Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:03:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:01:18 AM]

by Doug
[Today at 06:48:19 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

by PNW
[April 17, 2024, 03:57:54 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Essential outerwear for kayak fishing  (Read 60356 times)

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
There's been a few threads about what you need to wear to go kayak fishing and have posted links to them below. Please read through the threads if you're new to kayak fishing, or even if you have already started, as they are essential.

There was a fatality this year at Seaside, Oregon due to improper outerwear. So let's get informed and make it the last.

Feel free to reply and add your POV in kayak fishing outerwear.
Thanks.

Z

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,2644.0.html

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,2555.0.html

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,3175.0.html
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 09:48:11 PM by Zee »
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

O2

Thanks for posting the links, I was reading the third while you posted it.

I don't plan on doing any ocean fishing soon, I'm going to get my experience on a few lakes and streams first. The info you guys discussed was very informative and now I have more of an idea of what to wear.

I thought about hiding my credit card for a bit so it can cool down from all my kayak purchases but now it looks like it's going to warm up again. At least I'll be around to make the payments.

Thanks again for being a great and informative site.

BothellKayakguy

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Yes, thanks for posting the links. I've figured out by now not to go out into the Sound in shorts & a tee shirt but still need some guidance. Here is what I currenlty have:

PFD
Neoprene chest waders with built in boots & safety belt. This seems like it would be clunky and hot; therefore unsafe
Various triathlon wetsuits
Neopreen booties and gloves
Full set of rain gear (for cycling)

It seems like I shold be able to make something from this ensemble work for immersion safety?

Thoughts? I just want to go fishing in the sound and come back alive:)

ConeHeadMuddler

• non-competitor
  • Sturgeon
  • Smells like low tide
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Just saw this. I'd wear whatever triathlon wetsuit seemed most appropriate, your wetsuit booties, and definitely would have the rain gear along to fight wind-chill. I wear a raincoat over my wetsuit for that purpose, when the chill factor starts cutting in.

Personally I would never wear boot-foot neoprene waders out in the Sound or Ocean when in a yak. Maybe if I was cruising shallow and just off the beach, and wanted to step out and fly cast.   Although they may be the best and warmest for mid-winter wading frozen rivers for steelhead fishing, I wouldn't want to ever take a swim in them.
In a yak, if you capsized and enough water got into your waders, it would be harder to climb back on board, and then you'd have to get the extra water out by going ashore or standing on your head or something. I don't even like wearing my breath able waders with surf booties out there. I only wear waders on my yak when I'm heading up a tidal creek, slow river, or somewhere else skinny and shallow, where I might have to get out and wade. In the summer, I can usually wet wade in the creeks and estuaries.
Wetsuit or a drysuit seems safer for the salt.
ConeHeadMuddler

ConeHeadMuddler

• non-competitor
  • Sturgeon
  • Smells like low tide
Always wear protection from the sun's rays. I just had some skin cancer surgically removed from the side of my face yesterday, and got some other spots norched away with the liquid nitrogen. Back in my late teens and 20's, I lived on Oahu, and the sunscreens we had back then were not as effective as we were led to believe. They just gave us a false sense of security so that we fried our hides for longer periods every day.

I like the Nutrogena "Ultra Sheer dry touch" with "Helioplex" waterproof SPF 100 for being on the water. I've got the same in the SPF 45, too. I always apply it to any skin being exposed to the sun. I always get the backs of my hands and fingers, too, even when I'm going surfing or paddling.
The tops of my feet used to get fried back in the day, too. Now I only wear sandals or flip-flops outside as "transitional" footwear when changing into or out of my wetsuit. I put my socks and shoes on asap.

My doctor reminded me to always apply sunscreen on any exposed skin when heading outside in addition to wearing  protective clothing. Long sleeves, wide-brimmed hat, long pants, etc, and treated to have a UPF rating of 30 or more. She warned me not to fudge, but to be religious about it!
You can buy pre-treated clothing, or buy a product to treat your current outdoor clothing. I'm going to have to do this, whether I like it or not.
Or maybe just go night fishing.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 11:21:19 AM by ConeHeadMuddler »
ConeHeadMuddler

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Just saw this. I'd wear whatever triathlon wetsuit seemed most appropriate, your wetsuit booties, and definitely would have the rain gear along to fight wind-chill. I wear a raincoat over my wetsuit for that purpose, when the chill factor starts cutting in.

