Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 09:38:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:15:34 AM]

by jed
[Today at 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: ORC questions  (Read 25075 times)

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
It should go without saying that the volunteers get a pass on bringing a potluck dish. You apparently think I'm a bigger asshole than I actually am.

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Sorry, I meant I'm not going to have time to worry about enforcing the pot luck.  But I see how what I wrote might have been unclear.
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
It should go without saying that the volunteers get a pass on bringing a potluck dish. You apparently think I'm a bigger asshole than I actually am.

So with that well said (and I completely agree with it), those folks reading this thinking nobody will notice a freeloader doing a dine and dash....please think again.  There are a lot of folks here that have volunteered for various tasks over the years to know who you are at the end of the day.

If you don't want to be perceived as such, please take the time to create a great side dish, or volunteer to help with cleanup at the minimum.  The food prep, cooking and serving is all ran by volunteers, clean up crews can really be an asset and you WILL be remembered as such.  If you bring a great dish to the potluck, you may make history and be remembered for it as well.  We like SPICY!!!!  So don't skimp on the seasoning.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

SamM

• Lingcod
  • McDowellHome
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
No questions from me at this point - seems most everything is very well covered in the ORC Update thread.  Thanks to all of the organizers!

If you don't want to be perceived as such, please take the time to create a great side dish, or volunteer to help with cleanup at the minimum.  The food prep, cooking and serving is all ran by volunteers, clean up crews can really be an asset and you WILL be remembered as such.  If you bring a great dish to the potluck, you may make history and be remembered for it as well.  We like SPICY!!!!  So don't skimp on the seasoning.

And for those wondering, here's the thread for offering up your great dish and services:
http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=17430.0

-Sam
got stop wishing,
     got to go fishing...
          - Jimmy Buffett

Hobie Oasis, Outback, i11s

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
It's really about some great fishing, killer tacos and cold brewskis for me.  Supporting 2 great causes is awesome!

I don't see how anything about that is at odds with having a good strong competition. But I seem to get in this argument every year. For some of us competing is fun, just like it's also fun to support the causes and hang out by the fire eating fish tacos. The one thing doesn't preclude the other.

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
understand safety inspection takes place at the ramp the morning of. any idea what the safety inspection will be yet?

onefish

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
Could not agree more.  I was just commenting on the cash prize comment from Crash.   Competing and promoting yourself is part of the game for many.
“Out of the water I am nothing” Duke Kahanamoku

onefish

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
And, that's enough about the freakin' inspection already.  Too much coffee this morning.
“Out of the water I am nothing” Duke Kahanamoku

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
understand safety inspection takes place at the ramp the morning of. any idea what the safety inspection will be yet?

I am working on this.   In light of my other posts where my every sentence has been dissected, I'm trying to be careful of how I say things.   However,  for now, I will point you to the rules.  We will be making sure everyone is complying to these rules during the safety inspection.

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=17843.0

In particular...

Sections 3a - 3f  which lists required safety items...

3. While on the water each participant must:
   a. Wear immersion gear appropriate to Oregon coastal surface water temperatures
   b. Wear a Coast Guard approved personal floatation device (PDF) at all times. The PFD must be type I, II, III, or inflatable life vest as defined by the US Coast Guard
   c. Carry on their person a functional marine band handheld VHF radio and monitor channels 80, 72, and 16 while adhering to proper VHF radio communication procedures
   d. Carry a signaling device on their person
   e. Fly a safety flag
   f. Carry on their kayak a bailing device

dampainter

• Salmon
agreed,would be good to get answers. never enuf coffee!

dampainter

• Salmon
how about 2A which will be taking place at the ramp the morning of. last year was abit of a cluster just looking for the signout sheet. I can def see conflict between 2A and F. I have read the rules. just asking for
 little specifics on tournament requirements.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 09:33:23 AM by dampainter »

FireFly

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
how about 2A which will be taking place at the ramp the morning of. last year was abit of a cluster just looking for the signout sheet. I can def see conflict between 2A and F. I have read the rules. just asking for
The State Police are usually standing at the ramp and they give your gear and kayak a once over before launching. As long as you have what was stated in the rules above by bsteves as far as safety gear, you will be fine.
Red Hobie Outback

2019 AOTD 5th place

dampainter

• Salmon
am going to hit my head against the wall now. firefly it has been said that a tournament organizer will conduct the safety inspection which eventually details of what that will entail will be coming? we do know that this safety check will be at the ramp the morning of. more to come am sure. for now more coffee!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 11:43:06 AM by dampainter »

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
The State Police are usually standing at the ramp and they give your gear and kayak a once over before launching. As long as you have what was stated in the rules above by bsteves as far as safety gear, you will be fine.
Those folks are actually the Coast Guard and those inspections are optional.

am going to hit my head against the wall now. firefly it has been said that a tournament organizer will conduct the safety inspection which eventually details of what that will entail will be coming? we do know that this safety check will be at the ramp the morning of. more to come am sure. for now more coffee!
I would assume the organizers will have an area roped off to the left or right of the ramp. I would guess you will roll your boat in and they will visually check to see if you have the following:

a. Wear immersion gear appropriate to Oregon coastal surface water temperatures
   b. Wear a Coast Guard approved personal floatation device (PDF) at all times. The PFD must be type I, II, III, or inflatable life vest as defined by the US Coast Guard
   c. Carry on their kayak a functional marine band handheld VHF radio and monitor channels 80, 72, and 16 while adhering to proper VHF radio communication procedures
   d. Carry a signaling device on their person
   e. Fly a safety flag on their kayak
   f. Carry on their kayak a bailing device

Seems fairly simple to me. I'd imagine it should take less than a minute if you have all your ducks in a row. Am I missing something?

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
am going to hit my head against the wall now.

Yes, the parking lot is going to be really busy in the morning.  With 120 potential participants, I don't see how it could be otherwise.    If that much commotion sets you off, then launch a bit later.  By 7 am things are pretty relaxed.

Yes, the safety check is more complex this year, but given the choice between a bit of hassle in the morning on dry land and proper safety concerns, I'm choosing safety.

These are the rules of the tournament as put forth by the ORC organizing committee.  If you have issues with them or don't trust our ability to put this tournament on, then maybe this isn't the tournament for you. 

anything