Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 04:22:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by [WR]
[May 18, 2024, 04:51:53 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:35:26 PM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Another achor question  (Read 2686 times)

tboat

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
So I have decided and setup the achor that I want to use (triangle type with chain).   I also have 300' of line and a means of storing the line.   I have my bouy and just need to get it attached to my line holder and I am ready to go.   I have both an anchor trolly(came on the outback I purchased) and setup a bsteves type setup for the front of the kayak as I will use this if the current is on the strong side.

So my question is this.  For days that the current is not as strong and I am not as worried about stuff floating down the river I still might want to anchor with my tail/back up river.   I want to run a setup by you all to see if you think it will work.

For these slower current locations/days I am thinking of dropping anchor and puting a loop of my anchor line through the ring on my anchor trolly and run it to the back fo the boat.  Then use a mini cam cleat  on the top of the boat to hold the anchor line.  Then I will put the rest of the line and bouy off the side of the boat.   If I need to ditch for a fish or any other reasy I will just pop the line out of the cleat and since it is looped through the ring it should just go away.   

Two quesitons.   
1) Does this sound reasonable?
2) on an outback when you anchor with back/tail of boat upstream do you pull the rudder up since it is now up-current or do you leave it down.  Just wondering how the rudder in front will effect the tracking of the yak on anchor.

Sorry for the long winded write up.

Thanks for the info in advance,
tboat

Just remember.   Always better than a day at work!

tboat

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
BTW:

I am a lifetime willamette and columbia anchorer (not sure that is a word) in large boats/sled's.   I know the dangers and am just trying to find the simplest approach to anchor both ways.   I like the bsteves setup but am worried it will not work well when anchoring from the tail due to the location of the rudder.

tboat
Just remember.   Always better than a day at work!

Skidplate

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012

For these slower current locations/days I am thinking of dropping anchor and putting a loop of my anchor line through the ring on my anchor trolley and run it to the back of the boat.  Then use a mini cam cleat  on the top of the boat to hold the anchor line.  Then I will put the rest of the line and buoy off the side of the boat.   If I need to ditch for a fish or any other reason I will just pop the line out of the cleat and since it is looped through the ring it should just go away.   
Two questions.   

1) Does this sound reasonable?
2) on an outback when you anchor with back/tail of boat upstream do you pull the rudder up since it is now up-current or do you leave it down.  Just wondering how the rudder in front will effect the tracking of the yak on anchor.

1) Sounds reasonable to me as long as your trolley runs all the way to the rear of the boat. I've seen some that stop a couple feet short which could pose an issue.
2) Not sure about the rudder up or down, try it and see. My guess is that it would be beneficial but less effective.

The easiest way I've found is very similar to BSteves and bypass the trolley altogether. Run a single ~6' line from the pad-eye to your cleat. Put the ring on your anchor line where ever needed by way of a lark's head knot and maybe an additional overhand knot to lock it down if you run small diameter line. Run the single line through the ring. When you need to release the ring just slides off the line.  However instead of a permanent cleat, I just got one of the larger NiteIze carabiner cleats and clip it to my side handle.

I like it because when I don't need to be anchored, I simply take off the line and the biner and I don't have anything to snag lines. Plus I can tie the line to the bow or the stern depending on what I want to do and it goes all the way to the end utilizing an existing pad-eye.

Hope this helps.
My wife thinks fishing is merely guys wandering around like idiots swinging sticks in the air. Many of my trips prove how smart she really is.

SturgeonRod

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Aug 2012
I have my trolley ring at around 12" from the back of my hobie, I run my line through the ring to an upright clam cleat. This is extremely effective on the Fraser and in any high flow situation. As for slower moving water or ocean I used the factory docking cleat on my 08 hobie sport. Am thinking of installing one on my new 2014 sport.

-Rodney-
-Rodney-

anything