Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:50:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:40:31 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: This is What's Going to Kill You!  (Read 5084 times)

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Thanks for the post! Something else to consider is placement of your rod holders and electronics as it relates to being able to re-enter your boat.  If you are running two rods and taking up your gear tracks on both sides, it can make it exceptionally hard to perform a reentry since it blocks getting on the boat.  Additionally, all the knobs and appendages of those mounts are great for grabbing loops and snagging your PFD making it even harder to get back in. 

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
Is leaded rope hard to cut? I remember being surprised the one time I cut it but can't remember if I was surprised at how easy or how hard it was to cut.
It depends on what kind of lead alloy is used. Much easier with a sharp knife (probably stating the obvious). If you're crabbing with wired rope, I'd suggest carrying a set of wire-cutters in your pfd (I do). I wear 2 knives within easy reach with either hand - one on my pfd & one strapped to the inside of my calf. I've also been mocked for carrying too much gear.  ::)  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PNW

• Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
Thanks for the post! Something else to consider is placement of your rod holders and electronics as it relates to being able to re-enter your boat.  If you are running two rods and taking up your gear tracks on both sides, it can make it exceptionally hard to perform a reentry since it blocks getting on the boat.  Additionally, all the knobs and appendages of those mounts are great for grabbing loops and snagging your PFD making it even harder to get back in.
True. The other thing that can happen is getting a small tear in your drysuit. It becomes much more difficult to re-mount & you'll chill more quickly with a leg full of water. I shared that story a few years ago. It isn't as much of an issue with a decent wetsuit. I've rounded off any sharp corners on my gear tracks. I've also purchased some gear tracks that don't have sharp corners.

PNW

• Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
Mark - Thanks for posting this on the Coos Kayak Fishing page.
As you pointed out, surf exits require skill & practice. Even then there's no guarantee of success &, for me, always invokes varying degrees of pucker factor. After a wave breaks & had it's way with me, rather than get smacked with another wave trying to re-mount, I've grabbed the aft end and rode the whitewater in until I could stand up. I'm too old for that shit anymore & I'd rather be older & wiser than bolder & dead. Now (usually) I wait for a day when the surf & wind is down.

Be mindful. Situational awareness can & will save your life.
Don't be this guy. (It looks like that branch was photo-shopped in. There's a whole list of things wrong with what he's doing, but nobody could be that stupid... right?)

photo courtesy of Sandy Weedman

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008

Don't be this guy. (It looks like that branch was photo-shopped in. There's a whole list of things wrong with what he's doing, but nobody could be that stupid... right?)

I think this picture was designed to represent a good example of a bad example.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015

I think this picture was designed to represent a good example of a bad example.

At least he has something right.  I would rather do this then ride without a flag.  I often attach a flag to the top of my spare rod or my net.  Both sit very high above my head. 

On another note: It looks like this guy launched his boat in about 6 inches of water.  You can see his rudder is dragging in the sand and propping it up.  For those new to surf launching-  recommend walking into a little less then waist deep water and then time the waves before jumping in.  When you walk a bit below your waist- you can often get by much of the surf and should have no issue jumping onto the kayak.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
That picture was actually taken at PC.  I think that the reason he launched in such shallow water is because he was in shorts and the water was cold....  ::)

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

BigFishy

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2020
I have another picture of him where he is facing the camera and he is wearing some kind of waders or waterproof pants. He is also wearing inflatable life jacket. This is hilarious but like it was mentioned before it's a "good example of a bad example".
2021 Hobie Outback

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Paddle is upside down.  :grommit:

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

PNW

• Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
Yep, & that branch looks photo-shopped. I doubt it's really there. That squall line looks somewhat ominous also.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Yep, & that branch looks photo-shopped. I doubt it's really there. That squall line looks somewhat ominous also.
Nope, it was really there! I was otw that day dude really did use a branch because he forgot his flag.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

PNW

• Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
Nope, it was really there! I was otw that day dude really did use a branch because he forgot his flag.
Thanks for the update Shannon. I'm surprised you didn't inform him that he was holding his paddle upside-down.  >:D Looks like he also forgot several other important items that could earn him a nomination for a Darwin award. What was with that squall line in the background?

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Thanks for the update Shannon. I'm surprised you didn't inform him that he was holding his paddle upside-down.  >:D Looks like he also forgot several other important items that could earn him a nomination for a Darwin award. What was with that squall line in the background?
Ya he was definitely not prepared…. I did tell him about the paddle out at the rock, squall stayed off shore at least while I was out there.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
It's not just the ocean that can kill you. This happened less than 5 miles from my home last week;

https://komonews.com/news/local/water-rescue-underway-at-5-mile-lake-in-auburn-drowning-kayak-king-county-water-safety
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Bump.

Great write-up! Mods with more rights than me: maybe we should pin this somewhere?

anything