Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:40:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 26, 2024, 08:38:44 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:11:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Coos Bay currents  (Read 983 times)

jp52

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
I'm planning to go crabbing in Coos Bay tomorrow and would like input from people familiar with the area (calling Rogerdodger) about the current speed. I'm planning to launch at about 7:30 near the Dairy Queen and pedal directly across the Bay. That time will be in the middle of a tidal change of about 4.8 ft (2.9 low to 7.7 high). I would return shortly after slack high tide. Do you think the current will be moving too fast at launch time? Do you think all the recent rain will increase the current speed? I've gone out here a few times but the tides were lower. I'm on a Hobie Outback. If anyone wants to join me that would be great.

micahgee

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
I'm not familiar with the area so hopefully someone local can chime in.

However on www.deepzoom.com there are some helpful current forecasts based on location to get a sense of what it may be like. It's been really useful for me as gives a lot more detail that just a tide table
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

www.heroesonthewater.org

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
that tide change doesn't look too bad, the outgoing current will counteract some of the tide and probably it will go slack/high just a bit early, then turn and go out quickly. I would expect the best crabbing from about 9am to noon.  My best crab have come, when conditions are good, in the area off the submerged jetty but not out in the full depth channel, like in the 25' to 30' depth water.

DQ launch at that level should be good, not too much mud to get over and getting back a bit after high is good also.  once you get into the afternoon, the outgoing+outflow will be strong. 

the area to be careful around is the large #7 Green marker at the top of the submerged jetty, near it and just above it can get rather swirly when the tide is moving, I've had a few 'pucker' moments in that area.  ;D

2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

jp52

• Herring
I'm not familiar with the area so hopefully someone local can chime in.

However on www.deepzoom.com there are some helpful current forecasts based on location to get a sense of what it may be like. It's been really useful for me as gives a lot more detail that just a tide table

Thanks! That site is really useful. It shows the max current in the channel is 1.6 kt which should be no problem in the main channel.

jp52

• Herring
that tide change doesn't look too bad, the outgoing current will counteract some of the tide and probably it will go slack/high just a bit early, then turn and go out quickly. I would expect the best crabbing from about 9am to noon.  My best crab have come, when conditions are good, in the area off the submerged jetty but not out in the full depth channel, like in the 25' to 30' depth water.

DQ launch at that level should be good, not too much mud to get over and getting back a bit after high is good also.  once you get into the afternoon, the outgoing+outflow will be strong. 

the area to be careful around is the large #7 Green marker at the top of the submerged jetty, near it and just above it can get rather swirly when the tide is moving, I've had a few 'pucker' moments in that area.  ;D

Thanks for the detailed information Roger! Good to know about the mud at the launch. I am still learning this spot and I was wondering how low it has to be before it's too muddy. I'll stay away from #7 when the water is moving. I have been in whirlpools the South Slough a few times. They gently turned my kayak in circles which was fun, but I imagine a more energetic whirlpools wouldn't be fun.

jp52

• Herring
It was a great day out there. Current wasn't bad at all, the weather was gorgeous and the crabs were biting. Got my limit in 90 minutes. Had one pot with 9 keepers! Had to toss a bunch back. Couldn't ask for a better day.

micahgee

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Nice work! That's tasty looking pile of dungees + a few red rocks I see
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

www.heroesonthewater.org

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

anything