Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:47:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Oregon rockfish classic.was there a rescue today out of depose bay.  (Read 8420 times)

• scupper pro.low budget/tech style.coast local
  • Date Registered: Dec 2017
Just heard two kayakers were rescued.whats the scoop?is everyone alright?

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
We might not hear about this for at least a day... tho, I suspect if it was two of us, word would have spread thru the Facebook telegraph by now.
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
https://www.newslincolncounty.com/archives/229250

Quoted from the link above.

"9:35am
A male kayaker off NE Williams in Depoe Bay is in the water and he can’t get back aboard his kayaka. He’s about 200 yards from shore. The Coast Guard has been alerted. Depoe Bay Fire-Rescue is being called to the scene as well.

9:39am
Rescuers are pulling up on scene.

9:41am
Rescuers observing the kayaker says he’s lost his paddle but he’s back in his kayak that will keep him afloat pending the arrival of the Coast Guard. They should be on scene pretty quickly.

9:50am
Coast Guard has the kayaker in tow. They’re towing the kayaker back in to Depoe Bay Harbor. He appears to be fine."

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Oops. No paddle leash?
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Those velcoro leashes don't always hold (DAMIK).

SurfingDude

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
it was sea kayakers from what I heard around camp ,,it was not anyone with ORC....

sherminator

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
He was in a SINK and handlining on the north reef. I passed by him a couple of times within 15 minutes of the Coasties coming out. I thought I saw him paddling in on his own. I know the 47 didn't tow him, and I was close enough that I heard the Coasties hollering to him to ask him if he was OK, but I didn't hear the response.

Because he was handlining, and letting his paddle float, I wonder if somebody on shore thought he was in trouble and called it in. I wasn't monitoring CH16 all the time (I was on CH80 because I was inside the reef), so I didn't hear any distress call, but I didn't hear anybody else mention hearing a distress call either.
15x tournament loser
2011 Hobie Oasis (yellow)
2014 Hobie Revo  (red)
2017 Aquaglide Blackfoot HB Angler XL

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
I got rescued on Sunday just west of the reef south of GP. My 1st huli outside the surf zone. I was reaching behind me & got broadsided by a small cross-current combo wave while slightly off balance. Next thing I know, I'm in the water. I flipped the Outback right-side up & gathered my tethered gear & started to slide back on when I noticed the Vantage CT Seat was gone.

Right about that time a PB pulled up & offered help, which I gratefully accepted. They pulled my sorry ass aboard & towed my yak back to port for the walk of shame. I owe those folks a big thank you.

The seat was the only thing I lost (aside from some bait & a little dignity). I had intended to upgrade the way that seat is secured, but hadn't got to it yet. I'd highly recommend anyone with one of those seats to add a 4 point tethering system so the seat won't come loose in a capsize. Anyone have a used Hobie Vantage CT seat for sale?

onefish

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
Glad you only lost your seat and someone was there to help out.  I flipped once in the open ocean about 6 years and it was not fun.  Now, in big water, open ocean and buoy 10, I run the Hobie amas.  You look like a total Barney, but you will not flip.  I fish the ocean often and a lot of the times miles from any help - think late afternoon coho run with no dory boats on the water.

I’d like to think you look like a kook on a recumbent bike in a Hobie anyways so why not complete the look!  JK.
“Out of the water I am nothing” Duke Kahanamoku

PNW

• Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
Glad you only lost your seat and someone was there to help out.  I flipped once in the open ocean about 6 years and it was not fun.  Now, in big water, open ocean and buoy 10, I run the Hobie amas.  You look like a total Barney, but you will not flip.  I fish the ocean often and a lot of the times miles from any help - think late afternoon coho run with no dory boats on the water.

I’d like to think you look like a kook on a recumbent bike in a Hobie anyways so why not complete the look!  JK.
You can say that again -
not fun.

I'll probably add the sidekick once I get a new seat. Seems like Hobie would have a more secure attachment system for a $500 seat.

