Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 10:23:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:24:50 PM]

[Today at 02:19:35 PM]

[Today at 01:10:00 PM]

[Today at 11:40:28 AM]

[Today at 10:55:19 AM]

[Today at 10:49:19 AM]

by [WR]
[May 18, 2024, 04:51:53 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:35:26 PM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: lead lure molds  (Read 15270 times)

The Nothing

• De nihilo nihil
  • Sturgeon
  • De nihilo nihil
  • YakFish@IOL
  • Date Registered: May 2009
was thinking that's the new Best Of... though its not even on our forum!
~Isaac
Blog 'YakFish
ProStaff NRSJackson Kayak | PK Lures | YakAngler

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Eric G is the man when it comes to luremaking.  I first met him online maybe 8 years ago when I was way into albacore fishing.  I had some great exchanges with him on fishing technique, lure presentation, and lure making.  He's been doing this stuff for a long time and his results are always quality.

-Allen

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2006
WOW! that is the ghetto lure for me!
 and here I was gonna smell hot lead and get burned prolly.
 I am off to the thrift store today!
 Thanks Pole2, you have put a spot of sunshine in my day...again.
 time to get busy.... :banjo:
the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I have made a bunch of these.  Heed his advise on the drilling, low speed and slow pressure with lots of oil. Took me a few bits to get the hang of it. A drill press really helps.  The black rockfish really liked these, but what don't they like ;D.  Buying the hooks in bulk at Englund Marine will save you some coin too.

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
While you can make an exact copy of the shape, many lures fiddle with the distribution of weight within a lure.  You may need to experiment to get the action you are looking for.

-Allen
with lures for bass I think you're right but for rockfish a hunk of metal with some flat sides provides enough action to make them bite.

WOW! that is the ghetto lure for me!
 and here I was gonna smell hot lead and get burned prolly.
 I am off to the thrift store today!
 Thanks Pole2, you have put a spot of sunshine in my day...again.
 time to get busy.... :banjo:
I'm not sure which turns out easier to do. While pouring hot lead is a PITA so is drilling and cuttin stainless steel. PPaddler is not kidding about using a lot of oil.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
While you can make an exact copy of the shape, many lures fiddle with the distribution of weight within a lure.  You may need to experiment to get the action you are looking for.

-Allen
with lures for bass I think you're right but for rockfish a hunk of metal with some flat sides provides enough action to make them bite.

Hah!  I think I'm right no matter what, since I wasn't talking about how appealing they are to rockfish or any other fish for that matter.   ;D  The point I was making was even if you think you are making a copy, you likely aren't because duplicating every aspect of a given lure

-Allen

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
I made a few knife lures, but haven't been on the salt yet to try them on fish.  I did tie em on and toss them in Hagg Lake one day to see how they react.  I have one that was an IKEA knife of some sort that had a handle that was long and slim.  There was NO drilling on the knife side, as it had some kind of German Kung-Fu tempering done to it.  I heated that sucker cherry red 3 times and never could get a drill to bite.  Ended up just shooting a hole through it with my plasma cutter.   ;D

Anyways, that IKEA knife handle was slender yet round.  It would dart one way when I let it drop in the water.  Then pull up on it and release, and it would dart another way.  Completely unpredictable. 

One of the other knife handle lures I made, fludders nicely.  Can't wait to try em.

Also want to try something with the blades themselves.  Maybe put a kink in the middle so it causes it to fludder like a wounded fish.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
good Karma pays off!

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
 while wanting to start making these lures, I reralised I needed a drill press for ease and accuracy. Alas, I have not a drill press.
 However, when I went to drop off a "frequently borrowed by this Man tool", I spotted a small drill press on his bench, collecting dust and slightly rusted base. I mentioned I needed to get me one of those and VOILA! He gave it to me.
 My Wife picked up a couple butter knives from the thrift store, and after work today....I start (one of) my winter project.
 Thanks NWKA

Scott

• Lingcod
  • High Desert Fun
This was fun, I too hit the thrift store.  I exited with 11 hand picked Oneida steel knives for cutting and grinding.  Last night I ventured through the snow to Grandpa's Shop.  One knife and a dark ale later, a beutiful ling killer emerges!!!

I will post a pic of my precious (you have to say it like Gollum) tonight.

I wore safety glasses, oiled the steel saw, oiled the drill, went slow, and was very thankful for bench grinder.  I had to wear gloves for the grinding, steel hot...burn hand!

Cost of a thrift store table knife...twenty cents.  Cost of a dark ale...(free stole from grandpa)...cost of producing a fine lure in the shop with Grandpa...Priceless!
-Scott

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
One day this summer I was on the water with Guitarzan of NCKA.  He made his own getto/lazy version of the knife jig.  Basically all he did was drill a hole where the blade meets the handle.  A split ring was added with a swivel to tie the line to and a hook.  That's it, no other modifications.  The thing would helicopter down to the bottom ... AND IMMEDIATELY HOOKING UP!!!  Lings, reds and a ton of gophers.  I was fishing right next to him and would hook up at perhaps 1/3 or 1/4 the rate he was and I was trying megabaits and swimbaits.

-Allen

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Earlier this year I picked up a dozen or so knives from Goodwill with the same plan. They are still sitting in the bottom of a box. It sounds like it is time to break out the drill and get to drillin'
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

amb

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
This looks really cool.  Gotta give this a try.  Thanks for the tip p2.

- Alan

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
not to hijack this thread....but I have to ask stealheader, are you a little feat fan?  8)
 I just noticed your avatar ;)

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
not to hijack this thread....but I have to ask stealheader, are you a little feat fan?  8)
 I just noticed your avatar ;)

Nice catch. The last time we were in Astoria I saw this on the side of an old building and snapped away!

Jay
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

anything