Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 04:28:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 03:18:57 PM]

[Today at 02:01:22 PM]

[Today at 01:59:41 PM]

[Today at 12:18:48 PM]

[Today at 07:37:19 AM]

[Today at 06:19:06 AM]

[May 27, 2024, 09:56:01 PM]

by PNW
[May 27, 2024, 03:12:21 PM]

[May 27, 2024, 07:56:46 AM]

[May 24, 2024, 10:50:02 AM]

[May 24, 2024, 06:36:26 AM]

[May 23, 2024, 07:06:28 AM]

[May 23, 2024, 06:37:37 AM]

[May 23, 2024, 06:35:15 AM]

[May 23, 2024, 06:29:12 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Saturday Salmon Opener  (Read 2390 times)

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
It seems like both Saturday and Sunday looks good for PC using GFS and ICON, I am not familiar with the area, is PC somewhat protected from the swell and wave when launching? My concern is even the swell seems low but the interval is really short.
PC provides protection from NW swells. Haystack Rock also provides some buffer from W swells. Check out the webcam to see what it looks like: http://webcam.pacificcity.org/

Personally, I prefer short period swells for launching. It's the looong period swells that can mess ya up in the surf if you don't time them right.
aMayesing Bros.

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
and make sure you take into account the fog (gps or compass).   It looks quite socked in today. 
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

WetNet

• Perch
  • ...or where the fish are
  • Date Registered: Jun 2021
Not going to be able to join you tomorrow,  >:( good luck to all, stay safe out there
Sometimes bad things happen to good fish.

2021 Old Town Big Water

Clayman

• Salmon
I expected a grind, and it indeed was a grind. I trolled out to about the 210 ft contour. Water was 49 degrees with 15+ ft of visibility. No bait, no nothin besides some jellies. Current was ripping along at a good clip, but I couldn't find any rips or temperature breaks. So I angled back east and got on the reef to fish for lingcod. The brisk drift made fishing the deep reef pretty difficult, so I moved further east to do some prospectin'. Found an uncharted pinnacle in about 60 ft that was alive with black rockfish. Pulled some nice lings off it, including a 40 incher.

Ocean was beautiful. Wind started picking up around noon, but it wasn't that bad.
aMayesing Bros.

Wilyakfish

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jul 2021
Thanks for the report!

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
report from a buddy on his PB at Simpson reef Friday (fish not biting) had me switch last minute from the ocean to lower CoosBay, crabbing top priority with lingcod/salmon fishing as a side quest. Left Pepper home so I could carry 2 pots on the back, one on the bow. 

Lots of baitfish on the sonar in CoosBay but nothing larger on the bite.  I pulled a total of 16 legal crabs, basically one keeper per pot sort of day.  10 hard, 6 soft, tossed back the smallest 4 softies. Steady wind all morning that was just getting gusty as I stacked my gear about 11:30am and headed for the DQ.   ;D   
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 08:44:28 AM by rogerdodger »
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

kemfish

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Apr 2021
SDOR2 and I went out of Depoe.  Some sporadic fish north out of the bay for most of the day.  On the way back towards the harbor we drifted over a spot that produced 12-14 ling plus several lost fish.  Couple keepers in there with some smaller guys.

We both left with a mix of a couple ling and rockfish.  Okay day, not great.

Timed the wind picking up almost perfect.  Started blowing good as we lined up on the bay's entrance and was blowing real good as we loaded up
Keith

Old Town Sportsman 106 PDL

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Headed north for a beach launch with a salt newbie.  Swell was bigger than expected so we got in some practice early.
 After spending an hour working on his launching, landing and re-entry, he was ready. 
While my buddy worked on filling out his bottom fish limit, I managed to troll up a small but still legal chinook. Landings were money and we picked a half dozen legal crab in the shallows. On the road home by noon. 
Gotta love it when a plan comes together!

-Mark-

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
Today's catch, as described by Kemfish.
He forgot to mention the starfish I caught.
Really put up a fight, that one.
Whales everywhere too.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 09:51:44 AM by SD2OR »
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

Clayman

• Salmon
Congrats on the NOF nookie Mark! Looks like the rest of us in the SOF zone had some good fallback options yesterday. Well done!
aMayesing Bros.

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Great fish everyone!!

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

anything