Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 04:17:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:15:34 AM]

by jed
[Today at 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Lowrance hook 2 4x issues  (Read 3963 times)

Bhamkayakfisher

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Hello,

I am having some issues with my lowrance fish finder. I have a hobie 2017 pa so I put the fish finder in the mount that is provided. How ever it can't seem to work other then my speed and water temp. In ”auto” mode it just won't find the bottom. And keeps changing the range. When it is in custom mode and I set the range it doesn't really seem to work either. Any have similar issues?

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I'd troubleshoot in this order.

• Check to make sure there's nothing blocking the transducer or air getting trapped in the in mount cavity
  • Check for corrosion on the male and female connectors (unit / wires), you should be putting a light coat of dielectric grease on these
  • Take a multimeter to the power cord (red plug) with the battery attached, it should read 12v+ consistently. If it's variable or low you have wiring issues (corrosion usually  - really common problem for kayaks) or a lame battery
  • Save your waypoints to an SD card and factory reset the unit
  • Update the operating system via SD card. Make sure the voltage is okay, doing this while losing power will brick the unit
  • Replace transducer
  • If you have the unit under warranty send it back

Bhamkayakfisher

• Plankton
Prefect place to start thank you

uplandsandpiper

The Hook2 series is the most unreliable series of fishfinders on the market. I've sold thousands of fish finders working for West Marine, Sportsman's Warehouse, and North 40 Outfitters and my advice to you is to sell the Hook2 and move to a more reliable unit. The Striker series from Garmin and the Helix series from Humminbird are competitively priced and significantly more reliable.

Bhamkayakfisher

• Plankton
Yeah I am considering this too...I kept the receipt for exactly this reason. Can I get a brand that isn't Lowrance to work in the transducer hatch or will I have to mount it a different way.

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Yeah I am considering this too...I kept the receipt for exactly this reason. Can I get a brand that isn't Lowrance to work in the transducer hatch or will I have to mount it a different way.

BerlyPro sells ABS plastic mounts for other than Lowrance transducers, I used their one for a Ray Marine dragonfly before moving back to Lowrance. There's videos with people modifying the Lowrance mounts to fit whatever transducer on YouTube as well, which would definitely be the cheaper option. Actually had to buy a mount from them for the 3-1 transducer for my Lowrance ti2, solid products. I owned the original hook 4 and ended up gifting it to a friend years ago, I had no problems with it (wiring corrosion problems, but that had nothing to do with the unit) and neither has he, one of the reasons I went back to Lowrance.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 05:52:11 PM by workhard »

uplandsandpiper

I run the Helix transducer in my Hobie Revo without issue. I bought an adapter from Austin Kayak for a few bucks. Works great.