Forum > The Kayak Shack

which one?

(1/3) > >>

jcw:
New guy here. I am looking at either the 13' or 15' Ocean Kayak angler kayaks. I would like to get your firsthand experience, pro and con these two boats. The areas I would be using the boat in are in the north sound, and lakes. Thanks in advance, Jeff.

bsteves:
The 15s are a little faster but turn a little slower than the 13s.  If you plan to really rack up the miles (say trolling all day) then investing in one of the 15s might be a good idea.  Otherwise, I think the 13s are a good all around fishing kayak.  Now the question is are you looking at the old Prowlers or the newer Tridents?

Also, it which you choose may depend a bit on your size.  If you're a really big guy.. 6'4" 300+ lbs the Trident 15 is going to suit you best.  If you're 5' 3" and 130 lbs  then you may like the 13 ft kayaks better.

Try and arrange to demo as many different models as you can so you can find what fits you best.

Brian

polepole:
Without knowing anything about a particular person ... I recommend the T13.  Brian talks about some of the factors that might lead to a T15.  I paddled the T15 for the better part of last season before switching over the the T13.  I'm 6'3" and 220#.  The T13 just feels like a better overall yak for me.

-Allen

amb:
jcw,

Welcome to the forum.  These guys know what they'r talking about, and can give you some good advice.  Some folks may also have an extra boat you can try out first too.  Good luck and have fun -

Alan

jcw:
bsteves, polepole, amb.  Thanks for your replies. A little bit about me. I am 5'9" and 230lbs. The 13 ft. I am told is last years model Angler in the wheat color. The guy at Johnson Outdoors in Ferndale WA. (Next door to the Ocean Kayak factory) told me I could do a test paddle in the pond out back. The 15 footer is this years boat and I found it in a sporting goods store in the area. I could probably paddle both at Johnson  Outdoors. I am tending to think the 15' may be the better boat for me considering my weight and the trolling issue. I do like drift mooching and do more of it than trolling with a downrigger in my regular fishing boat. The exception to that is going for silvers.

My experience with a sit on top boat is a few days renting in hawaii.  Didn't have a problem then so I don't think I'll have any trouble figuring out a fishing rig.  Thanks again for your replies, Jeff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version