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
I feel your pain Paul.  I lost my seat while practicing self rescue at Hagg Lake.  I was lucky enough to find a used one on eBay for about $300.  I since upgraded the retention system and it now has a pad eye attached to the hull and some shock cord with a carabinier tied to the seat.  The little red clip goes on the button then the carabinier goes through that red clip and the pad eye.  That seat isn't going anywhere now.  ;)
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

PNW

• Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
I feel your pain Paul.  I lost my seat while practicing self rescue at Hagg Lake.  I was lucky enough to find a used one on eBay for about $300.  I since upgraded the retention system and it now has a pad eye attached to the hull and some shock cord with a carabinier tied to the seat.  The little red clip goes on the button then the carabinier goes through that red clip and the pad eye.  That seat isn't going anywhere now.  ;)
My seat also had the button & carabiner setup, but the carabiner wasn't made to bare weight & didn't hold. I'd intended to change it, but hadn't got to it yet. The other things that didn't hold were the YakAttack safety flag & Stealth rod holder. The safety flag snapped off just above the foam handle & the hollow threaded tube that attached the rod holder to the rail also snapped. The rod stayed in the holder. I'm not sure why the rod holder was constructed with a hollow tube instead of a solid stainless bolt. Definitely a weak link. Glad I had both rods tethered.
Are you saying that you had the seat clipped in with the stock Hobie leash and it didn’t hold?
  yep, didn't hold. The carabiner didn't hold either.
How high up did you have the seat?
In the lower kicker position, which raised my center of gravity slightly.

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
My seat also had the button & carabiner setup, but the carabiner wasn't made to bare weight & didn't hold. I'd intended to change it, but hadn't got to it yet. The other things that didn't hold were the YakAttack safety flag & Stealth rod holder. The safety flag snapped off just above the foam handle & the hollow threaded tube that attached the rod holder to the rail also snapped. The rod stayed in the holder. I'm not sure why the rod holder was constructed with a hollow tube instead of a solid stainless bolt. Definitely a weak link. Glad I had both rods tethered.
Are you saying that you had the seat clipped in with the stock Hobie leash and it didn’t hold?
  yep, didn't hold. The carabiner didn't hold either.
How high up did you have the seat?
In the lower kicker position, which raised my center of gravity slightly.

Paul, my yak attack flag pole also broke. I bought a Coleman fiberglass tent pole which is much better.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046VJV9A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Many commercially available kayak safety flags have a small flag which is barely above head hight, and which doesn't do much to improve the visibility of a kayak.  I posted a description at https://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=15155.msg164358#msg164358 of a 7 foot high safety flag pole with a 24" x 17" orange flag which I made from a $22.00 heavy fishing pole which I bought at Walmart.  This flag is a lot more visible than most commercially available flag systems, because of its height and size.  However, you don't need to make a safety flag pole.  Just get or make a big bright safety flag, and clip it to the line guides at the tip of a spare fishing rod which is sitting in one of the molded rod holders of your kayak.  So PNW and Craig, rather than repairing or replacing your commercial safety flag, just clip a large bright flag to a spare fishing pole. It'll be a fraction of the cost of a commercially available kayak safety flag system, and will be way more visible than any commercially available system which I've seen. 

I made my safety flag out of orange ripstop nylon which I bought at a fabric store, and a piece of light shock cord which clips to the line guards of my safety pole to hold it tight.  I cut the nylon with a hot knife tip on a soldering gun so the edges of the fabric wouldn't fray.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 10:10:47 AM by pmmpete »

PNW

• Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
I had an old fiberglass tent pole on hand, so I went with Craig's suggestion, got a couple bucks worth of shock line & rigged a new flag. I agree with Pete - the flag is a little small for good visibility, but I like the light (even though it isn't very bright). Thanks for the suggestions guys. Next I'm calling Hobie & expressing my safety concerns with the pinche way they attach those CT Vantage Seats to the kayak. If that PB hadn't assisted me, I would have been in trouble peddling back to port from Gov't Point.

The boat that helped me was the Rosebud out of Depoe Bay (Randy & Cathy Davis) with Tyler & Janae Newman on board (both Coast Guard veterans) I'm very grateful to them all for their help.

New flag

I like the way it folds up for portability.