Personally I would never wear boot-foot neoprene waders out in the Sound or Ocean when in a yak. Maybe if I was cruising shallow and just off the beach, and wanted to step out and fly cast.   Although they may be the best and warmest for mid-winter wading frozen rivers for steelhead fishing, I wouldn't want to ever take a swim in them.
In a yak, if you capsized and enough water got into your waders, it would be harder to climb back on board, and then you'd have to get the extra water out by going ashore or standing on your head or something. I don't even like wearing my breath able waders with surf booties out there. I only wear waders on my yak when I'm heading up a tidal creek, slow river, or somewhere else skinny and shallow, where I might have to get out and wade. In the summer, I can usually wet wade in the creeks and estuaries.

With a proper wading belt, worn correctly, and a PFD over that, I don't think there's much risk of filling your waders.  I've used breathables and a paddle top in deep water areas for years.  In the ocean, I step up to a full wetsuit or drysuit. 
Great advice on wearing something to cut the wind over a wetsuit!

-Spot-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

ConeHeadMuddler

• non-competitor
  • Sturgeon
  • Smells like low tide
Wading belt with your waders is an absolute must! I always wear one, even when just wading. However, when I'm wearing my waders paddling, I usually have the belt a bit loose, just enough for comfort. Perhaps  this might be TOO loose if I capsize and can't grab the end of the belt to cinch it tight before water gets in. I usually have my pfd and maybe a splash jacket over the wading belt, making it less accessible. I suppose that if I inhaled mightily and held my breath, the belt would remain tight enough to keep any water out, but eventually I'd have to exhale (even though I like to quip, "I never exhaled!"). ;)

OK, now I think I have it: Inhale mightily when capsizing, then hold breath until I can tighten wading belt. Breathe. Right yak. Climb back on board. Loosen belt. Inventory lost gear. Get spare gear stowed beneath deck, especially the spare dry thermal top stowed in my drybag. Change tops.  Resume fishing.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 11:45:03 AM by ConeHeadMuddler »
ConeHeadMuddler

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I am not a fan of belt and chest wader set up only because it just about ended my kayaking career before it even got started.  I watched many videos on how it was a good set up.  But inexperience kicked me in the back end BIG time.  I flipped my mini-x and when I hit the water, I was expecting it to just be fridged.  But to my surprise it wasn't that bad.  So I took my time gathering up stuff (Should have done that from on top of my kayak) when i went to reflip my kayak, i couldn't!  What?  It turns out the reason i flipped was in my hurry to brace against an unexpected wake, I jammed my paddle into my handle and pushed down at the exact moment I needed to brace.  Now with more experience, I'm amazed that it happened that way.  But the paddle acted as a huge dagger board and I could not for the life of me while in the water figure out why I couldn't flip the kayak over.  I even cut my tether to my fish finder thinking maybe that had hung up on the bottom and was holding the kayak (bye bye FF).

But no worries, my pfd kept me afloat and I started to swim to shore with kayak in tow.  A landing craft came by and offered assistance when I was less than 20 yards from shore.  Embarrassed, I waved them off saying I could make it and I was fine.  They dropped their front and said "C'mon, we are already right here and headed in."  I took them up on the offer.  When I got out, due to the time I spent in the water, though my belt was on fairly tight, water had seeped in through my fleece and such.  I didn't realize it at the time since water is of course neutrally buoyant when you are in the water.  But once on deck, I couldn't move!  My jacket and clothes were SO heavy I could barely even get the jacket and fleece off of me.  The guys thought I had cramped up and two big guys came to pick me up and they just about ripped their arms out of their socket.  I weighed a TON! I don't know at what point I got too heavy but given my weight, had I been able to flip my kayak over, I don;t think I could have pulled myself up.  Even worse, had I made it the last few feet to shore and on to the rocks, I would have had to strip down practically naked (in front of a dozen onlookers) and climbed the rocks with my kayak.

In this case, it wasn't the cold water that about did me in, it was the weight of the water.  I went out immediately and bought my semi dry suit, but I still didn't fish the rest of the year (happened in August two years back, I think).  Now I of course wear a semi drysuit and PFD at ALL Times (it can get hot in the sun even in Alaska) and have stirrups tied off to both handles JUST in case I need them to scamper on board. 

As embarrassing as it is, I thought I'd share my near miss.  DON'T BE THAT GUY (me)!
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Sinker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: May 2011
I have to admit - I am new to immersion wear. 

