Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:50:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Kayakers rescued from Columbia River near Sand Island  (Read 6126 times)

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Pretty good example (especially since all were OK) how assuming a few things gets out of hand and comments are made completely out of context.  Jasper makes some excellent points that all things considered, it turned out as good as it could be, and winter may or may not have had anything to do with the sequel of events.  Pretty easy to take armchair shots looking in the rear view mirror, but again, all things considered as I understand it, a very respectful outcome that might have occurred in the middle of a warm spring day. 

A fair number of motorcycle fatalities occur on a warm sunny weekend about 2 PM after a long absence from riding, a quick stop at a tavern and the realization that a "two-up" bike doesn't handle corners nearly as well as you thought especially on left over winter sand .

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
one paddler was taken to the hospital for treatment,   this is not "mild hypothermia".
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

jasperg

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013
one paddler was taken to the hospital for treatment,   this is not "mild hypothermia".
This was the paddler that suffered an unrelated medical issue.

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
This was the paddler that suffered an unrelated medical issue.

All the news reports said they were taken due to hypothermia, you may and likely are correct in what you're saying, but it's not like they read it wrong.

http://www.kptv.com/story/37587232/kayakers-rescued-from-columbia-river-near-rooster-rock-state-park
One was taken to a hospital to be treated for hypothermia.

http://katu.com/news/local/kayakers-in-need-of-rescue-in-columbia-river-corbett-fire-says
Officials said one of the kayakers was taken to the hospital for hypothermia treatment.

http://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/four-kayakers-rescued-on-columbia-river/283-523230524
Corbett Fire Chief Dave Flood said three of the four have hypothermia. The Multnomah County Sheriff's Office said one was taken to an area hospital for treatment.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
a direct quote from the KOIN6 report at this link:  http://www.koin.com/news/local/multnomah-county/crews-rescue-2-from-columbia-river-searching-for-others/991476794

"CORBETT, Ore. (KOIN) -- Four kayakers were rescued from the Columbia River near the area of Sand Island on Sunday afternoon after officials said they called for emergency assistance while inside the water.

Three of the 4 kayakers were being treated for hypothermia, one of whom was "very hypothermic," according to Dave Flood with the Corbett Fire Department. "
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
And one of the early news reports quoted the sheriff as saying all kayakers should wear wetsuits for their own safety - making it sound like they could just as well have been paddling in the nude, and that's why I posted that they were at least wearing dry suits.

http://www.koin.com/news/local/multnomah-county/crews-rescue-2-from-columbia-river-searching-for-others/991476794  "Flood recommended that those who go kayaking on the Columbia River wear wet suits to protect themselves from the 40-degree water. He said without it, instant hypothermia could set in."

The information published by the TV news sources seems to be all over the place at this point in time with conflicting statements by officials, and confusion about what really happened is natural

I hope the individual who suffered the medical emergency that started the cascade of events is doing good and is on their way to a full recovery.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 02:47:46 PM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

jasperg

• Herring
I hope the individual who suffered the medical emergency that started the cascade of events is doing good and is on their way to a full recovery.

From what I hear, she was released the same day and is said to be doing "fine".

jasperg

• Herring
a direct quote from the KOIN6 report at this link:  http://www.koin.com/news/local/multnomah-county/crews-rescue-2-from-columbia-river-searching-for-others/991476794

"CORBETT, Ore. (KOIN) -- Four kayakers were rescued from the Columbia River near the area of Sand Island on Sunday afternoon after officials said they called for emergency assistance while inside the water.

Three of the 4 kayakers were being treated for hypothermia, one of whom was "very hypothermic," according to Dave Flood with the Corbett Fire Department. "

I am just relaying what I heard from the people involved. I don't think the paddlers statement and Dave Flood's are necessarily in contradiction.

I have no knowledge of the victims medical condition, nor do I know what Dave Flood means by "very hypothermic" There are several stages of hypothermia and "very" is not one of them. All I know is what I have been told, which is that other then the initial victim nobody was hospitalized. "treated for hypothermia" can be as little as handing someone a blanket because they are shivering.

This is pretty much all the info I have anything more would be pure conjecture, which seems less then useful. When the people involved come out with a more detailed statement I will let y'all know.

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009

I am just relaying what I heard from the people involved. I don't think the paddlers statement and Dave Flood's are necessarily in contradiction.

I have no knowledge of the victims medical condition, nor do I know what Dave Flood means by "very hypothermic" There are several stages of hypothermia and "very" is not one of them. All I know is what I have been told, which is that other then the initial victim nobody was hospitalized. "treated for hypothermia" can be as little as handing someone a blanket because they are shivering.

This is pretty much all the info I have anything more would be pure conjecture, which seems less then useful. When the people involved come out with a more detailed statement I will let y'all know.

Please do, we really would like to know.  These events can serve as great learning experiences.

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
Mild hypothermia - shivering & mental confusion.
Moderate hypothermia - shivering stops and confusion increases.
Severe hypothermia - possible paradoxical disrobing & increased risk of heart failure.

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Very informative, PNB (all in humor as everyone seems OK).  It turns out I must have had Severe Hypothermia many times in my youth, and I always thought it was the liquor! :pottytrain3:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 08:57:23 AM by Trident 13 »

jasperg

• Herring
Please do, we really would like to know.  These events can serve as great learning experiences.

Looks like the promised "detailed report" never materialized. If anyone want's more information on this incident, I suggest talking to the local outfitter that organized this trip.
For general information about cold water safety, a friend of mine put together a valuable website at:   http://www.coldwatersafety.org

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
Very informative, PNB (all in humor as everyone seems OK).  It turns out I must have had Severe Hypothermia many times in my youth, and I always thought it was the liquor! :pottytrain3:
:laugh: