Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 07:25:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:11:23 AM]

by jed
[Today at 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Poll

Are you signing up for AOTY this year?

Yes, I already have.
Yes, but I just haven't gotten around to it.
I would, but $40 is a bit steep.
I would, but I don't feel like I have a chance.
I would, but I don't like the new rules.
No, I don't like competition

Topic: AOTY 2010 interest  (Read 10584 times)

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2006
lotsa interest here! Just not the funds at the moment to enter.
 I feel I will get more time on the water this year than last.
 If the weather lays down some. :(
 You can bet I will sign up soon though.
 :banjo:
the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
bit steep / snowflake's chance = me  :-\

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I'd love to be in it this year. I like the new format, because I didn't get many chances at the saltwater fish under the old format.

One of my piggy Rufus triploids would put me in 2nd place! :o

Yarjammer

• Salmon
  • Captain of the Titanic
  • Date Registered: May 2008
The new format is actually why I entered again this year.  I'm still going to try for some of the ones I'm not used to going for, but at least I'm able to spend more time fishing for what I'd like to fish for without having to do a great deal of planning.  If I don't get a decent rockfish or ling during WA's one month season I'm not out of the contest or forced to drive down to OR repeatedly.  To that end, this format is more forgiving to Washingtonians and our landlocked friends in Idaho.

fishnut

• Salmon
  • 1st Recipient of 2012 A$$hat Award
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
I signed up because I heard there was a new Hobie Revo or Adventure just for being good looking. Figured I'd take it hands down. All kidding aside, I'm just
supporting the club and I do hopw to put some fish on the board. Would love to team up with one of the Oregon boy's for a rockfishing newbie education. ::) ::) :-*

EOB

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2009
The new format is actually why I entered again this year.  I'm still going to try for some of the ones I'm not used to going for, but at least I'm able to spend more time fishing for what I'd like to fish for without having to do a great deal of planning.  If I don't get a decent rockfish or ling during WA's one month season I'm not out of the contest or forced to drive down to OR repeatedly.  To that end, this format is more forgiving to Washingtonians and our landlocked friends in Idaho.

If this is the way most people feel then the change was for the best.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
repeatedly, I've not entered due to my employment keeping me off the water, and in many cases, not in PacNW or even in the states. simply, i often just do not have the time to fish for all those species. if or when i get out, it's either spur of the moment local, or months of wrangling with my schedule to get the stars to align to make a group event.

so, I'll stay on the side lines , tossing barbs at some and rooting for others, which can be a lot of fun in and of itself... and believe it or not, you could actually set up a fantasy fishing contest based on the NWKA AOTY.  >:D
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

holtfisher

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
I signed up because I heard there was a new Hobie Revo or Adventure just for being good looking. Figured I'd take it hands down. All kidding aside, I'm just
supporting the club and I do hopw to put some fish on the board. Would love to team up with one of the Oregon boy's for a rockfishing newbie education. ::) ::) :-*

Yep, I agree with your statement, am also one of those supporting the club, no fish in the boat yet, but I got to fish more to learn how to do it. The pictures are encoraging.
holt
Hobie Revo, Mirage Drive

Yakker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
My main problem is scheduling enough fishing time--been working 6 days most weeks since summer and see no let up til this coming summer.  And was just told there will be no vacations allowed in August--there goes Moucha--and that was one Event I really wanted.   :'( :'(
Rob.
There is a thin line between hobby and insanity.

Drool

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
I'm tiling our bathroom then replacing a garage door which is currently stuck.  Yep - yak is inside.  Will join very soon though since the water is calling.

ConeHeadMuddler

• non-competitor
  • Sturgeon
  • Smells like low tide
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
I just like to go fishing and catch what I catch. I'm not into the competitive end of it, other than sometimes getting up earlier than most people. Usually I'm later.
I'm just here for the good info and to meet some fellow yak fishers.

Yarjammer, Lingcod is open here on the WA coast in Marine Area 2 from March 13 to the end of Oct. Rockfish/Cabezon/Greenling/Surf Perch are open year-round.  If you miss getting any up there, head on out here!
ConeHeadMuddler

• Date Registered: Aug 2009
I'll enter but $40 is a bit steep and its early in the year still.  Not having a job can be both a advantage and disadvantage at this game!

HBH

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
i like the fun aspect of the competition, but i dont have a chance of winning, so i feel like i am just donating $40 to the guy who has the most time to go fishing (no disrespect meant at all, in fact i am jealous)...if the entry fee was much less and more or less a "club fee" and the winner gets bragging right for a year, i am in.  in fact you could make the "club fee" high enough to cover the cost of a "NWKA" tee shirt and entry fee to the aoty, the winner gets bragging rights...

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
i like the fun aspect of the competition, but i dont have a chance of winning, so i feel like i am just donating $40 to the guy who has the most time to go fishing

Would you believe that the winner for the last two years is a single full-time dad with a home and yard to tend and a full time job that includes regular daily and weekend overtime?
It's all about the luck.  ;)

-Spot-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
i like the fun aspect of the competition, but i dont have a chance of winning, so i feel like i am just donating $40 to the guy who has the most time to go fishing

Would you believe that the winner for the last two years is a single full-time dad with a home and yard to tend and a full time job that includes regular daily and weekend overtime?
It's all about the luck.  ;)

-Spot-

I heard he was a giant too, and was sequestered away to a Himalayan Monastery since childbirth.  It turns out that this particular monastery was well versed in the ancient secrets of kayak fishing.  After reaching Zen level 888, said giant was deployed to the great Pacific NorthWest to bring enlightenment to the many members of NWKA.  Want to learn his secrets?  Sign up for AOTY!!!

-Allen

anything