Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:01:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Puget Sound Outing -- Open Invite (UPDATE! Date changed to Friday July 2nd)  (Read 3861 times)

codeman

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
Well, the first scheduled trip fell through, all participants had things pop up. No worries, it allowed me to attend the HOW event, which I loved.  So much so, that I am going to attend the second event, on Saturday June 19th, hence the change in dates for this flat fish trip.  Sorry, if any were planning to attend the original June date. I changed the date to the following friday, June 25th.  I still plan on being at the launch, ready to disembark around 7am.  IF you need to arrive a little later, or just find yourself running behind, we'll be easy to locate out on the water, just a half mile or less to your right (NE). As long as weather is nice (Might be getting a tad warm out by the end of June), fishing should be stellar. If you havent communicated with me yet (PM, Email) please do so, and i'll add you to my group text, so you can keep up with Q&A's, possible commuting together, etc.  Anyways, I hope to see as many of you out there as possible!

-Cody (codeman)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 08:28:01 PM by codeman »

Squidder_K

• Rockfish
  • A bad day of fishing is still better than a good d
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
US Army & Army National Guard Veteran of 34 years
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans!," FOB Danger, Tikrit Iraq 2005
Boston Sports Fan since 1967, I have seen the highs, and the lows of Boston sports teams.
aka Kevin

codeman

• Rockfish
All of those showing interest in the may 22nd outing, have had things come up. Ive decided to spend the day at the HOW event, in case anyone whom hadn't reached out yet was planning on just showing up at Steilacoom. So far, the June 19th event is still on the books. Tight lines.

Cody

codeman

• Rockfish
-BUMP- 

Notice I needed to change the event date.....

codeman

• Rockfish
Well, due to many many reasons, the previous attempts to put this trip together all fell though. However, many are committed to making this happen on July 2nd. Several have already bought their daily licenses. It will be fairly hot out, but myself and approx 7 others will be meeting at the steilacoom ferry launch at 7.  A lunch break, and possibly many other breaks, will be taken to get out of the hot sun throughout the day. Anyone who has not already contacted me to be added to the group text feel free to pm me. this is an open invite though, so feel free to just show up whenever, and join a great group of guys out on the water.

Cody

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
My son and I are really looking forward to this outing.  Thanks for putting this together Cody.
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
Where are the fun stories and cool pics to make me really regret not going guys?
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

codeman

• Rockfish
It was an amazing day of fishing with an amazing group of guys.  Counting myself, we had 11 participants. 8 from Oregon, 3 from Washington.  Ive made somewhere between 15 and 20 previous trips to Steilacoom, with very predictable results: I catch the species, in the area/depths that Im expecting. Yesterday was completely different. Typically, I only catch Sanddabs outside of the 80' line, usually deeper than 100'.  Yesterday we were all hammering sanddabs up in shallow, with the 50' line being particular productive. They were super aggressive, and mostly of the largest size.  I think almost everyone caught multiple doubles. I have caught 6 whitespotted greenling in my entire life, in all of my trips to the sound in total.  I caught 7 yesterday alone, and most of the other participants caught multiple as well, and out away from the rocks where ive caught them before. Many of the members were after dogfish as well, and most werent dissapointed. I think we caught around 20 or 25 as a group, many lost at the boat as the light gear we were using just wasnt up to the task. Some went to heavier gear with chunks of fish, and landed some really nice dogfish. I forgot how much fun they are to catch. We all talked about next time, bringing a set up and bait to chase sharks on purpose.  4 of the members I had never met before, so it was cool to add some new fishing buddies.  First group got launched around 8, we all fished till about 11 or so and then broke for a quick lunch and gab session. We went back out and fished till about 230, and then headed for home, and the wonderful Tacoma-Olympia friday traffic. Ugh. For some reason, my account refuses to allow me to post pictures anymore, You'll have to wait for the other participants to post theirs. I cant wait to plan the next trip, looking at doing the Nisqually delta for huge starries, dogfish, and possibly pink salmon.....stay posted for trip details/invites
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 12:30:06 PM by codeman »

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
Sounds like it was a fun filled day! Definitely gonna have to make sure I make the next trip, especially if there are salmon to be had! Thanks for the great report!
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

Mellow Yellow

• Herring
  • 2011 Perception Pescador; 2017 Hobie Outback
  • Date Registered: Sep 2011
What a hoot! Cody, thank you for organizing a superb day with a bunch of great people. No waves, no wind, no boats, afternoon sun and a successful, enjoyable full day of fishing! Wonderful to fish a new area so close to home for me and meet other members of this forum.

Got home and cleaned my fish following some of the shortcuts we discussed. I did notice that the 2nd fish from the left on the top row has his eyes on backwards— wife says I’m eating that one. Tried explaining it’s not a sand dab, but no dice.

Look forward to next time.

—- enrique
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 01:51:28 PM by Mellow Yellow »

Helium Head

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
First pic is a panorama of most of us on the water.  Second pic is Phacellophora camtschatica, commonly known as the fried egg jellyfish or egg-yolk jellyfish. Third pic shows one greedy fish taking both baits/hooks! Fourth pic is me with one of 8 sharks (dogfish) I caught.  I used sturgeon hooks with the Dacron line and lost 3 as their teeth cut cleanly though that line.  The cut was so clean I had a hard time believing it until it happens right at the kayak.  One shark followed another up and suddenly dashed to the other side of the kayak to rip one of the flatfish off my game hook.  Rumor has it there is video.  Fifth pic is dinner, one sandab, one rock sole, fresh picked peas.  Last pic is a cut anchovy found in stomach of one sole.  I thick it is Rays!
Hobie Revolution 13 olive
Hobie Revolution 13 yellow

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
my turn...

What a great day out on the water with a great group of folks.
Ray
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
Here is the fabled video of the shark helping its self to Helium Head's fish.  It sure was nice of you to share your fish with him...  ;D

Ray
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge

codeman

• Rockfish
That was fantastic!

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Looks like a freakin blast! Wish I wasn’t half laid up as I would have joined ya, thanks for the gracious offer heliumhead. Hopefully I’m back to well enough to get some fishing in.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”