Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 02:39:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:15:34 AM]

by jed
[Today at 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: 2010 NWKA tournament schedule  (Read 9963 times)

jself

Sweet. I can actually do the rockfish classic this year....maybe even Youngs Bay.

Nice job fellas.

Jason

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Another thought for the Dungie Tourney is Kayak Point on Port Susan, WA.  It is rather far north, but any location will be far from some or most of us.  The waters are full of crab and the park is large, comfortable, and well appointed.

In any case, this will be a very difficult decision, and it sounds like a blast.
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
I assume that for the youngs bay salmon tourney that it is the starting point/launch/weigh in location?  and if one wanted to paddle out and fish the columbia nearby that would be ok?  Not that hot of fishing in youngs bay proper.  I have fished the Bouy 10 area for many years and the youngs bay area is a ghost town when the fish are in.  Where are we thinking of launching from? 

Young's Bay was chosen to take advantage of the often overlooked Chinook run that returns to the Klaskanine.  This run of fish is composed mostly of "Rogue River Brights" (as opposed to Tules).  We wanted to have the tournament in an area that would provide a relatively safe enviornment and good odds of catching a tournament winner for the novice while still allowing the more experienced paddlers access to The Big Show in the mainstem.  As the odds of getting that big fish may be a little better in the mainstem, the penalty of having to slog from the launch out to the big river equalizes the game.

As far as I know, the launch location has not been finalized.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Sounds cool... Let me know if you need a hand with any logistics etc.

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Sounds cool... Let me know if you need a hand with any logistics etc.
PM'n ya.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
The official word from the ODFW is that all Wa residents will need a OR license to fish Youngs Bay.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year

squidgirl

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
So since all the tournaments are in Oregon.... is it cheaper for Washington residence to buy a oregon lisence then a oregon buy a washington..

"Life is short lets go fishing"

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
So since all the tournaments are in Oregon.... is it cheaper for Washington residence to buy a oregon lisence then a oregon buy a washington..

I don't think so.  I think the Oregon Rockfishing tournament, is just that.  The new salmon fishing tourney near Astoria was meant to be between Washington and Oregon on the Columbia, but it just so happens that the safer location is on the Oregon side.  As for the crab tournament, I don't think the location is set yet.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have something in  Washington.  Maybe a freshwater tournament option of some sort.  Any ideas?  Muskies?  Triploid trout?  Walleye?

Brian
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Chelan!  Laketrout tourney!

Actually that's not a great idea cuz the fish are like 200 feet down and I don't think most of us have DRs.  BUT, a Kokanee tourney at Alder Lake, or something like that would be hot. 

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Chelan!  Laketrout tourney!

Actually that's not a great idea cuz the fish are like 200 feet down and I don't think most of us have DRs.  BUT, a Kokanee tourney at Alder Lake, or something like that would be hot. 

Jigging lakers at 200 feet works perfectly well in Chelan.  No DR needed.

So ... how about we get our Chum Thing on this fall?

-Allen

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007

I don't think so.  I think the Oregon Rockfishing tournament, is just that.  The new salmon fishing tourney near Astoria was meant to be between Washington and Oregon on the Columbia, but it just so happens that the safer location is on the Oregon side.  As for the crab tournament, I don't think the location is set yet.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have something in  Washington.  Maybe a freshwater tournament option of some sort.  Any ideas?  Muskies?  Triploid trout?  Walleye?

Brian

You know, we had a Drano Lake event once apon a time.
The Cowlitz has springers and steelhead (and is pretty equidistant)
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
From a safety standpoint, I would recommend NOT having an event on the Cowlitz.  Maybe way downstream near the confluence with the Columbia is different, but from barrier damn to I-5 is REALLY high, fast flow.

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
The admins will be in pow-wow about any other tournaments although based on our size I think we're at capacity.

For clarification tournament location is based on a few criteria.
1. Placed centrally so all NWKA members can attend. Although there's a lot of us in the Seattle and Portland there's plenty more around our states and we want our tournaments to be in a location that we can all join up have a good time kayak fishing and have some friendly competition.

2. Placed at a location that has good kayak fishing. Some members from WA may be a little bummed that they have to drive more than members from OR. Truth be told the fishing is better where the tournaments are and that's better for everyone.

Z
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 12:43:56 PM by Zee »
2010 Angler Of The Year

FishSniffer

• Lingcod
  • Hobie Mirage Adv., Outback SUV, OK Scrambler XT's
  • Midcoast Chapter of Northwest Steelheaders
  • Date Registered: Apr 2008
Cool.  So far no conflicts on any of the dates.

Now, about a date for that Halibut Challenge.....  September?  Coos Bay area?

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
Now, about a date for that Halibut Challenge.....  September?  Coos Bay area?
For anyone who wants to put together an MBF (Money Between Friends) or friendly tournament, please feel free to do so.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year

anything