-TEX-Supernova-Angler-Paddling-Suit 

PS- 20% off is about the best I have seen, that's what I got on mine.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 02:18:00 PM by rogerdodger »
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Yak fisher

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
Currently have Stohlquist, but had to send it back after 1.5 year of casual fishing. Both feet started getting moisture in and in the winter that is no go. Warranty covered factory fix and it's not leaking now (after 1 more year of fishing), but I will shop for something better in the future.
Fishing 3-4 times in a month, year round. Not wearing it in the summer.

DBam

• Rockfish
Got this baby in the mail yesterday. I waited a little too long and they ran out of Gore-Tex angler suits in my size so this is the Hyrus.

Quick question about the wrist gaskets. Will Kokatat still warranty them if I trim them down?

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008

Got this baby in the mail yesterday. I waited a little too long and they ran out of Gore-Tex angler suits in my size so this is the Hyrus.

Quick question about the wrist gaskets. Will Kokatat still warranty them if I trim them down?
Latex wrist gaskets are a consumable.  They are not covered under warranty because they do not last more than a couple of years.  They are also easy to replace. Sunscreen will quicken their demise.