Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:53:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 07:40:17 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Hobie Outback questions, some advice please.  (Read 2090 times)

kingdr1300

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Hey guys, been wanting an Outback forever after paddling an Emotion stealth angler for about 12 years and I finally got one this evening.  So I'm new to the peddle game, are there any drive parts I should keep on hand as spares in case something goes wrong on the water that I could do a fix with?  I know I'll have my paddle still.  I'm fairly mechanically inclined.  Should I have any concerns with a certain part of the drive that may potentially fail at some point?  Thanks in advance.

LawyerBob

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Kick up fins or not? If not, definitely err on the side of caution imo. I've heard of a few guys wrecking their new-to-them Hobie by finding a submerged wallet wrecker.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
The problem with buying Mirage Drive parts is that most Hobie owners never have any portions of their Mirage Drive fail, so you are likely to end up with a bunch of parts which you will never use.  Or the drive part which does fail will be a part which you didn't buy.

The Hobie kayak part which I have had to replace several times is steering and rudder lines.  I just had to replace the rudder down line for the twist and stow rudder on my Revolution for the third time.  I keep about 20 feet of replacement line on hand, and bring it with me on multi-day fishing trips.

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
If you bought it new from a dealer there is a 3 year warranty, which is really good. I've used it like 10 times. I've pushed these kayaks to their limits and outside of shearing off the sprocket teeth the idler cable has snapped about four times - I'd keep one these around at the house and a 9/16" wrench in the truck to keep the cables at the correct tension.

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
I'm still running with the Mirage GT drive. I try to keep an idler cable, at least one chain, and a sprocket+mast setup in my spare parts stash. If/when you break a mast, it usually snaps where it screws into the sprocket. When that happens, you need to replace it with a new sprocket and mast.

Haven't broke anything else on these drives...yet. Oh yeah, and Workhard is spot-on with keeping a 9/16" combo wrench on hand for adjusting cable tension. I have one in my truck at all times  ;D.
aMayesing Bros.

kingdr1300

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Thanks guys, exactly the kind of info I was after.

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
stainless nyloc nuts for the cables should be replaced periodically if they have been adjusted or removed.  worth keeping a few spares of those around. 

Less of a spare part for the drive, but more of a spare propulsion means...dont forget your paddle!

TheBentRod

• Kayak Angler
  • Herring
  • Can't wait to catch my next fish!
  • Date Registered: Oct 2020
I'm still running with the Mirage GT drive. I try to keep an idler cable, at least one chain, and a sprocket+mast setup in my spare parts stash. If/when you break a mast, it usually snaps where it screws into the sprocket. When that happens, you need to replace it with a new sprocket and mast.

Haven't broke anything else on these drives...yet. Oh yeah, and Workhard is spot-on with keeping a 9/16" combo wrench on hand for adjusting cable tension. I have one in my truck at all times  ;D.

This what I keep also.  I have had to replace one of these 3 times in the last 10 years of (2 different Outbacks) Hobie Mirage drive kayaking.  Definitely shortens downtime.
Thank you all for any kindness provided in the the Pacific Northwest.

2021 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie Outback
2017 Trident 15

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
Man, either I've been lucky, or I don't punish my boats as much as you guys!
I have yet to replace anything, on either of my Outbacks.
Have had the 2007 for a decade I think? Possibly more...
One day in it, early on into my ownership of it, a set screw started to back out of one of the fins.
Luckily I had my Leatherman on me that day. Ever since, I have carried the appropriate size Allan wrench in that boat, but have never had to use it again. I will need to replace some of the worn out bungee straps soon, but no biggie there.
Other than that, one of the screws attaching the right inside handle to my 2021 stripped. I just don't lift it by that one now. Have yet to examine if it is actually the screw that stripped, or the little brass socket it screws into.
Reading about your guys' posts makes me worry, maybe I need to pick up some parts...
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

anything