Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 01:14:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Plap
[Today at 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

by jed
[May 14, 2024, 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Tinker's first saltwater fish!!  (Read 3306 times)

surf12foot

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
Not going to say much about it but a man, a kayak and a flyrod, it can't get any better. Tinker can fill in all the details about his first saltwater fish.
Scott

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
An occasion for celebration !!
Way to go Kevin!

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Not going to say much about it but a man, a kayak and a flyrod, it can't get any better. Tinker can fill in all the details about his first saltwater fish.
Nicely done!  Great to see success with a fly rod. Not only that but it got him moved up nine places in AOTY.
The two best times to fish is when it’s raining and when it ain’t. -Patrick McManus

Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I only have one question: when the hell were we in water that flat?  I remember being all alone half the time when you were hidden behind the swells.  I also remember having to look way up at you riding a swell, or way down at you when I was riding one.  It was FREAKING AWESOME out there.

The fish hit like a truck, then stalled long enough for me to think I was snagged in the kelp, and then it headed for the bottom.  I did, in fact, holler "Fish!" so you must have been in a trough and couldn't hear me.  The heavy eight weight bent in half and I was sure it was a ling - or a medium-sized whale.

I believe I said I thought I'd hooked a ling.  Many times.  In a calm but loud voice.  Sadly, it wasn't - it just felt like one.

I learned that there ain't no trout can compare to a marine fish on a fly rod.  Holy cow!  I forgot all I know about fly fishing!  I was - and still am - stunned that it didn't break off and that I didn't break the rod.

Taking the pictures for AOTY nearly did me in and I'm apologize for leaving early.  One fish and out - OFO - should be my NWKA nickname.  What I was sure was impending sea sickness was more likely dehydration and starvation.  It took two liters of water and stop at Taco Bell to fix me up on the way home.

I also learned that I shouldn't check things off my list when packing until I've actually packed them.  Halfway up, I remembered the battery box was still at home, safe and happy on the charger, but I'd checked it off the list.  My net was also checked off but had only made it as far as leaning against the garage door.

And I need to add "Eat breakfast!" to the list.

I don't think I'll ever forget what it was like to be sitting in the kayak watching a mound of water twice as high as my head moving towards me.  It was FREAKING AWESOME!

And I learned that an iPhone 4 doesn't like chartreuse Hawg Troughs on overcast days.  Thanks for accepting AOTY photos that are that blown-out, guys.  I appreciate it.

I caught a fish!  I caught a fish!  Yea me!

And thank you, Scott.  It was a helluva half-day.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 06:48:01 AM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Nicely done!  Great to see success with a fly rod. Not only that but it got him moved up nine places in AOTY.

Twenty six with a bullet!  You get ten percent of the credit for getting me up there - your teasing was not in vain!

Didn't get this into the AOTY photos: this was the fly.  It was a very patriotic fish...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 04:41:36 PM by Tinker »

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Tinker, that was an awesome write up of your first experience in the ocean (if I read that right).

You also learned A LOT in one trip, and that is usually where it changes you. 
-Leaving shore on an empty stomach.
-Dicking around taking pictures of your lap on an empty stomach. 
-Checking items off your list before they actually get packed.
-Going from being nervous of a swell coming at you, to looking forward to them (in moderation). 
-Flat water can get boring, but it is welcome when trying to get from point A to point B.

Just wait until you start experiencing whales in very close proximity.  People pay ridiculous amounts of money to be chauffeured around to see and take pictures of whales.  You can get it as a side show.

Get yourself a few more trips under your belt in ocean, catch some big lings, or cabby's and trout fishing will pretty much drift off your radar.   >:D

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
Congrats, Tinker! That's a nice rockfish. You're ahead of me in the fly-caught division now, I need to get out fishing! :)

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Tinker - your AOTY average is much higher than all competitors!  Way to get on the board with a massive salty fish!!  Yay, you!!

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
awesome.  Fly rod is a challenge on a kayak in the ocean!

was the picture taken with a wide angle lens? I'm always surprised at how small the waves look when I shoot a video or pic with my gopro. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

• Chris
  • True Life: I'm Addicted To Kayak Fishing
  • Date Registered: Jun 2012
Way to go Tinker!
1st Place 2015 Chinook Showdown 
8th Place 2014 AOTD
1st Place 2013 AOTD                        
"Everyone should believe in something,  I believe I'll go fishing."

Sponsorship and Support:
Waxer's Surf Shop
Hobie Fishing Team
Lancer Jigs
Pro-Cure Scents

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Tinker, that was an awesome write up of your first experience in the ocean (if I read that right).

Just wait until you start experiencing whales in very close proximity.  People pay ridiculous amounts of money to be chauffeured around to see and take pictures of whales.  You can get it as a side show.

Get yourself a few more trips under your belt in ocean, catch some big lings, or cabby's and trout fishing will pretty much drift off your radar.   >:D

Yes sir, first time out in saltwater, and surf12foot is an unbelievably good senior partner.  I am truly grateful.

I love swells!  If there's been a hint of wind, I might have felt differently, but it's even better being out there than I imagined and I think the swells - in moderation - made it even better.  I didn't put that down as one of the things I learned, but it was the best lesson of the day: swells are a never-ending carnival ride!

I'd have had one of the Great Times, Ever even if I hadn't caught a fish.  This time.

But we disagree on one thing.  Trout fishing?  That's something I used to do...   8)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 11:50:57 AM by Tinker »

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
awesome.  Fly rod is a challenge on a kayak in the ocean!

was the picture taken with a wide angle lens? I'm always surprised at how small the waves look when I shoot a video or pic with my gopro. 

Thanks, Rudy.  surf12foot has put up with my silly questions about fly fishing the ocean for months.  It's definitely a challenge, but at least I knew the right setup.

I don't know about the camera.  Had to be a wide-angle lens because I remember that fish being at least a foot longer...

Congrats, Tinker! That's a nice rockfish. You're ahead of me in the fly-caught division now, I need to get out fishing! :)

Thank you, Cap'n.  That's very gracious of you.  Now go fishing.

Way to go Tinker!

Giving credit where it's due, you sent me a PM a l-o-n-g time ago that first got me to start thinking, "I need to get out of freshwater."  I finally did it.  Thanks!

Tinker - your AOTY average is much higher than all competitors!  Way to get on the board with a massive salty fish!!  Yay, you!!

My average would be lower if I'd remembered that the bass I caught in the Coquille were legal...  but yeah, if I look at it that way, I'm having a very good year.  Thanks, Barb!

« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 11:52:46 AM by Tinker »

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Congratulations, Tinker. (Ahem, it was high time.)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Congratulations, Tinker. (Ahem, it was high time.)

You're being too kind, C.  You'd know it was way past high time!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 11:04:15 AM by Tinker »