My brief but wet experience with it has led me to conclude even with a decent dry top on, the protection I get from my $99 gor-tex Field and stream waders is at best marginal. 

I have gone into cold water several times, and each time the seal around my waist has failed and let water in.  Not a lot, but enough to make me think twice.

I think 2 things are happening. 

1 - the air escaping the airtight gear finds an easy exit around the drytop waist to wader seal, upsetting the drytop gasket seal.

2 - the loose waders have to wrinkle up under the waist gasket because they are being held tight against your waist.  These wrinkles are all areas where there is no gasket seal, and water can continue to get in. 

Granted,  both times the water was not getting in fast,  but I can imagine a situation where that seal would fail more severely in rough seas, or while moving around trying to self rescue. 

For now I am comfortable with the combo close to shore, but if I start extending my range or going out alone I will need to do something else.

I think that once I can afford a drysuit I will get one.  After the clinic yesterday I am considering going the wetsuit route though.

I really want to test all the different options, just so I know what is going to happen. 
I would much rather be up a creek without a paddle than down one.

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007

I really want to test all the different options, just so I know what is going to happen.

You'll find wetsuits for rent at most surf shops and drysuits for rent at most kayak shops. 
Definitely try before you buy.

-Spot-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

• WS Commander 120, OK Trident 13, Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011

You'll find wetsuits for rent at most surf shops and drysuits for rent at most kayak shops. 
Definitely try before you buy.

-Spot-

I'll second that!

Hey Sinker- Check out Kayakacademy.com for rentals as well as sales. They have the good stuff and they are in Issaquah Washington. They will mail them. The rental fees for dry suits are $35.00 per suit for the first day and $25.00 per suit for each additional day, and do special rates for extended rentals. AND, you get to apply your rental fees toward a purchase once you choose.

I got a smokin good deal on a used Kokatat Kayak Academy Silver Label so check out their used listings too.

Erik
Better to keep ones mouth shut and presumed a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
<Proverbs>

BothellKayakguy

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011

Just got back to this post and I'd like to report that I was out on the Sound on January 1st and felt quite comfortable with my triathlon wet suit. It was a mild day but I'm sure I would have been fine if it were colder and wetter. Here is what I wore:
silk underarmor under my wetsuit. Wool socks under my booties. Gloves but I didn't need them. Rain gear over the wetsuit and my PFD. I have tested that I can get myself back into the kayak with this combo. If not I carry a Marine Radio. I practiced the turtle several times on Lake WA last summer. The only question is how long would I stay warm. I don't go too very far from where I launch so I'm assuming I would be pleanty warm until I got back to shore and dried off. One thing I did learn is that my kayak fills with a lot of water and the sponge I cary won't cut it. I now carry a bilge pump too, but I can paddle while full of water - its just a lot slower:)

I don't think I would be comfortable with the waders even if I properly utilized my safety belt. The boots are just too large and clunky. I'd be afraid that they would hang up inside the yak and it would make my escape difficult. I'll save them for steelhead fishing and wading in the surf.

Thanks for all the responses. Someday, I'll invest in a dry suit but until then I'll just have to make do with what I have.

ConeHeadMuddler

• non-competitor
  • Sturgeon
  • Smells like low tide
I just ordered a 3mm NRS Ultra John famer john wetsuit. With optional layering, I'm feeling good about this suit. In another post, I mentioned that I also have a Hydroskin longsleeve top and a Stohlquist Torrent splash jacket.
For when it gets warmer, I bought an NRS 0.5mm Hydroskin farmer john.

Both of these suits are made from terraprene, which is a limestone based material, instead of neoprene, which is made from petroleum, like my surfing wetsuits.

My two surfing wetsuits (5/4 neck entry, 4/3 back-zip) are only OK for paddling a yak. Not only are they more restrictive and less comfortable, they are rather expensive and paddling yak gives them more of a beating. The vertical back zipper on the 4/3 is uncomfortable to lean against and restrictive when bending forward. The 5/4 was expensive, so I just want to use it for surfing so it will last longer.
ConeHeadMuddler

Jpcrowley80

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I just ordered a stohlquist bPod drysuit.  Does anyone have suggestions for boots to with it?

micahgee

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
I just ordered a stohlquist bPod drysuit.  Does anyone have suggestions for boots to with it?

I have a bPod and use neoprene booties. They both protect your feet and the fabric of the socks.
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

www.heroesonthewater.org