Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 12:36:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 13, 2024, 05:42:39 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 09, 2024, 09:27:35 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: AOTY 2010  (Read 19059 times)

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
The AOTY 2010 sign up is up on the front page.  It will cost you $40, same as last year. 

You can also use the button below to sign up!

The 2010 Angler Of The Year (AOTY) Tournament is a year long competition in which kayak anglers accumulate points per inch of eligible fish.  At the end of the 2010, the overall point leader is crowned the NWKA Angler Of The Year.  Follow the AOTY menu link at the top for more information.
  The entry fee is $40 and you can pay via paypal by clicking this button.

Check back here soon about the new format.  Basically, we're adding more species and your score is going to be based on your best 10 species out of about 20. We just need to settle on the species list and the points per inch for each.  I am also hoping to get the new 2010 AOTY site up and running soon.  The new format means I need to make some changes, so it may take some time.

Meanwhile, I'm going to review the final entries for 2009 and announce the official rankings soon.   I don't suspect things will change much.

Brian

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Some of us will not use PayPal.  Can we pay by check or cash?
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

The Nothing

• De nihilo nihil
  • Sturgeon
  • De nihilo nihil
  • YakFish@IOL
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Registered  ;D

Should be able to pay via CC through the Paypal link
~Isaac
Blog 'YakFish
ProStaff NRSJackson Kayak | PK Lures | YakAngler

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Pm me and we can arrange for sending a check.

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Hey Brian,

A couple of questions for you.

- Will the AOTY account info. carry over from 2009 to 2010 or will I have to create a new one?

- Are we doing the kids competition again this year?

Now hurry up with those rules so we can all plan our strategies!!!   ;D

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

squidgirl

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Hey spot. i think since you have won it like what 3 times so far. you should sit out and let one of us have a chance..  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

just kidding.. competion if fun.
"Life is short lets go fishing"

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Hey Brian,

A couple of questions for you.

- Will the AOTY account info. carry over from 2009 to 2010 or will I have to create a new one?

- Are we doing the kids competition again this year?

Now hurry up with those rules so we can all plan our strategies!!!   ;D

-Mark-

Your 2009 AOTY login will work for 2010 AOTY.

I don't know about prizes, but we can always have a kid's AOTY even if it's just for bragging rights.

As for the new rules, I think we're still working on finalizing the species list and points...

Basically, there will 20 species (7 saltwater fish, 7 freshwater fish and 6 anadromous) to fish for.   You're top 10 best species will count towards your total score.   For example, if you lived in  Eastern Washington you could fill your card up with the 7 freshwater species and 3 of the anadromous species and never venture out onto the ocean and win AOTY (you're welcome EObasser).    Likewise, if you lived on the Oregon Coast you could fill your card with the 7 saltwater species, a steelhead, coho, and chinook and never take your kayak to a freshwater lake all year (you're welcome Pelagic Paddler).

If you manage to catch all 20 species, I'll buy you a beer!

Here is the draft list of species and points (we reserve the right to tweak this a bit in the next couple weeks).  It's safe to say however, that if you go fishing before the list if finalized you'll score some points.

Blue=saltwater
Teal= freshwater
Purple=anadromous

1. Lingcod 4 points
2. Rockfish (Sebastes Genus) 7 pts
3. Greenling 11 pts
4. Cabezon 8 pts
5. Surf Perch 12 pts
6. Halibut 3.5 pts
7. Flounder 7 pts
8. Chinook 4 pts
9. Coho 5 pts
10. Chum 5 pts
11. Sturgeon 3.5 pts
12. Steelhead 5 pts
13. Cutthroat trout 7 pts
14. Rainbow trout 7 pts
15. Smallmouth Bass 9 pts
16. Largemouth Bass 8 pts
17. Panfish 16 pts
18. Walleye 5 pts
19. Kokanee 6 pts
20. Tiger Muskie/Pike 4 pts

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
If this question should be moved or is just plain stupid, feel free to move and/or delete it.  Couldn't someone pass off a steelhead as a rainbow trout and get more points, or do you have to list where you catch it?  I'm not saying anyone would cheat the system, just curious really.

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
That's not a stupid question and it has come up in the past.  For example..Spot's 199.5 pt rainbow trout this year.

http://aoty.northwestkayakanglers.com/catch/show/117

It seemed big (steelhead big), but after determining that it was caught on Henry Hagg Lake and that it was a brooder trout, all was well.

There are a bunch of ways to potentially cheat in AOTY.  Hopefully no one would do that here.  We haven't had to deal with it yet, but cheating will have consequences.  

goldendog

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I like the new scoring system Brian. It should make for a very interesting AOTY this year!

You might even consider a prize for the angler that catches the most species. It looks like catching all of them would be a challenge in itself!
Fishing is much more than fish.  It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.  ~Herbert Hoover

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
I like the new scoring system Brian. It should make for a very interesting AOTY this year!

You might even consider a prize for the angler that catches the most species. It looks like catching all of them would be a challenge in itself!

Thanks. 

Didn't I just offer a beer to anyone catching all 20!  I think "the catch all 20 thing" is more of a bragging right than anything else.   

BTW, some folks have already paid for AOTY 2010.  If for some reason you don't like the new format and want out (and your money back) let me know.

EOB

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2009
Personally I think walleye should have been bumped up to 20 points per inch ;D

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
The 2010 AOTY site is up and running.  

http://aoty.northwestkayakanglers.com/

I still need to add the new species and points per inch, and I need to fix the rules page to reflect this, but everything else is set up (I think).   If you've paid me already you should be listed on the leaderboard now.  If you had kids in the youth division last year and you've paid me for this year, I automatically added them back for this year.

The 2009 results are listed as new tabs on the navigation menu.

Brian

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
I like the new format.

I've never participated but will this year.  I'm guessing the new format will increase the number of anglers involved.

Good luck to everyone and congratulations Spot.

Edit:
Looking at the fish species in freshwater could Rainbow trout be changed to trout in general (including Salmo and Salvelinus).  It would be a shame to not include Browns, Brookies, Bulls, Lakers and Lahotans.   
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 02:01:26 PM by snopro »

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Kokanee are actually landlocked sockeye and count towards the coho and other salmon category.

Kokanee rarely get over 14 inches.  Putting them in the 'salmon' category pretty much rules them out as a useable species for AOTY purposes.

They are commonly called 'silver' trout, and they are typically smaller than most other trout caught in lakes/rivers, and imo warrant a separate point rating from salmon and trout.  

My opinion, which might not matter much as I haven't signed up yet, is that they should be in the 8 to 10 point range.

Edit:  Seems the rules posted are the 2009 rules and don't match the current rules posted in this thread.  Still though, 6pts seems really low.  Kokanee are somewhere between panfish and bass in average size right?

« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 02:20:43 PM by Lee »