Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 15, 2024, 10:54:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 03:27:21 PM]

[Today at 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[Today at 07:27:41 AM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

[March 29, 2024, 08:19:21 PM]

[March 29, 2024, 08:17:12 PM]

by Spot
[March 29, 2024, 03:34:50 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Kayak Fishing in Dominican Republic  (Read 2710 times)

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
This from my friend, Don Mettz, who is a missionary in DR. Quotes are mine;

"Whatever you do, absolutely do not cross the border into Haiti.  You won't get a mile before you run into trouble. You should know that things have gotten seriously worse since you were there in the 90's. Disappearances have more than doubled along the border, so its almost worse than when Pappa Doc was in power.

As always, check the State Department website for reputable businesses and safe places to stay. And for sure make copies of your passport and other documents. They'll come in handy while here."

There's more but he's basically warning me to be careful and avoid the scams etc. as well as adding the address and phone number of the US Counsulate to your phone.
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
Thank you for that. Some good tips!

We weren't planning on straying very far from our all inclusive resort I'm Punta Cana, so hopefully everything will be mellow.

A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

SD2OR

• Salmon
Well, wasn't the greatest vacation.
My wife had planned the thing, found a deal on Groupon, was a bday present to us both (Jan 12 for me, the 16th for my wife).
She meant well.
Only after booking everything,  did we bother to read the places reviews, which were horrid.

Place was pretty enough. It was the kind of resort tho that has the dance music bumping all day, and late into the night. All the food, both in the buffets and the supposedly nicer reservation restaurants, was pretty much identical to food found in cheap Chinese buffets. Hardly any local fare except attains n tropical fruit. After one meal, my wife became violently ill, and bed ridden for over a day.

Everyday, sales people would accosted us relentlessly, pitching spa packages, activities and what not. They all but waited outside our room, ready to pounce, it got really annoying,  and no amount of "No thank you's" could get them to stop.

There were no kayaks to be used, and fishing on the beach was strictly forbidden.  I was told the only way I could fish, was to sign up for a $600 charter that I could not afford. I snuck down to the beach one night, and waded out up to my armpits, casting top water,  spoons, swimbaits, and even sosked some Gulp products. Not a bite, tho I did see what had to be tarpon crash on bait, a time or two. So no fish for me, and after many years, tarpon are still on my hope to catch before I die list.

If you're going to the DR, do not stay at Lifestyle (not a swinger type place like it sounds) resorts.
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Thanks for the review.  Sorry for your experience.

I'm starting to scout a self guided fishing trip to Costa Rica or Belize.  Possibilities look good and what I think you were after on this trip.

SD2OR

• Salmon
Sadly, I didn't get to fish much when I was in Costa Rica, about a decade ago either. It was before I started kayak fishing. I did catch some look down jacks and puffers from shore tho, so I wasn't skunked at least. Wishing you good luck on your trip, can't wait to see the pics!
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022

JohnMckroid

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Sorry to hear it did not work out better.

I'm starting to scout a self-guided fishing trip to Costa Rica or Belize.  Possibilities look good and what I think you were after on this trip.

If fishing CR on the Atlantic side, be wary of Limon.   It can be rough -- the one place in CR where someone attempted to rob me.  The roadside barbequed chicken was my downfall.  I had taken the bus from the capital to Limon and was planning to travel by boat Nth to Tortuguero to fish Snook and Tarpon.  Unfortunately, I got amebic dysentery -- That was the end of my saltwater fishing adventure.  I return to San Jose for medical treatment, other fishing, and TLC via a long-haired dictionary.  That was many decades ago, but the attempted robbery was in 2011 while visiting the port by ship.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Bummer about the trip, SD2OR! I was rooting for you to have a great time. Hopefully brighter days ahead.

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Dang, sorry your trip didn't go the way you were hoping!

If you're looking for tarpon, have you considered Florida? Check out EliasVFishing on YouTube. He catches some cool-ass fish in the Gulf, including some real nice tarpon in the Florida Keys, from his kayak.
aMayesing Bros.

SD2OR

• Salmon
Thanks guys! To make things even worse, I just found out I was infected with covid on one of the flights. No fishing for me for a while....

have been to Florida a couple times, but frustratingly, wasn't able to fish much. Was in Key West for a goodly amount of time, but for an island, there were remarkably few spots to shore fish.
I did manage some small barracuda and needlefish from shore, and some small snapper n grouper from a party boat. Honestly with the tackle I brought that particular trip, I wouldn't have been able to land a very large tarpon anyway.

One of these days, I'll go specifically to fish. Such a fishing mecca. Tarpon n snook, peacock bass, all sorts of feral aquarium fish. Black sea bass...

but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022

anything