Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:45:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by PNW
[Today at 08:37:24 PM]

[Today at 07:54:10 PM]

[Today at 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 07:22:33 PM]

[Today at 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: The self rescue!  (Read 42689 times)

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011

You are right. Judging by what I have seen on here, most people's caskets would be made of PVC from Home Depot, lined with pool noodle foam from the dollar store.   ;D

Hey!!!! That was going to be my new business idea!  But my policy would be I wouldn't sell that kinda coffin for accidents. Only if you died of old age and as an avid kayak fisherman.  The idea is cool enuf i dont want to encourage risky behavior!

So hush!

But seriously, the other poster saying wear chains if that's how you fish holds true. I would have taken my jacket and sweater off at the end of the day if I wanted to practice. But THATS exactly what would have weighed me down

Glad to hear hear Allen say stirrups because I have two of them. I also have a buoy set up for harpooning big halibut that allows for attaching to the end of the paddle.  My downfall is I haven't tried any. But I have multiple options to try: normal self entry, two stirrups wrapped around both handles, and a paddle float set up.  But I agree, no substitute for practice. How hard could it be with practice?  Divers use sot kayaks. Would REALLY suck for them if they couldn't get back on!

I need to practice but DAMN it's COLD even in the summer here.  Next spring I PLEDGE to practice more.  Besides I want to try some surfing AFTER a successful day of fishing.
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Ya know if someone wanted to put on a cold salt water self rescue clinic, practice day with no boat traffic or much of an audience around I'd suggest Whalen Island just past Sand Lake on your way south to Cape Kiwanda.  The water is ocean cold salt, and there is a nice 28 foot deep hole to play in. More than enough for many kayaks to play at the same time. It gets ankle shallow on 3 of the 4 sides pretty quick so if a person is having issues, they can float to any side and try again.  The launch is merely feet from the deep hole, so it's really easy to get on the water.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Alkasazi

• Lingcod
  • Alkasazi
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
yep, a paddle float can be used to help re-enter a sit-on-top. combining it with a stirrup can make it really easy. the paddle float can also come in handy for a variety of other things, so I tend to always carry one.

crawling on from bow or stern also works well for some. keep your belly in contact with the boat, that helps keep your center of gravity low.

and to echo several others, practice, practice, practice.

Any one try the paddle float technique the SINK guys use?  Seems like it'd work even better on an SOT.

-Spot-

Dan_E

• Lingcod
  • Formerly known as Indyflyer
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
I appreciate the timeliness of the thread, as I learn to paddle a SOT and how best to get it set up.  I have a stirrup on my Pungo SINK, but can't see how to attach one to a SOT.  Anyone have pics or description of deploying a stirrup on their SOT?  Are you using it looped around your paddle as I've seen some others use?

Alkasazi

• Lingcod
  • Alkasazi
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Yes, I would loop around the paddle. here's a video of it being done with a sit-inside. would work the same for sit-on-top, minus the wriggling into cockpit:

ps - I'd recommend forwarding through blowing up of the paddle float.

Dan_E

• Lingcod
  • Formerly known as Indyflyer
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
Thanks for the video link, I remember seeing a demo several years ago and will revisit the idea now that I am using a SOT.  Using the legs to hoist oneself back in the kayak is much easier than hoping your upper arm strength is enough.

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
You are right. Judging by what I have seen on here, most people's caskets would be made of PVC from Home Depot, lined with pool noodle foam from the dollar store.   ;D

You been in my garage again? ???

Most folks did not consider self rescue reentry when setting up accessories
(rod holders etc) on their yaks. Many of the yaks had gear mounted all over the deck and a person would have to drag over the top of it making the likely hood of snagging your PFD a problem and reentry more difficult.   

I'd agree that you need to practice re-boarding fully loaded. But for the first foray you might want to try it naked.

Well, maybe with the a pfd and drysuit, but with the boat un-rigged and certainly no rods. 

"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008

You been in my garage again? ???

I have to be honest, I was thinking of you when I posted, but didn't want to name names. ;)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 07:47:02 PM by craig »

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Zee's demo is good, and the simplest form of self-rescue.  Most folks who choose to do what we do should be fit enough to perform it.  However, in rough water or if highly fatigued or if weighed down it could be a challenge. 

The other video shows the use of a paddle float and stirrup.  It seemed like a long, involved procedure.  Fine for flat water as in the vid, but probably a bit more difficult in wind and swells and chop.  I'm thinking something similar but simpler.  A simple stirrup to help with Zee's "good kick".  Just a short strap or line with a snap on one end and a loop on the other.  It should be small enough to carry in your PFD.  Snap it to the carry handle on your side (I'm thinking selfishly of my Revo), put foot in loop, then proceed with Zee's procedure. 

I've never tried a stirrup, but I suppose a potential issue is flipping the yak over you.  Real world experimentation is in order.  Sounds like fun!
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

• WS Commander 120, OK Trident 13, Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Had a little reentry practice last weekend with Josh. The Self Rescue Ladder seems the most simple- Especially for flipping wide boats back over. I wouldn't want to try flipping a PA back over without one of these for sure! As stated earlier, physical fitness and fatique play a large factor.
Better to keep ones mouth shut and presumed a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
<Proverbs>

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Had a little reentry practice last weekend with Josh. The Self Rescue Ladder seems the most simple- Especially for flipping wide boats back over. I wouldn't want to try flipping a PA back over without one of these for sure! As stated earlier, physical fitness and fatique play a large factor.

That's a pretty elegant solution.  I'll have to give it a try sometime.  I'm not sure if would help in the surfzone though.

-Spot-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Romanian Redneck

• snoodleboob smoochy bear
  • Sturgeon
  • 2011 Hobie Outback & WS Tarpon 120
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
You made that look easy. Great video!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

• WS Commander 120, OK Trident 13, Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
In the surf zone you just get your a$$ handed to you!
Better to keep ones mouth shut and presumed a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
<Proverbs>

TVET

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Very informational, thanks Zee!  Now all I need is a kayak to practice with, can't wait.

threecreeks

• Lingcod
  • "Life is tough, but it's tougher when yur stupid"
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
I'm down here sitting in Cape Lookout State Park enjoying the read. Lots of great info to be gathered. Completely agree with Pelagic's commentary regarding deck set-up. Seems like a clean deck is a safe deck. When the inevitable huli occurs, the less in the way for quick re-entry the better. The less flotsam to collect the better, too.

When I was setting up the Fish-N-Dive I found some picks of other set ups from the more experienced and well traveled folk in here's Fish-N-Dive pics (Spot and Pelagic). It wasn't just about the where something was put but the how's and why's. It also seemed like the ocean pics of their craft were streamlined vs. the river pics.

Zee's tutorial was great. The one thing I'd add fwiw is just simply this....don't panic! Taking lessons learned from years of whitewater and swift water rescue experience, panic makes simple tasks into rocket science. Taking a few seconds to take a mental inventory of your situation and maybe even laugh a little will allow you the time to collect your thoughts and then concentrate on the task at hand. Getting back into your boat. If you're dressed for immersion you're not going to freeze. If you have a clean deck, you'll have little if any flotsam. If you don't pre-think your re-entry, you'll miss. Misses equal fatigue. Better to take a minute or 30 seconds or whatever time you need to think and make a good solid re-entry then tire yourself out with many attempts. Seems like every time I've dumped in the surf, if I'm able to forget about the sharks that I'm sure are gonna eat me, I just relax, inventory, pre-think the re-entry and flop on up.

Thanks for a great topic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cobra F-n-Dive / Hobie Pro Angler 14