Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:09:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[Today at 10:57:58 AM]

[Today at 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: PC on 8/13  (Read 6887 times)

• Date Registered: Jun 2021
Wow.....That sounds like quite the adventure.

I am not an expert but a (semi) drysuit (or wetsuit) is indeed the way to go for the ice-cold ocean (only 47 F when i was out a few weeks ago). Waders have a clear disadvantage with currents, waves or cold water and simply going in shorts is probably even more dangerous. It doesn't take long to go from "enjoying the temp of the water" to being in deep trouble. 

It really sucks for the lost gear that your friend experienced.

For my understanding: did he take out the mirage drive seconds before he flipped, or was it still locked in the mirage opening and did he loose it that way?
I had a friend loose his mirage drive in PC on his first ocean trip a few years ago. He also flipped in the surf coming back in. He had the drive taken out and leashed but the leash wasn't strong enough and snapped. Obviously a very costly lesson....
I always leave the mirage drive in when i beach on the ocean with the fins as much as possible up against the kayak. So the drive gets to see some sand and the fins get a little beating when i hit the beach but at least the risk of loosing it when flipping seems minimal....unless someone lost it with the drive still installed when he flipped....in that case i may need to change my approach.

It was out
The last time I complained, I got a divorce, Haven't complained since

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
I always clip mine with a short rope and two carabiners, one connected to the little ring on the Mirage Drive and the other to one of the clips near it on my kayak. I lay it over the hull in the front as I'm going in. Before using my sidekicks, I dumped it a couple of times but the connection stood strong. Even on the water and in the housing, I still have it connected 100% of the time on the water. Those things ain't cheap!

Fred "True" Trujillo
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
Agreed!
I keep my drive tethered 100% of the time!
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
I attached a SS D ring on my Hobies for an easy attachment point for my drive leash.  I prefer clips to Velcro.
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

Stinger Hook

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
@ Gone Fishing Again:

I just saw a posting on the Facebook (Kayak Fishing Addicts NW) of someone finding a mirage drive on the beach this weekend.
He did not specify what beach.

Maybe the drive your buddy lost?

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I hate to be a party-pooper - wait!  No I don't - but if I understand it, you have limited use of your left (?) arm.  If that's true, may I suggest you re-think going out in the ocean if you can't use both arms to paddle to safety in an emergency?
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Dungydog

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
I hate to be a party-pooper - wait!  No I don't - but if I understand it, you have limited use of your left (?) arm.  If that's true, may I suggest you re-think going out in the ocean if you can't use both arms to paddle to safety in an emergency?

Also curious as to how you'd get yourself back in the boat if you tipped at sea.
-Craig

2018 Hobie Outback 12
2017 Native Propel 10

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
I'd have to question that as well. If I had not recovered enough from a major medical issue I would not be on the water. If I can not get back into my kayak on my own and self-rescue, I personally believe I should not be in any body of water the least of which would be the ocean and I would not want to have to assist me and put them in danger if I was to go overboard. Lakes are a little easier to manage. The ocean in a tough wind or wild seas is a different animal altogether. As my dad used to tell me, the sea doesn't say she's sorry when she takes you...

There are safety protocols that I make sure I follow and equipment I list before I even look at prepping my fishing gear. Please be careful out there. It might seem like some of us ask tough questions, but it's because we want everyone out there to be safe.

Fred "True" Trujillo
(Steps off of soapbox...)
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

BigFishy

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2020
Both functional arms are pretty important. My rudder line broke off last time I got out rendering my rudder useless. At that point I was at the will of a current until I picked up the paddle and started rowing which wasn't very efficient. My buddy got over to assist and we used a bigger spinner lure like a screwdriver to tighten a screw that holds a rudder line on the back of the kayak. This was definitely a two man job and I was lucky the ocean was very calm. If there were waves I would have had to end my day short and row back to the shore.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 04:46:14 PM by TarasAudi »
2021 Hobie Outback

• Date Registered: Jun 2021
My left arm is not totally useless, It only freezes up and certain frames of life, which is usually the wrong time, but then that is life..lol..I have done the self rescue in the lakes to practice and it can be a work out but with adrenalin pumping it is doable for me. My medical condition is having had a couple of strokes my first at age 49. And so it will never fully recover but I dont let it slow me down I just have to use other pathways to accomplish things which again is life.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 07:28:31 AM by Gone Fishing Again »
The last time I complained, I got a divorce, Haven't complained since