Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 06:23:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Plap
[Today at 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

by jed
[May 14, 2024, 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Extrasport Osprey PFD  (Read 5040 times)

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
This "osprey" claims to be designed for the SOT fisherman. It looks a bit lighter than the "chinook" and that back look like it would work with a highback seat.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2157&deptid=1528#

Like 3wt, I've collected a variety of pfd's. Right now I'm using the Stern's inflatable. I have not read that thread at NCKA although I did see a video of a lady having a very hard time re boarding her yak with an inflatable pfd. I think I'll read it. Thanks!
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Thanks FFTW!,I was looking at so many I was going cross eyed!
 I don't have a high back seat but I don't want any restriction I can live without!
the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
The Osprey has what Extrasport is calling a Baja Back, basically a thinner lower back.

I'm not a big fan of too many pockets on a PFD.  I usually just have a VHF in one pocket and a camera in the other.  So 2 large pockets is what I look for in a PFD.  I currently use an Extrasport Solstice.

-Allen

« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 09:49:24 PM by polepole »

HBH

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
my wife bought me an osprey fisherman PFD for my birthday...i like it so far...Question: i assume all the discussion about having a knife handy must be related to capsizing and having a line wrapped around a leg, and struggling to get back aboard...am i missing something here?  seems dangerous to have a knife that handy that its doesnt stick you accidentally in the middle of an extreme incident...comments?

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
my wife bought me an osprey fisherman PFD for my birthday...i like it so far...Question: i assume all the discussion about having a knife handy must be related to capsizing and having a line wrapped around a leg, and struggling to get back aboard...am i missing something here?  seems dangerous to have a knife that handy that its doesnt stick you accidentally in the middle of an extreme incident...comments?

There's a few situations we can get in where a knife is handy; mostly when there's fishing line that may be causing a hazard. Especially when you're using some type of braided line that's not only strong but can cause cuts when under high tension.

Most knifes are sheathed quite well and won't get loose so injury isn't much of a worry there. Also incase of a time when things are getting out of control and you need that knife to get out of a bad situation, most good river knifes have a blunt tip to reduce the chances of accidentally stabbing yourself.

Z

2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
most good river knifes have a blunt tip to reduce the chances of accidentally stabbing yourself.

Blunt vs. pointy is a longstanding debate ... especially in the rivers.  I used a blunt in whitewater situations, however, I switched to pointy for kayak fishing because there are times when you actually want to stab something.   >:D

I like to think the chances of accidentally stabbing myself are very low (i.e. the risk is manageable or negligible) in the situations in which I use the knife when kayak fishing.

-Allen

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I switched to pointy for kayak fishing because there are times when you actually want to stab something.   >:D

I think I just heard a PETA supporter cry. Good point! :D

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

• Date Registered: Sep 2007
In regards to the original post. 

I have the Osprey PFD, and like it for the most part except all those darn little pockets are too small to hold much useful.  And they have a tiny little velco patch to keep them closed, which hardly works, so I contstantly lose stuff out of them.  The 2 bigger zippered pockets work well though.

When it "wears out", I'll be looking for a different style that's a little better thought out.
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau