Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:09:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Level of interest in a Kingston and or Jeff's head salmon day?  (Read 3991 times)

Squidder_K

• Rockfish
  • A bad day of fishing is still better than a good d
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
Looking to see if there is interest in getting together for a salmon fish and chill day.  Launch from the Kingsport Marina (the park around the corner has limited parking and turns into 1/4-1/2 mile mud flat drag if you time it wrong.

Info on fishing Kingston: https://riptidefish.com/kingston-chinook-salmon-fishing/

Attached images: Kingston Launches, Public Park is circled in Yellow, Marina launch is in pink. Blown up image of Kingston, and an image from my yak fishing Kingston.

Kingston information chart off of North West Fishing Reports & in Sat view. You can see it is not long way to paddle.  Guys in Pontoon tubes go out for flounder near the ferry terminal.  Locals from Kitsap County Kayak Fishing have scored out there. I went once last year and struck out.    Parking is available, at $10 for day parking (  https://portofkingston.org/parking/ ).

Restrooms are at the marina, food is within walking distance.   I am thinking a weekday would be better than weekend. Why, Ferry traffic for those of you who come across from other places is murder in the summer to go from Kingston to Edmonds with 2 hour waits not 
uncommon.

Jeff's Head would be a couple of miles of paddling before you get there. Doable, but makes for a long day.  All the beaches are private.

So who is interested in getting together?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 11:16:51 AM by Squidder_K »
US Army & Army National Guard Veteran of 34 years
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans!," FOB Danger, Tikrit Iraq 2005
Boston Sports Fan since 1967, I have seen the highs, and the lows of Boston sports teams.
aka Kevin

couriersean

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Oct 2020
If you're ok taking a salmon newbie out, I'm interested in weekday runs!
I'm available most Tuesdays and Fridays, but not until after 9am...I can always catch up whenever I get there.

justinjw

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Located on Bainbridge and would be up for this. 
Hobie Oasis

Coulee kayaker

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2016
In the Tri cities area of Eastern WA, I would be up for this if it happens on a Monday.

Mellow Yellow

• Herring
  • 2011 Perception Pescador; 2017 Hobie Outback
  • Date Registered: Sep 2011

Jpsky

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Aug 2018
I’m game.  Was considering riding the incoming tide down to Jeff. For high tide then riding the outgoing back to Kingston, when kings open in area 10.  Or just fish Kingston.  Or both

PEELING LINE

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Aug 2020
I'd be down.  Weekdays would be best but weekend also works.

codeman

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
Interested,  but id probably bottom fish, not much of a salmon fisher, and i have a paddle yak - makes it difficult to troll all day.  I promised myself id never go north of Tacoma on a weekday ever again. Eff that traffic!  So, if you happen to plan a saturday trip sometime, ill try to make it.

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Hey Codeman, the nice thing about Kingston is that it's over on the peninsula side.  Traffic is MUCH better over here.  Jump off I-5 in Tacoma, take 16 across the Narrows and up to Bremerton, then 3 up to Kingston. Easy peasy in comparison.
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
What species of salmon would we be trying for?
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

VikingTTT

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
Until the 15th chinook and chum have to be released so probably targeting coho. From the 16th to August 31st or until the quota is met, 2 salmon daily, one of which can be a 22" min hatchery chinook. Still releasing Chum. It's also a Pink year but I don't know if they target them there as well.

I'd also be up for a salmon outing, I'm near Bremerton as well

Squidder_K

• Rockfish
Hey Codeman, the nice thing about Kingston is that it's over on the peninsula side.  Traffic is MUCH better over here.  Jump off I-5 in Tacoma, take 16 across the Narrows and up to Bremerton, then 3 up to Kingston. Easy peasy in comparison.

If you folks are coming from the Portland area, there is an alternate way (you can avoid Tacoma, and come up through Shelton/Belfair/Bremerton to Kingston):  See attached map.
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans!," FOB Danger, Tikrit Iraq 2005
Boston Sports Fan since 1967, I have seen the highs, and the lows of Boston sports teams.
aka Kevin

Squidder_K

• Rockfish
Some more info:
Species: 1 King and 1 Coho, or 2 Coho.

Trolling in a paddle yak...There is a guy in Northern California His name is Eric, his youtube videos are under LoletaEric.  He is active on NCKA. He currently is a guide, and helps put on the Big Shelter Cove event down there.   A better Salmon Kayak fishing guide I don't know of.  In his videos watch how he trolls, no peddles, he paddles.  He may paddle 10 miles or more on a given day. he used to stick his rod under his butt, but now he wedges it between his legs.  His equipment, old Penn Reels, and an old Malibu Kayak.  Eric is fishing legend. 

The Guys who use Stealth's on the ocean: in the rod holder and wait for the rod to go crazy.  Mooching with the drift, no issue in paddle or peddle.

New guys: Welcome, I am not going to profess I am am an awesome salmon guy on the Yak, but I love doing it!  There are also some places near there to hit up some flatties, and there is the ever plentiful dogfish.

I need to check on tides, I will be looking for a weekday if possible, low tide turn over,  and go from there.
aka Kevin

Squidder_K

• Rockfish
I’m game.  Was considering riding the incoming tide down to Jeff. For high tide then riding the outgoing back to Kingston, when kings open in area 10.  Or just fish Kingston.  Or both

It would be for both after the 16th.  I am seeing some reports that Coho have been showing up in decent numbers. Jeff's head would be a long haul from Kingston.
aka Kevin

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015

It would be for both after the 16th.  I am seeing some reports that Coho have been showing up in decent numbers. Jeff's head would be a long haul from Kingston.

The peak of angler success for MA10 is August 7-10 for Chinook. I'd recommend going around then for a better chance at Chinook and likely ocean going coho. The ones you see on the creel report currently are resident coho and small. If you really want to fish earlier I'd suggest MA9, which sees it's best fishing in the first few weeks of the fishery and has kayak friendly launches like Point No Point and Eglon.

anything