Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:18:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by [WR]
[May 18, 2024, 04:51:53 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:35:26 PM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Team Bridgeport 2012  (Read 7249 times)

revjcp

• Sturgeon
  • Don't judge me...
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
Are you guys playing Magic?
Malibu Mini-X

Formers Rides...
OK Trident 13
Hobie Outback

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Epic. I want to just strap my yak to my car and stat driving south.

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Dear God that's good stuff!  Thank you, Spidey!!  I see you made it to my old stomping grounds off of Point Loma and San Diego Bay - damn I miss fishing those places.  Did you eat any of the fish you guys caught?  Those sand bass fry up nicely.
Thanks for posting!

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Just went back and watched the Onion Ring video. At about 2:50 when the ducks start coming in, you'll notice that they have a very healthy respect for What Lurks Beneath the matts.

Had always heard stories of large bass and trout attacking and eating ducklings and goslings, even know first hand how deadly effective mouse and frog imitations are. But this confirms the old stories of the voracity of the larger fish.

Thanks Spidey for a great video education.
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

hydrospider

Im glad you enjoyed that WR. It is not uncommon for the mother ducks in Konocti bay to loose more than half of their plump and fuzzy hatchlings.  7 years of paddling there and I have only witnessed it once, but it was VERY exciting. Especially for mother duck and the surviving snack size dumplings.

Thanks for the direction Rawk. We released everything and Im pretty sure that all of our fish survived the experience. If we would have taken a healthy target species the plan was to grill. Maybe next year.
We really had a fantastic local energy. Even in traffic, folks were helpful to the guys clearly on adventure.
One local encounter that also seems worthy of note, was in a restaurant that had sports radio show broadcasting live in the bar. We were easily recruited to be the throngs of cheering SD sports fans when they reported that the Padres had won. XX1090 AM did a great job as well as the bartender, and there was much rejoicing. Later, a charming young hostess approached our table and introduced herself. She couldn't help but notice the stacked up boats on the man-mobile and the Kraken was wearing a La Jolla kayak tournament shirt. She then tells us that her dad is Jim Sammons and learned that we have some mutual friends. Then there was more rejoicing.
There is no doubt we are returning next year with talk of throwing in a day at the Comic-Con.
moment.  breathe.

After a lot of thought and some team council, I still believe that its time for me to eddy out.
For now.
It is still our LONG term intention to move to The Great Northwest.
When the that time comes and the prodigal returns,  I hope that I will be welcomed back to stay.
Those with interest in coming down to northern cal and fishing Clear Lake ,whether on SUP or kayak, are welcome to contact. It would be our pleasure to try and help put you on fish.

Before I sign off, there is something that I should finish.
While the team trips are complete, the other purpose of this thread was to evaluate the fishability
of the RTM "disco" and expose a boat that doesn't get a lot of notice in the kayak fishing world and some reasons why.

14 feet of fast.
25.6 " wide
51 #s (witha molded handle that allows for the boat to be carried 1 handed)
RTMs suggested maximum encumbrance is 130kg.

I think the boats strengths are obvious.
Speed. It blasts off the line and is a very pleasurable and wickedly quick glide.
Im am hoping to encounter the hobie adventure on the water. Some things just need to be tested vs an opponent.
Its reasonably agile but this must be respected. always.
I usually don"t like to comment on a boats stability because it is so subjective but with this boat it cannot be ignored. There is a twitch factor that demands core engagement. Leg straps are your friends.
The boat can be rolled but my success has been with the combat roll and I have struggled with the C to C roll. Im not sure why yet. The rub with the combat roll is that I cant complete it with rods in the flush mount holders. Like every else with this boat , a work in progress.

The plastic seems to be of sturdy stock and the seams appear to be solid.
I really like most of the deck layout.

I believe that I will be able to mount a FF that can be seated below the deck line offering protection when loading or crashing with the FF still mounted.
You need to travel light and balanced. I realize that is always applicable to kayak fishing but to a greater degree with this boat. Only the throw rope, H2O bottle, and non operations essentials are stowed in the aft.
All fishing gear that requires quick retrieval should be kept in the secondary hatch in the work area.
I felt that both hatches needed to be upgraded.
Turning around to access the aft gear is signing up for swimming lessons.
As far as getting back into this boat is subjective as well. Some may struggle.
Others...may not.

The molded seat well is a BUCKET. I dont think I need to go any further with that.
Right now the back band is reasonably comfortable but not on a all day adventure.
RTM has a full seat that I plan on trying but I am careful not to raise my COG any higher.

The foot pegs are not all day comfortable either. I may be addressing that with cutting board material and or mini-cell.
The use of mini-cell leads into the internal floation. RTM uses m-cell ribs but to increase hull strength and not enough for floatation. There were no bulkheads.
I used my usual noodle workings. The ping pong ball project is on the shelf for now.

I had initially purchased the Saltwood paddle beleiving it would be a good fit. I was wrong.
It was the shorter Sherpa 194 that proved to be the better tool for the job.
Fortunately the Saltwood is perfect for the Tarpon 140

Fishing in the boat is challenging+. It is much better for trolling than jigging. The twitch factor really increases when the boat is static.
The boat is an arrogant bastard that demands your attention and reminds you often that fishing is a privilege.  Hmmm, sounds like a moment in the mirror.
As much as I enjoy this boat, and it is definitely my favorite kayak, I would not recommend it as a primary fishing platform. BUT, if you are a paddler, do not pass up an opportunity to take it for a glide.
Definitely a permagrin moment.

It has been a pleasure and a privilege to offer my perspectives here and to be a part of your living document and adventures shared. Thank you for all that I have learned here NWKA.
Your culture and class is above and beyond. Protect that.
It seems fitting the my 200th post is my last....
Safe travels my friends and
GO SEAHAWKS!!!
 :icon_spiderman:

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Top-notch report!

Godspeed, Spidey!  You'll be missed and you're always welcome!   :icon_salut:

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

anything