Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:58:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:45:55 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:11:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Baker lake  (Read 1583 times)

builderbri

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Aug 2021
WDFW put out a statement that there is a banner return of sockeye there this summer, and they are opening it up early. With a 3 fish limit, this sounds like fun. I camped there once some 25 years ago and haven't been back since. Is there anyone who has gone there with their kayak who is willing to give some advice. or are planning to go. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
WDFW put out a statement that there is a banner return of sockeye there this summer, and they are opening it up early. With a 3 fish limit, this sounds like fun. I camped there once some 25 years ago and haven't been back since. Is there anyone who has gone there with their kayak who is willing to give some advice. or are planning to go. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

5x the amount of sockeye have returned to the Baker trap than last year at this point so far. There are over 20k fish in the lake currently. This is more than banner year, it’s blowing all the previous years out of the water.

builderbri

• Herring
So, I watched a couple of videos on youtube and learned a few things. It looks promising, however it does look like it could get crowded. I have the weekend of the 23rd open so I might travel up there then. I would love to hook up with someone. I am not familiar with the area, so I have some research to do before I go.

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
So, I watched a couple of videos on youtube and learned a few things. It looks promising, however it does look like it could get crowded. I have the weekend of the 23rd open so I might travel up there then. I would love to hook up with someone. I am not familiar with the area, so I have some research to do before I go.

Just make sure you're trolling around 1mph, ~35feet deep and on the water at zero dark thirty. The bite will die ~830am, after that you can troll for hours and maybe get one fish.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I appreciate the info here and am looking into this. I will review the regs and poke around, but my main question is: Is now the best time to go? Or better later this month?

builderbri

• Herring
I don't have firsthand experience here, just my observations from research. It appears that the peak of the run came in early. Today's numbers show that it could continue and be a record year. Only time will tell. I know one person up north and the word is, that this news has got guides coming from as far away as Montana. It's crazy busy up there now. If you can fish mid week I'm sure that would be the best choice. Unfortunately, I don't have that option. My understanding is that historically fish are caught into August, as the bulk of the fish make it to the lake. Like at Brewster they mill around the lake until it's time to spawn. Which is later maybe September I don't know exactly. If you go to WDFW website and look at the newsroom article on Baker Lake. There you can find a link that shows returning numbers.  I hope this helps. I would still like to go next week. but I twisted my ankle pretty bad Tuesday, and I don't know If will be healthy enough to pedal around by then. Good luck if you go and I would love to hear a report.

bpm2000

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
They just upped the limit to five.
formerly known as smokeondawater

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Captain red beard- based on reports fishing is great!  But slows after 830am. People are getting limits fast. Some by 545am.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

bernie3674

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jun 2022
I appreciate the info here and am looking into this. I will review the regs and poke around, but my main question is: Is now the best time to go? Or better later this month?

I have seen facebook post and comments regarding going at zero dark 30, and after 830am the bite stops.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Thanks everyone for the info. I really want to go but midweek would be a stretch for me at the moment - I could maybe do a Monday. I'll see what I can put together. Sounds really fun, but also I feel like everything is already too crowded, so not sure it's worth the drive from stumptown. THANK YOU!

Wiggins

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Here are my notes from this year. Hope it helps someone in years to come.

Here is what I would add. 8:30 is too early to head in. The fishing would die off around 7:30-8am, but then there would be a bump in activity 9:30 to 11:30. I noticed the same thing with Kokanee at Lake Samish this year, and I can’t figure out why. It does not seem to happen every year.

Fish the thermocline. Getting your bait where the water is 50-58 degrees seemed to mater more than going deep as the sun rises.

If you are camping don’t ignore the evening bite. Go out as soon as the wind waves die down. 

Kyle