Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 08:32:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:58:56 PM]

[Today at 01:53:02 PM]

by DBam
[May 06, 2024, 10:23:23 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 05:31:42 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: FG Knot  (Read 3110 times)

Justin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Have any of you used the FG Knot to connect your braid to a mono leader?  It looks like it may work pretty good compared to other knots.  I currently use the UNI to UNI for mine.

It is said that the braid end will eventually get fraid if you are reeling it though your rod eyes a lot.  I'm wondering if some superglue on the knot after it's tied would help this out.

I use braid on a lot of my reels, I'm wondering if I need to change.

Here's a video of how to tie it.

aka - JoeSnuffy

Stand UP! Stand Up and Shout!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/OutdoorsJustin?feature=mhee

DWB123

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
i haven't tried it, but i've been using the uni-to-uni for fluoro/mono-to-braid for years and haven't ever had a single issue with fraying or anything else. 

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Is it just me, or is the guy in the video making a friendship bracelet?
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

The Nothing

• De nihilo nihil
  • Sturgeon
  • De nihilo nihil
  • YakFish@IOL
  • Date Registered: May 2009
That FG Knot sure seems cool, but it also seems like a lot of work to me. I've been tying the Albright and Double Albright for years and they have never failed me.
~Isaac
Blog 'YakFish
ProStaff NRSJackson Kayak | PK Lures | YakAngler

Justin

• Sturgeon
I tied one at lunch time on one of my bass rods (30lb braid dropped down to 10lb mono).  It was actually pretty easy to tie once I got started.  I've actually taken longer tying uni to uni.

I pulled as hard as I could (without cutting my hands) and it didn't slip.  When I get home I'm going to find some weights to test its strength.
aka - JoeSnuffy

Justin

• Sturgeon
Just did a little test with it.  I have 10lb extra tough mono (I guess it's more like 12 lb) that I connected.  I hooked my 8lb anchor to it and lifted it up.  It didn't break. 
Then, since I'm a scientist, I started bouncing the anchor off of the end, it still didn't break. 
Not sure what that means exactly but if it's durability holds up, I might be using this knot from now on. I'll need to go fishing to test is out (darn).

I don't have a scale to pull on to test what the actual breaking strength is.
aka - JoeSnuffy

crackergraham

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
I used this knot for a day of fishing 30b braid to 14lb flouro...  Caught several walleye, largest 21.5"... and pulled blade baits loose from hangups with no real problem.  Certainly adequate for winter lake fishing.  Small diameter was great for casting all day long as well.
--—•—--
2nd Place 2015 Salmon Slayride
6th Place 2015 AOTY
5th Place 2016 AOTY
--—•—--

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Just did a little test with it.  I have 10lb extra tough mono (I guess it's more like 12 lb) that I connected.  I hooked my 8lb anchor to it and lifted it up.  It didn't break. 
Then, since I'm a scientist, I started bouncing the anchor off of the end, it still didn't break. 
Not sure what that means exactly but if it's durability holds up, I might be using this knot from now on. I'll need to go fishing to test is out (darn).

I don't have a scale to pull on to test what the actual breaking strength is.
You don't have a fish scale you can pull down against? And you say your a scientist,sheesh! LOL  ;D

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I like Alberto's Knot - a minor variation on an Albright - because the braid gets covered by wraps of mono, but this looks intriguing - as long as I don't need to tie it anywhere that's not in the kitchen.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 05:43:53 AM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

redfish85

• Lingcod
  • sunrise OK Prowler T13
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
I dont have to much faith in mono to braid knots since I've had to many fail on me aside for the uni... I'd rather do something like a Bimini or a perfection loop an use a wind on leader if I need a long leader on my braid.  For the most part though I just tie a snap swivel on the end of my braid since I dont target many species that are leader shy...

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
The FG knot is a pretty cool looking knot.  I'll have to try it some time.  I have a couple of books on knot tying, and I like to try out interesting new knots from time to time.  But for actual day-to day fishing, I use a more low-tech red-neck technique, which has the advantage of being very convenient and flexible.

I use braided line to fish for a variety of species.  I tie a snap hook at the end of my braided line, using something basic like an improved clinch knot.  Then I tie a loop in the rod end of each of my leaders, so I can change from leader to leader in a couple of seconds.  Some of the leaders are tied directly to a lure, such as with a wedding ring lure for kokanee.  Other leaders have a second snap hook at their end, so I can switch the leader from lure to lure in a couple of seconds during the day.  If I decide to use a flasher or a dodger, I clip it to the snap swivel at the end of the braided line, and clip the loop on my leader to a snap swivel attached at the bottom of the flasher or dodger.  On a typical day of fishing, I don't tie a single knot when I'm out on the water.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 07:54:12 AM by pmmpete »

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I quit using snap swivels to connect leaders for light weight freshwater fishing.  Swivels yes, snap no.
Have had too many of the brass colored ones come open, and the duo snap style seem to snag light line.

Started using the Albright knot about 5 years ago tipping 10lb braid main line with 10lb mono (usually at least 10 to 15 feet).  This way I can use the mono as a sacrificial bumper line and usually tied directly to lures.

My confidence in the Albright was further supported when I was able to fight and land a 43" - 35.5 lb bull redfish on my bait rod with above mentioned 10lb braid/10lb mono combo down in Louisiana without breaking the knot. 

I saw the FG knot referenced about the same time Justin posted it and it certainly does look like a good alternative to the Albright for sure.  Might even be easier to tie with some practice. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

1simplemann

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2015
The FG or "Sebile" knot is the strongest and smallest braid to Fluro knot there is.   BUT!!!!  It is also at least for  me the most time consuming B-2-F knot that I know of. I can't tie it quickly enough for it to suit my needs although I will use it on heavy leader just so it goes thru the guides better. I generally use the Alberto knot which I can tie quickly and it is plenty strong for my needs. It also goes thru the guides a little better than a Uni 2 Uni.
Have Kayak, Will Travel!