Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 09:29:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:15:11 AM]

by DBam
[May 06, 2024, 10:23:23 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 07:01:25 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 05:31:42 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Old Town Predator question  (Read 5928 times)

NoYaks

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Those who own the Predator 13 or the MX:
Do you cartop rack your kayak?
Deck down or Hull down and what fixtures would you use on the Yakima rack against the hull?
Any possibility of a photo of how you transport your Predator would be very helpful.

I cannot find a photo of a Predator on a roof rack using Google Images. I'm hoping someone carries theirs on the roof. That would be so much easier than a trailer.

I drove up to Scappoose Bay on Friday to try out pedal boats and met Andy at Scappose Bay Kayak; very nice person. Andy had the Outback and the PA14 in the water for a bit of testing. Regretfully the pedal boats affect my back in a bad way after a very short time. I'm guessing it is the recumbent attitude and the pressure it puts on my lower back. In any event it was a worthwhile trip to find out what wont work.

Prior to looking at the Hobie's I had a short list with the Predator 13 at the top. I am an avid canoeist and not bothered by an upper body workout, so I believe the paddle kayak will be best for me. We'll see.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Hull down.  On Malone Sea Wing saddles.

-Allen

NoYaks

• Rockfish
Thanks Polepole I visited Malone site where they specify a 70# rating. I've E-Mailed them to see if that means 70# each or total. I'm sure it will haul it, but I'd like to have the manufacturer's blessings.
I'll post their recommendation when it comes in. Thanks so much for the answer.

Next Adventure sells the Predator and has 3 of the 13's in stock. The person I spoke with did not have the information on how it would be carried, but suggested they would figure out a way. I'm off to demo one when I find out I can carry it on a rack. I've got a trailer but that costs a fortune to run and has to be towed by my F-250. I would love to have economy and purpose at the same time. If I can car top it, I'll use the Honda Civic, I got 42 mpg on the trip to Scappose Bay...

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Note that I don't just strap to the Sea Wings only.  I run the straps through the outside slot in the Sea Wing and down and around the crossbar.  This reduces lateral flexiing of the Sea Wings.  I cinch the straps down until the middle of the kayak touches the middle of the Sea Wing.  With it done this way, I don't see what difference 100 pounds would make over 50 pounds.  I use both bow and stern lines too.  So it's not going anywhere.

I've covered literally 1000's of miles this way, even some rough offroad that left a rear bearing fried.  The Sea Wings have held up well.

-Alen

NoYaks

• Rockfish
I Contacted Malone to ask about their SeaWing hull mount which fits round or square roof rack bars. Following is my question and their answer. It is always nice to get the manufacturer’s feedback… especially when it is positive.

QUESTION:
SKU#: MPG107MD (w/ Bow & Stern Lines)
I may need to car-top an 86 pound Old Town Predator 13 Kayak. The Sea Wing has been recommended as a possible solution. I see it states a 70 pound maximum rating. If the Sea Wing is not capable; do you have another suggestion?

ANSWER:
Thank you for inquiring about Malone Auto Racks. The SeaWing is rated much lower than is actual capabilities. That said, All of our reps currently use the SeaWing for the Predator boats and have had nothing but positive feedback.
The other option we’d suggest is the use of the MPG109, or MPG110 saddles. I hope this helps and please feel free to contact me with any other questions you may have.
 Aaron Cacavas Technical Support

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
I Contacted Malone to ask about their SeaWing hull mount which fits round or square roof rack bars. Following is my question and their answer. It is always nice to get the manufacturer’s feedback… especially when it is positive.

QUESTION:
SKU#: MPG107MD (w/ Bow & Stern Lines)
I may need to car-top an 86 pound Old Town Predator 13 Kayak. The Sea Wing has been recommended as a possible solution. I see it states a 70 pound maximum rating. If the Sea Wing is not capable; do you have another suggestion?

ANSWER:
Thank you for inquiring about Malone Auto Racks. The SeaWing is rated much lower than is actual capabilities. That said, All of our reps currently use the SeaWing for the Predator boats and have had nothing but positive feedback.
The other option we’d suggest is the use of the MPG109, or MPG110 saddles. I hope this helps and please feel free to contact me with any other questions you may have.
 Aaron Cacavas Technical Support

You should suggest to them to increase their ratings if they really will take more weight.  I'll do the same!  FWIW, I pro staff for the Ocean Kayak / Old Town sales rep.  He also carries Malone as one of his lines.   Note that I do NOT pro staff for Malone.  However, I'm probably included as one of the reps that "currently is the SeaWing for the Predator boats and have had nothing but positive feedback".   ::)

-Allen

NoYaks

• Rockfish
Thanks Allen for the SeaWing suggestion... Now all I need do is get a boat to put on the rack.
Wandering around on the forum I found another thread where you mentioned the SeaWing and showed a photo; It looks very easy to use. I will do as you suggested and send a follow-up note to the tech guy suggestion an upgrade in capacity.

anything