Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:21:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Siletz River Salmon Fishing  (Read 1531 times)

Deluxeharley

• Lingcod
  • "Live like Ron"
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011
I am looking for some hands on help on how to fish the Siletz for Salmon this year. I have the rockfish, lingcod and cabizon dialed in. I would really like some dos and don’t and how to’s to help me out and get a salmon in the kayak. I just upgraded from a outback I bought 11 years to a new outback. Very nice. I have a house in Lincoln City if needed for a early morning fishing trip. Hope to hear from you.  You can post here or direct message me. Thanks Dale Nelson
My New Motto is.... "Live like Ron"

tjpeck

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2021
Dale,
I’m sure that I do not have the hands on help that you want, but I’d be happy to join your adventure.  I’ve  caught a couple salmon on the Siletz from a pb but so far I’ve been skunked from the kayak.  I intend to change that this year.

There is a free paddle-craft launch at Hwy 101, a $5 launch at Coyote Rock, a $5 launch at Chinook Bend, and about 5mi upstream it’s free again at Ichwit county park.  Last year I think most fall chinook were caught near or downstream of Coyote Rock, but I’ve seen seals attacking big salmon at Ichwit too.

I live about five minutes south of the Siletz/101 bridge and I have a lot of schedule flexibility.  Let me know when you want to go.

Tom

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Several years ago I fished it several times and had some success trolling big spinners. I have not been back in recent years. My wife caught a really nice one in front of the Stamper House with a Bob Toman spinner a few years ago. I noticed the locals forming little hog lines in boats and kind of back trolling Kwikfish with the tidal current, as well. This was all from 101 up to Chinook Bend.

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Pro Troll/360 flasher and a 3.5 spinner will take you far on the Siletz. Run that behind a 10 oz cannonball and you'll be in business.
aMayesing Bros.

Deluxeharley

• Lingcod
  • "Live like Ron"
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011
Pro Troll/360 flasher and a 3.5 spinner will take you far on the Siletz. Run that behind a 10 oz cannonball and you'll be in business.

How is the current in the river on the incoming tide. Do you pick a day when the exchange is not as much. Thanks for your help.

Dale
My New Motto is.... "Live like Ron"

Clayman

• Salmon
I focus my efforts from the last hour of the incoming, through the first hour of the outgoing tide. Regardless of time of day. I prefer moderate tide swings of 5-7 feet...really small tides don't tend to bring in many new fish from the ocean, and really big tides stir up a lot of weeds and junk that make trolling a pain.
aMayesing Bros.

Wilyakfish

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jul 2021
Thanks for that Clayman. Just to be clear, are you going by the time of tide change at the ocean entrance, or by the tide at the river location you're fishing?

Clayman

• Salmon
Thanks for that Clayman. Just to be clear, are you going by the time of tide change at the ocean entrance, or by the tide at the river location you're fishing?
Wherever you're fishing. Ideally, you can find the temperature break between cool, incoming ocean water and warm, dirty tidewater. Fish just below that temp break. Incoming fish from the ocean will hit that temp break and linger around til the water starts moving back out, and that's when they're the most grabby. But this works best when the tidewater is hot (mid-60s and above). Temps are cooling down now, so the fish are more likely to move up and hold/rot in the upper tidewater areas.

There's also typically a first-light bite in the morning, regardless of the tide. But I've done better just focusing around the tides. Evening tides are nice because most folks are off the water by then.

It's been a good season so far!
aMayesing Bros.