Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 08:24:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:24:50 PM]

[Today at 02:19:35 PM]

[Today at 01:10:00 PM]

[Today at 11:40:28 AM]

[Today at 10:55:19 AM]

[Today at 10:49:19 AM]

by [WR]
[May 18, 2024, 04:51:53 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:35:26 PM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Stick Jackets  (Read 3056 times)

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
I saw these in Gander Mt today and they look slicker than snot.

It's a braided tube rod cover and looks like it would be perfect to slide over your rod to stow it below deck. Should help keep the guides from catching and offer some protection to the rod. Anybody used one before?

http://www.stickjacket.com/Web/Home.php
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 03:02:37 AM by Fishesfromtupperware »
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

Yarjammer

• Salmon
  • Captain of the Titanic
  • Date Registered: May 2008
FFTW- you can find those sleeves at the big box stores.  We used them in the Navy for thread protectors on exposed fasteners and as idiot-cuffs.

What does that setup cost?

FFTW- you can find those sleeves at the big box stores.  We used them in the Navy for thread protectors on exposed fasteners and as idiot-cuffs.

What does that setup cost?

Somehow I thought someone would know these from something else. Cool! I've seen the small sizes (<1") and they are good for fly tying material, but I have not seen them this big. Box stores like home despot? I have not seen it there but I'll look.
Gander Mt wanted $10, the manufacturer gets $7 to $9 bucks.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
looks like the $40-70 rod storage bags[ depending on mfr.] from basspro i've been loking at. nice but a bit thick to try and slide inside the rod pod.
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

squidgirl

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
you know this looks like something that i or anyone that sews can make out of something like ripstop or a lightweight canvas. for alot cheaper then you can buy.  and i would be wiling to work with a few of you and make some for you guys or gals.

"Life is short lets go fishing"

WR
I'm just talking about the the hard plastic woven tube that goes over the rod like a Chinese finger trap. I agree that that bag would be a bit too big and cumbersome for the boat.

SG:
Rip stop sleeves/bags are sweet as well and sell for considerably more. I have one with a faux sheepskin liner around the reel that was about $30. I bought it a long time ago for going in and out of the surf. I never used it much because the sheepskin would get soaked and the sleeve needed to be a bit sturdier to adequately protect the guides to let them slide in and out of the hull. These are appealing because they are somewhat stiffer than the nylon sleeve and don't hold any water (and they are cheap!). But a ripstop sleeve with a finger puzzle liner might be nice.

What I'd REALLY like is a rod pod style hatch (long and narrow)with a 3" to 4" rod tube inside the hull for rod storage. I've been diddling with that idea for while but I have not found a lightweight/ light gauge "hard tube that big around as PVC that size is too heavy. I think the Hobie pro fish is about the closest I've seen to doing that.

squidgirl

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Wali.......  Have you looked and the black sewage pipe its alot lighter then the gray or white schedule 80 PVC.  We have a store up here that sales all types of waterproof material and canvas stuff. Mayb a road trip when WR gets home to do some browsing and shopping

Wali can you get me the measurements of your rip stop one. and i can get a idea of what size i need to make and i will give it a shot.

Ripstop is only a little waterproof i can check out some of the material are drysuits are made out of and maybe put a flannel or some fak fur around the end for the reel.
"Life is short lets go fishing"

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Wali, try making your own tube.  Take the PVC diameter of your choice, and clean the outside surface really good.  Add a generous layer of bees wax to it, and spiral wrap it with fiberglass and resin.  Do a few layers crisscrossing fibers to make it rigid.  Pop it off the PVC and finish it with your favorite color of paint.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Wali, try making your own tube.  Take the PVC diameter of your choice, and clean the outside surface really good.  Add a generous layer of bees wax to it, and spiral wrap it with fiberglass and resin.  Do a few layers crisscrossing fibers to make it rigid.  Pop it off the PVC and finish it with your favorite color of paint.

That exactly has been the plan for a looooong time, but I just have not found that particular round tuit. ;)   Paint? Paint, schmaint! Paint is for marketing, I'm strictly R&D ;D Besides, its going inside the hull.

SG
I have not seen any light enuf sewer pipe other than the corrugated stuff and that stuff is waaay too catchy. Is the pipe your talking about slick?
That bag is 7' to 8' long and I guess the the pattern would look like the letter "P" with a backwards "P" stuck together, spine to spine ???.  But I'm not sure a waterproof case (lined or not) would be very useful on the boat as it would inevitably get wet and hold moisture against the rod and reel. It'd makes a good transportation case though.

anything