Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 06:02:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 17, 2024, 08:35:26 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 05:31:18 AM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: This Recovery Might Take A While  (Read 8912 times)

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Mark, take care of yourself.  Especially that foot. Don't want to be calling you peg leg.

I know how frustrating the recovery periods can be. It took me two years to be able to walk and sit or even drive comfortably again after desert storm. To fix me it was meatball laminectomy, dischotomy, lumbar fusion, and some other detail I've long since forgotten.  It takes time, period.

This year has been trying for me health wise also. Lost the sight in the right eye in April,  they restored it, and then 3 days before I was to be cleared for it in August,  4 days before an Albacore trip, I lost the sight in the left eye. ( I made the trip, doc was pissed. I had surgery  2 days later ) 3 surgeries later I'm told it will be at least a year before I have significant sight restored in the left. So, fishing and activities like driving and work have been severely degraded.

I don't like forced inactivity. I know you don't either. Having to sit,  sleep and walk face down for 6 weeks plain sucks. In fact its tiresome in and of itself, so I get where you're coming from. 

All I can offer for advice is to be patient and make the best of it. You'll get better, and we'll see each other on the water next year.
Rich
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Mark, take care of yourself.  Especially that foot. Don't want to be calling you peg leg.

I know how frustrating the recovery periods can be. It took me two years to be able to walk and sit or even drive comfortably again after desert storm. To fix me it was meatball laminectomy, dischotomy, lumbar fusion, and some other detail I've long since forgotten.  It takes time, period.

This year has been trying for me health wise also. Lost the sight in the right eye in April,  they restored it, and then 3 days before I was to be cleared for it in August,  4 days before an Albacore trip, I lost the sight in the left eye. ( I made the trip, doc was pissed. I had surgery  2 days later ) 3 surgeries later I'm told it will be at least a year before I have significant sight restored in the left. So, fishing and activities like driving and work have been severely degraded.

I don't like forced inactivity. I know you don't either. Having to sit,  sleep and walk face down for 6 weeks plain sucks. In fact its tiresome in and of itself, so I get where you're coming from. 

All I can offer for advice is to be patient and make the best of it. You'll get better, and we'll see each other on the water next year.
Rich

Look on the bright side, Rich.  Mark's peg leg and your eye patch would make you naturals for a Pirate Kayak Fishing Team.  Practice your "Arr-rgh!"

Not being able to see is one of the things I most dread.  My sincerest best wishes for your full recovery, too.

Kevin 
Everything will be all right in the end, so if it's not all right, then it's not yet the end.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Ha! Thanks Kevin. Wife gives me crap about it because our anniversary is Sept
 19th. ( national talk like a pirate day, and yes, I've worn a patch )
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011

I can do a very realistic aaaaarrgggggh. Have played a pirate for many years.

As far as my foot------ it is coming along great. Have been able to put on a low cut hiking boot for a few days now. I keep the laces pretty loose but it is still a small victory. Haven't tried the steel toe boot yet , but that will be soon. Santa brought me a new chainsaw. You just know that won't sit idle for long. .........
  5 weeks out of a break sounds about right for a near full recovery to me. And by next week---- should  be about as good as it will get. That said------ I do get an occasional "lightning bolt" of pain to remind me of my own mortality. Probably a good thing to listen to  ......... but I got a new toy to play with. And play I will.

I never made it out fishing in 2016.  That will be a 1st never to be repeated. I will be fishing in 2017.

A magnificent thanks to everyone for your encouragement this year. It means a lot to an old fart like me. Let us all understand how fragile life can be and has been mentioned in a few other recent posts---take care of yourself. Medical issues suck the life out of you. Take care of them and be all that you can be.

Let's all make 2017 as great as we can. Life is short----- have to live it tall.
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Great attitude, Mark!  Thank you.
Everything will be all right in the end, so if it's not all right, then it's not yet the end.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
Thank you for the update, Mark. You're an inspiration. We're pulling for you. I want to see you hoisting a fish in 2017!

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
Mark - Glad to hear you're doing better, ya tough old bird. My prayers are with you. Hope to see you in Tillamook this spring.

anything