Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 06:28:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by [WR]
[Today at 05:38:38 PM]

by [WR]
[Today at 05:33:39 PM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

by jed
[May 14, 2024, 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Costa Rica  (Read 3540 times)

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
So I've exchanged quite a few emails with this outfit ... http://www.costaricawildfishing.com/

They have Cobra Explorers, somewhat bare, but very workable ... $65/day.  Ralph, the owner, can arrange panga support for $150/day.  He can also arrange hotels ($45-120 per day depending on class), meals ($50 per day), trasportation ... probably anything we need.  We could use his services, or do it ourselves, or mix and match.  He is located in Cartegena, which is near the town of Tamarindo on the NW Pacific coast.   I am very familiar with this area as I've fished out of Tamarindo on 4 different occasions.  If you want to ditch the kayaks for a day and try your hand at big game fishing for marlin and sailfish, we can charter a boat with this outfit ... http://www.tamarindosportfishing.com/.  That marlin on the front page was caught on one of my trips.  450#.

Costa Rica Wild Fishing is a new outfit and they seem to be learning as they go, although learning fast.  Seems like they mostly do inshore fishing for roosters, jacks, barracudas, and some tunas.

So ... who wants to go to Costa Rica?

-Allen
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 04:10:58 PM by polepole »

floatin cowboys

• Lingcod
  • UHMMMM Pizza!!!
Thats sounds like fun, out of my league I think. How about a trip to Catalina island in the off season. Everyone going could pitch in to rent a house for a couple days and do some calico fishing and wsb too.
We may live without poetry, music, and art
We may live without conscience and live without heart
We may live without friends, we may live without books;
But civilized man cannot live without cooks

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
Hmmm, if we could loan out our kids for a few days, I could probably talk Kristi into someplace warm. It would be easier if one of us  had a job with benes, first.  :(

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2006
FANTASTIC!!!,
Im in POLE, just let me tie up some loose ends here. (divorce my wife, get rid of my dogs, sell the house and Mini quit my part time job and inspection business etc...). What kinda time frame are we looking at?
 Thats a dream of a lifetime for someone like me, however, it ain't gonna happen cuz I love what I got and can't give 'em up.
 But you better post some cool pics upon return!! I must live vicariously. 
the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Other than the cost of flights to Costa Rica and within CR, the daily expenses for lodging and kayaks is very reasonable.  You can probably get flights for $6-700 dollars in the shoulder or green seasons (May-Aug).  Another $120 to fly locally within the country or rent a car and split costs.  $65/day for a kayak.  I know some area hotels you can get for $60-70 double occupancy.  In Tamarindo you can check out the Hotel Pasatiempo (http://www.hotelpasatiempo.com/).  I've stayed there many times.  You can do much cheaper on food.

Summary of a 1 week trip ... because who wants to fly all that way for less than a week.

International Flight: $700
Domestic Flight: $120
Hotels for 6 nights: $35 x 6 = $210 (assumes double occupancy and you're splitting with someone).
Kayak fishing: $65 x 3 = $195 (3 days of fishing, 2 days of lying on the beach, 2 days of travel)
Food: $20 * 7 = $140  (Beer is extra!)

Note that the costs of room/board/kayak is less than a 3-4 day East Cape Trip.  It's the flights that get you!

The other place in Costa Rica I was checking out was this resort ... http://www.crocodilebay.com/.  But it is WAY more expensive.  It's more of an all inclusive resort that caters to big game fishermen.  They didn't know much about kayak fishing but they did have a fleet of Prowlers.  A 7 day package ran about $1800 ea, assuming double occupancy.  And that doesn't include flight.  I didn't think there would be many people that would go for this option.

I'm still checking around for other options.

-Allen

Danglin

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
love coasta rica, spent 5 weeks there on my honeymoon, Tamarindo was cool, stayed @ Captain Suezo, Panga picked my wife and I up on the beach, and then out to get a nice striped marlin and a 100lb amber jack. Picked up a lot of 5 to 10 lb. tuna on light tackle too. What time frame are you looking at? Most likly not going to be able to make it this year, but stranger things have happened...........Danglin

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Hah!  Last time I was there with the girlfriend, we stayed at Captain Suizo.   Nice place huh?  We spent the another few nights a bit further south at Punta Islita.  Not really set on booking a trip yet.  Just checking into options.  Of course if a few people expressed interest, I could be interested.  I got quite a few frequent flyer miles right now ... 300K or so!

-Allen

Danglin

• Herring
I also stayed @ a great sleepy place called Samara, It has an incredible road all the way from the Tempenski ferry to Sammara. The presidente lives there. Only regret I was'nt able to drive the dirt shore side road that leads all the way to Tamarindo, it was flooded @ the time. I would like to check out that whole coast line from Tamaindo to the Nicoya peninsula...Someday...Danglin ;D

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Punta Islita is just south of Samara/Carillo.  However, the river crossing was flooded out, so it turned from a 30 minute drive to a 5 hour detour up into the mountains and back down again.  Samara is what Tamarindo was like 7 years ago when I first went.  These days the road is paved all the way into Tamarindo.  Still, in the summer time, Tamarindo is mostly a surfers town.

-Allen

Danglin

• Herring
This punta Islia, Whats that like.  Wow, on the flooded thing. That was my fear, no one could tell me if the road was open, and being I had just been turned around @ Manuel Antonoi because the road was washed out I played it safe. But the road to Samara was the best I found in the whole country!!! We left Tamarindo, drove strait to Lake Arenal and fell in love. Just seeing that Active volcano and the pure beauty it beholds must put 10 yrs on your life.Not to mention the hot spring spa @ the bottom of the volcano. We stayed there a week. Funny thing there. we stayed at a place with bueatiful cabanas, free horseback riding, row boats!!!
I wanted a Gopote bass, tried everything. I would ask the locals what to use, always the same:  " Bananas "  O.K. stupid grengo, look like I just got off the banana boat. Well my wife went with me now realizing her honeymoon was infact a fishing safari and asked me why don't I try Bananas?  Scuffly and exasperated I hooked up a drop line with a Banana... Yup..Did not take 5 secounds and she was into these things called " Muchachas " Basically Trout with mouths like piranas, from 2 to 5 lbs. Never got a Gopote, but So much for the banana in the boat theory!

Not to say, had a whole different view of my new wife. :o............Danglin

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Punta Islita ... http://www.hotelpuntaislita.com/

Basically a romantic luxury resort in the middle of nowhere.  Very nice place.  It was the "her choice" portion of that vacation.  We also hit Arenal and stayed at the observatory.  We were in a room that had a direct view of the volcano.

-Allen

Danglin

• Herring
Very Kool,  We keep this kind of talk up and every one on this site is going to break the bank to get down there!!!! The 1st night @ Arenal, we stayed @ the Arenal Lodge. Cound'nt sleep well with the Volcano shacking the ground and the sound of rocks the size of cars crashing down the side of the Volcano.. :o..Unreal.....Happy thanksgiving.... 8)

I'm going to be up there with my family ( Washington ) visiting family just before x-mas....Probably a full schedual, but If I go out with my brother fishing, you might want to meet him, He's alittle scarry, but he really is  nice guy,
 and he knows the spots and just got a Jet Sled yesterday...........Danglin