Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:34:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: FOUND ONE - I broke my Mod Pod  (Read 2550 times)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I broke my new style, hinged Mod Pod II for my Trident 13.  It broke at the hinge and tore out a chuck of the hatch cover - I can't see any way to repair it because of the silly thing is molded.  I can't find any place that has one in stock and not even Ocean Kayak has them - which is odd because it's a part that should still be covered under their warranty.

Without that cover, I have a great big, gaping hole in the deck until I find a replacement, and the Trident isn't seaworthy without it.

If anyone knows where I might buy one, or has one to sell (fat chance on that), please let me know.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 11:22:00 AM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Pictures or it never happened.  :icon_scratch:

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
I broke my new style, hinged Mod Pod II for my Trident 13.  It broke at the hinge and tore out a chuck of the hatch cover - I can't see any way to repair it because of the silly thing is molded.  I can't find any place that has one in stock and not even Ocean Kayak has them - which is odd because it's a part that should still be covered under their warranty.

Without that cover, I have a great big, gaping hole in the deck until I find a replacement, and the Trident isn't seaworthy without it.

If anyone knows where I might buy one, or has one to sell (fat chance on that), please let me know.

I had a modpod failure and sent an e-mail to Johnson/Ocean Kayak.  They wound up sending me the replacement pieces I needed for free.  Worth a try...

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Come on, I wanna see what broke!   :icon_scratch:

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I had a modpod failure and sent an e-mail to Johnson/Ocean Kayak.  They wound up sending me the replacement pieces I needed for free.  Worth a try...

-Mark-

Well, the email thing didn't get a response, but I just phoned and my new mod pod cover is on its way.  Don't know why they don't list it online, but they have them.  As always, thanks, Mark!  You saved me again.

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
I'm glad things worked out for you Tink!  I don't know much but I'm glad that what I do know helped.  ;D

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I'm glad things worked out for you Tink!  I don't know much but I'm glad that what I do know helped.  ;D

-Mark-

It's not how much you know - there are more than enough book-smart idiots running around (I'm one of them so no one try to get uppity about the name) - it's what you know and whether what you know is worth knowing.  You're a bright star in that universe, Mark.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Tinker,
I think OK is headed for the dust bin of companies that were. Old Towne seems to be the fair haired child of Johnson Outdoors now, and there doesn't seem to be much emphasis on maintaining the OK line of kayaks.

Glad you were able to get replacement parts after the phone call.

Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
I think OK is headed for the dust bin of companies that were. Old Towne seems to be the fair haired child of Johnson Outdoors now, and there doesn't seem to be much emphasis on maintaining the OK line of kayaks.

That's a bummer.  I know it's been retired for awhile but the Trident 13 was an all time great Yak.  Kind of a sad state of the industry.  Everyone is making wider, heavier, "kayaks".  While I know that's where the market is, light and fast should still have a place in kayak fishing.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Tinker,

From what I could gleam, and reading between the lines, I came to the same conclusion: Ocean Kayak will disappear completely in the not too distant future.  Bummer.

Remember not too long ago when Trident 13's and Tarpon 120's were sought after?  Back when I first joined NWKA, they were what everyone had or wanted.  Now the Tridents are gone, and have you seen the new Tarpon 120?  Useless hull.  They removed the hatch near the seat, made the bow hatch smaller, and replaced the rear tankwell bungees with a silly mesh net.  How do you install a through-hull puck if you can't reach the the spot where it should be installed?  Where do you put the battery?  Insanity!

For everyone who loves a pedal-powered kayak, they aren't a good complement to fly-fishing where you have lots of loose fly line to manage, and that's the only way I fish these days.  I'm not anti-pedal-power, except for me, and I lament the disappearance of once great paddle kayaks every chance I get.

Pedal-power is unholy profitable - those drive units simply can't cost anywhere near the premium they charge for them - and that's what the manufacturers are making.  They're allowed and I don't begrudge them that, but I wish Johnson Outdoors had held onto this one outstanding hull for folks who paddle.

That's a bummer.  I know it's been retired for awhile but the Trident 13 was an all time great Yak.  Kind of a sad state of the industry.  Everyone is making wider, heavier, "kayaks".  While I know that's where the market is, light and fast should still have a place in kayak fishing.

Light and fast, and a great fishing platform.

Gee, I really am chatty today.  Sorry, sorry, sorry.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • ADTA.org
Hey, conversation is good for people. Talk away.
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Hey, conversation is good for people. Talk away.

Yesterday I was browsing a blog site by our very own uplandsandpiper for the first time and found a tale he told about the sad disappearance of light, fast kayaks.  Written back in (I believe) March of this year, it was a parallel to my lament (or mine to his) - but better written.  I wish I'd read his work earlier.  I'd have plagiarized the heck out of it.

(https://www.spiltmilt.com/)

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • ADTA.org
Tinker,
You're right, he nailed it. That's probably the best chronicle of an industry downfall I've read in a while.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I don't reckon it's a fail for the industry.  I'm sure they're making money (and lots of it) with the bass kayaks.  It mostly affects those of us in the Pacific Northwest who're fishing altogether different waters and who'd like a different style of kayak, regardless of how it's powered.

I didn't hate my Revo 13 when I had it.  They have a narrow beam, are light weight (for a pedal-powered kayak) and they're not at all a bad boat - they just don't compliment how I fish. 

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
I don't reckon it's a fail for the industry.  I'm sure they're making money (and lots of it) with the bass kayaks...

Maybe it's confirmation bias, but I feel like I often read concerns about kayaks being 'tippy'. I got a spection that the barges of late have drastically increased the number of people who would consider buying a kayak.... which is a good thing, I guess. It's certainly a good thing for the Plastic BargeTM companies.

It mostly affects those of us in the Pacific Northwest who're fishing altogether different waters and who'd like a different style of kayak, regardless of how it's powered.

I can see a strong argument for longer, narrower, and lighter boats on all large bodies of water.

anything