Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 08:18:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:03:47 PM]

[Today at 06:04:24 PM]

by jed
[Today at 04:56:16 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 03:57:54 PM]

[Today at 09:43:36 AM]

[Today at 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Pacific City Mon 04/19?  (Read 3451 times)

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Just got a notification from the PCDA and figured I would share it because it applies to everyone.

"There have been multiple recent complaints reported to the county about fish waste in the river. This has been going on as far back as my memory goes and you can make the argument that it does no harm but it is illegal by state and county rules to dump ocean waste into the river (carcasses, crab shells, etc.). It is enforceable so before anyone gets cited let’s find a different solution."

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Just got a notification from the PCDA and figured I would share it because it applies to everyone.

"There have been multiple recent complaints reported to the county about fish waste in the river. This has been going on as far back as my memory goes and you can make the argument that it does no harm but it is illegal by state and county rules to dump ocean waste into the river (carcasses, crab shells, etc.). It is enforceable so before anyone gets cited let’s find a different solution."

That's a reasonable complaint. I've seen tons of carcs and crab shells in the shallows by the gravel boat ramp at random times.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
Great to see the plastic navy at Cape Kiwanda yesterday! After missing the last 4 or 5 windows this was my first chance to get out on the open ocean this year and, man, it did not disappoint! I fished around 7am-3pm and it was beautiful the entire time. And, as a bonus, the beach wasn't all torn up yet like it will be in a few weeks.

I was fishing with bwon, BogFrogDog, and my niece. It was my niece's 2nd time on the salt and she did awesome, including 2 nice lings. I don't know how much bwon is on here anymore so I'll brag for him - he got his personal best lingcod at 33".

For some reason I could not seem to keep rockfish on the hook, but I got a few decent ones. It wasn't the best rockfish bite I've seen but it was certainly doable and there were schools to be found and worked. We released countless lingcod and I took home a fat 34 incher. I also got a nice deep-water kelp greenling for AOTY points and a 10-days-too-early halibut.

It seemed like quillback rockfish were super active and everyone in the group caught at least one, which was fun. We covered a pretty good spectrum of nearshore rockfish species including black, blue, copper, canary, china, and quillbacks, but no vermillion or yelloweye this time.

YakOnDaSea

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Feb 2021
It was my first time offshore so don't have much to compare it to, but what a beautiful day. I've been told it was a "unicorn" kind of day and don't expect to see it again for some time.
Adding to the theme my brother and I both flipped on our way back in, right after Stinger Hook had their tumble. A wave came behind turning me and it was over before I knew what happened. Unfortunately I forgot to secure the GoPro and ended up losing it....if you find it I'll buy you food and beer!

That Being said, it was such an amazing and fun day. Wasn't sure what to expect since I've never done offshore kayak fishing but the bite was incredible. Within 10 minutes of launch I hooked into black rockfish. It was nonstop until about 11:30 or so and ended up limiting out on rockfish and lings. Can't wait to get back in!

T Coastal

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2019
Glad to see so many people did great! Hoping there is many more opportunities this year that line up with my days off.
2020 Hobie Outback
2018 Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
I also got a nice deep-water kelp greenling for AOTY points and a 10-days-too-early halibut.
Aren't you the one that lost a monster halibut at PC last year?  Whats the secret to hooking halibut there?

Dave

;D Guilty. I guess if I didn't want to be known for that I shouldn't have made the video - haha.

I honestly don't have any secret. I like dragging jigs around spots that no one else is fishing, that's about it.

There are a few relatively close spots that people favor, apparently, but those are hard earned secrets and I haven't put in the time yet. I'm marking the spots where I catch and I hope to have time when the season is open to see if I can keep up my luck. I have read a bit about what type of habitat they prefer and I'm trying to map that to where I'm finding them, but I need more data points.

Helium Head

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Yakondasea, if you like going for Ling I suggest you get a game hook. From personal experience you will lose large lings on that fish stringer, even after bleeding ;D They will bend that clip open!
Hobie Revolution 13 olive
Hobie Revolution 13 yellow

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
I've grown accustomed to my game clip but another option is to just keep one of these in your life vest pocket or hatch. Simple, small, works.

anything