Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 06:47:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:23:17 PM]

[Today at 09:19:09 AM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 07:01:25 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 04:21:47 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 05:31:42 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Knappton(at the Colombia mouth) this Saturday ?  (Read 2482 times)

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011
  I'll be looking for some springer connection at Hammond this Wednesday, April 9th. Nice concrete launch , lots of parking, and what looks to be a good travel lane just off shore between the boat basin and a sawmill about a mile up-river. Sunday -- there was only about a foot of visibility so my hope is that by Wednesday it'll clear up somewhat.I did see some pinnipeds working the water so that tells me there are fish there.
  Fishing an incoming ide would probably be best. Or at least a few hours on either side of a change. I'll check tide books and see what might work best. any one want to come out ????
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 02:43:25 PM by Mark Collett »
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

IslandHoppa

• iHoppa
  • Sturgeon
Good luck, Mark, wish I could join you, may your birthday smell like salmon! Be safe out there.
iHop

"Of all the things that wisdom provides to help one live one's entire life in happiness, the greatest by far is the possession of friendship." Epicurus

Hobie Tandem Island. OK Tetra 12, Jackson Coosa

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Currents can get pretty strong in that stretch, especially during an ebb.  The ebb is from about 10am until about 5:30pm on Wednesday.  Be conservative and avoid the main channel.

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

ndogg

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • "Fists of Fury"
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Be careful,  I have fished there on both the ebb and flood, and it can rip in either direction.

crabbycabby

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2013
I'll be fishing by Knappa, or by Jones beach both Wed and Thurs after work - should be at the water by 3pm.  Hammond is a bit of a stretch for me after work to get any daylight left for fishing.  if you wanted to turn upriver instead, I could meet up with you either day.
Native Slayer 13 propel
Malibu Stealth 14

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen

Appreciate the offer there, crabbycabby. I found Knappa but I'm not sure where Jones Beach is ???

Because the 9th is kind of a big day (you only get to turn 60 once in a lifetime) I need to get home for something the wife is planning in the afternoon. The Colombia is only 50 miles from Raymond, which is an easy drive, so let's keep that option open.

Maybe we will get another extension on this season to go beyond the 14th.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen

Well........I made it out to Knappton Landing at 6:30 this morning. It was a foggy drive down from Raymond and I almost ran into a herd of elk that were on the shoulder of hwy 4 coming off of 101. Kinda spooky but still cool......
 The Colombia was smooth as glass when I first got there. And surprisingly the fog was hanging on the Oregon side of the river not the north side. Still had a few hours before high tide.
 Got into a nice trough between Knappton and Gray Point and started off trolling a K-15 with some herring stink on it. Had a 3 oz. dropper in front of a Kone-Zone flasher with a 40' leader to the kwikfish. The trough was between 15'-30' deep most of the way. Saw a couple of seals working the same stretch so I figured I was in a decent location. The Lowrance Elite5 was show quite a few fish but they didn't want my kwikfish. Changed up to a red and white bladed spinner for a while but got no love from it either. Changed that one out for it's twin hoping to get some mojo going. But it was not to be.
 Kept switching from one plug to another looking for the "right" one. Apparently I didn't find it today cause I never had a take-down at all. I did get to enjoy several bald eagles cruising around overhead and got to watch a river otter playing on the shore for awhile.
 But no love from any salmon.......damn-it.
 A little after 10 the wind started to pick up with the tide change so I headed back to my starting point. Fighting a headwind got just a bit challenging for a while but it wasn't too bad. But I was starting to get a little tired and it was time to get off the water.
 So no birthday king for me..........this time.
 As Arnold would say "I'll be back" ....the place looks fishy to me and it's only 46 miles from home so I will be trying this spot again. I'm hoping we will get an extension on this springer season and even if that doesn't happen--there is always the "fall run" coming up in August and September.

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Nice report Mark.  Sorry you didn't score a fish but at least you got to learn a new area.  That place is seriously fishy!

-Spot-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Sorry you got no birthday love from the fishies, but happy 60th anyhoo...  :occasion13:
See ya on the water..
Roy

ndogg

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • "Fists of Fury"
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Sorry hear that the fish would disrespect you like that on your birthday.  It still sounds like a fun trip though. 

Happy Birthday.

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen

I'm gonna give it another try this Saturday April 12th. This time I'll only use herring but I might throw a helmet on 'em just to get that nice spin going. Weeds are not an issue right now which is really nice.
  Will find out if there are any PB's working this area by going on a weekend. Not that I really care--just curious. Maybe I'll have better luck with bait.
  Stay tuned -- I will report back.