Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 08:06:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:31:23 AM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

by jed
[May 14, 2024, 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Targeting Springers on the Columbia  (Read 11670 times)

Kyle M

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I'm going to miss the clinic, but am curious of what kayakers are rigging up for catching spring chinook in the Columbia.  Are folks trolling herring with a flasher like many of the power boats, or anchoring and plunking?  I'll be going after them this weekend for the first time and would appreciate a little advice.
Thanks!

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Its been very slow. Naked herring (no flasher) is usually the way to go. There is less drag that way.  Trolling is usually the best bet but people have been picking some fish on anchor running kwickfish. I might be heading out this weekend if you want to meet up. Shoot me a pm if interested.

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Trolling is usually the best bet but people have been picking some fish on anchor running kwickfish.

With the water up and off color, think really shallow and close to shore.  10' +/- a couple of feet.

If trolling, work the ends of structure like wingdams that funnel fish into a common travel lane.  Know what I mean Noah?  ;D

-Spot-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
Trolling is usually the best bet but people have been picking some fish on anchor running kwickfish.

With the water up and off color, think really shallow and close to shore.  10' +/- a couple of feet.

If trolling, work the ends of structure like wingdams that funnel fish into a common travel lane.  Know what I mean Noah?  ;D

-Spot-
"Is that a fish?" Zip, zip, zip, PING.  :crybaby2:

That was brutal   :(

IslandHoppa

• iHoppa
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Sunday I plan to take my son out for springers out of Camas. Noah, you up for it? Anyone else? Portlandians can launch at Chinook and meet around Lady Island.
iHop

"Of all the things that wisdom provides to help one live one's entire life in happiness, the greatest by far is the possession of friendship." Epicurus

Hobie Tandem Island. OK Tetra 12, Jackson Coosa

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
Sunday I plan to take my son out for springers out of Camas. Noah, you up for it? Anyone else? Portlandians can launch at Chinook and meet around Lady Island.

A reminder:  "Portlandians" and other Oregonians can launch from the Washington side of the Columbia (when fishing the mainstem Columbia) without needing to purchase a Washington license.

-Spot-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
I have to confirm with the wife what day I get my fishing pass for. However, the Ocean forecast is looking pretty good for Sunday. I doubt it will hold at 2.5 feet but might be in the 5-6 foot range. If it holds and I get the pass for Sunday I'll be heading that direction. I'm not sure it will be the best forecast for your first time but it might be alright. Maybe check with Ron to see what he thinks? Where are you fishing Saturday? If I fish the Columbia I'd like to fish closer toward the airport. It's been slow everywhere but most of the fish seem to be being caught in the I5 to railroad bridge stretch.

http://magicseaweed.com/Otter-Rock-Surf-Report/317/

crazyeyes

• Perch
  • 2011 Hobie Adventure
  • Date Registered: Feb 2011
I think I'll try fishing Saturday, I'll probably launch down off of Columbia Blvd.  and fish the I-5 area with the rest of the PBers.
If it wasn't for flashbacks, I'd have no memories at all.

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
I think I'll try fishing Saturday, I'll probably launch down off of Columbia Blvd.  and fish the I-5 area with the rest of the PBers.

There's a parking lot with a perfect kayak launch on the Northeast side of the I5 bridge.  3 strokes/kicks and you're right in the thick of things.  You all now OWE me for sharing my secret launch with y'all.   :laugh:

-Spot-

Sponsors and Supporters:

Tournament Results:

Romanian Redneck

• snoodleboob smoochy bear
  • Sturgeon
  • 2011 Hobie Outback & WS Tarpon 120
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Spot are you talking about that old retired launch right next to Joe's Crab Shack?
Also, I might be able to make it out as well. I was planning on fishing Saturday anyway. For those of you who are planning on fishing I-5 bridge area, do ya'll want to meet up as a group?

There's a parking lot with a perfect kayak launch on the Northeast side of the I5 bridge.  3 strokes/kicks and you're right in the thick of things.  You all now OWE me for sharing my secret launch with y'all.   :laugh:

-Spot-
RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
Spot are you talking about that old retired launch right next to Joe's Crab Shack?
Also, I might be able to make it out as well. I was planning on fishing Saturday anyway. For those of you who are planning on fishing I-5 bridge area, do ya'll want to meet up as a group?

-Spot-
If I make it out on Saturday I'd be happy to meet up. Just not sure yet if I will fish Saturday or Sunday and where  ;D

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
Saturday's looking pretty good too. After the clinic on Thursday, I'm gonna be jones-ing to get out.

True
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
Be Careful out there!
With the river all but blown out below the Willamette, there'll be a lot of pressure on this stretch.
- The I5 / RR Bridge area can be a total zoo.
- The wakes are large and non-stop.
- Be sure to fly a safety flag so the PB'ers can see you while they're making their mad dashes back to the top of the run.
- Have Fun and Score some Chrome!

-Spot-

Sponsors and Supporters:

Tournament Results:

dberd

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Yeah, Spot...great spot to launch to be right @ I-5 and RR   ...normally a beach there--last year my maiden  voyage  w/ new outback on Big C  @ flood stage.Just a path into  the water then . Built a lot of confidence that day...couldnt catch a fish if you threw it at me though.
" History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man"  BOC

Kyle M

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Noah, thanks for the rigging advice.  I'm really looking forward to testing things out this weekend.  I must admit I'm not too excited about the I-5 PB zoo.  Anyone ever try the Multnomah Channel right near the bridge to Sauvie Island.  Seems like you could launch right near that parking lot on the Island side of the bridge.

anything