Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:00:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:45:55 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:11:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Garbage can smoker  (Read 13236 times)

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
WR....... dont get any ideas.. i like the terra cotta pot ideal better and it would be more appealing to look at on the patio then a garbage can..  ;D

Busted!   :whip2:

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
hey, PSR, alton brown did that one , too..fact is, i like that idea lots better.

Yes, I was watching an episode of GoodEats when he built one and have been interested since. He also made a fish smoker out of a large cardboard box and basically the same setup, except long wooden skewers or dowels to support the fish, instead of the grate.  Might try it out, if I have a day to kill, just babysitting it.

I'm an AB fan

****Hijack alert****
Anyone else DVR all the Good Eats episodes besides me?
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

squidgirl

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
we didnt dvr them but i think I and WR has seen every episode.
"Life is short lets go fishing"

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
WR....... dont get any ideas.. i like the terra cotta pot ideal better and it would be more appealing to look at on the patio then a garbage can..  ;D

Busted!   :whip2:

heh, not even..
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Yarjammer

• Salmon
  • Captain of the Titanic
  • Date Registered: May 2008
You guys know you can pick up a Brinkman smoker at Fred Meyer for ~$65, right?  I'm all for DIY, but not when I can buy something my wife will actually permit food to go in for nearly the same price.  The terra cotta planter idea looks like a real winner though.

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I'm all for DIY, but not when I can buy something my wife will actually permit food to go in for nearly the same price.
:laughing6:

2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
Thanks insayn! I was somewhat concerned with the galvanized fumes issue myself. Who cares about me and the boyz back in school, but feeding the family is a whole other issue. I seasoned the can with a few smokes with no food (to seal it with carcinogens from wood smoke ::) ), but knowing that I'm probably not vaporizing zinc is reassuring. I'm still a bit cautious about hot coals directly in contact with the bare metal though.

There are other, some might say “prettier” ways to do this, but none more elegant. I’d put my garbage can Chicken, Brisket or Boston Butt up against anybody’s high faluting rig!

I use two 2”x3” vents, one on the lid and one at the base of the can.  I cut the holes with a pair of aircraft snips and if you’re careful, you can use the off cut as the vent. If your not (I was not), any piece of metal (beer can, folded aluminum foil,,, your get the idea) will do.  Just make sure they cover the hole and you can adjust them.  With both vents closed and the lid on, the coals should go out.

The bottom vent has much more of an effect than the top vent. You have to play with them, but a half vent on both should run about 330 degrees. A little hot for barbeque, but you can vary it a little with the top vent or a lot with bottom, and close both to kill a flare up.

Chip box? I don't use no stinkin chip box! ;D I use soaked wood directly on the coals. Let them heat up bit, then close the vents. Kicks out the thickest, richest smoke that will really irritate your neighbors. About the only draw back of this rig is adding more wood and coals. You have to take out the rack of food to add either. I've saw those grills with the hinged opening, but I was too cheap to buy it.

Last really good cheap tip: Welding gloves from Harbor Fright make excellent barbeque mitts. 3 pairs for $10.
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

Hank

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Feb 2009
Reach deep into your pockets, get a Bradley and forget about it.
"Just another Newb"

• I fish out of a SIK
  • blah...
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
You guys know you can pick up a Brinkman smoker at Fred Meyer for ~$65, right?

Had no clue Yarjammer, thanks for the tip.  Looks like good reviews on them, and sweet price! Thanks
http://www99.epinions.com/reviews/hmgd-Lawn_and_Garden-Outdoor_Cooking-Grills_and_Smokers-All-Brinkmann_Sportsman_Charcoal_Double-Grill_Smoker_and_Grill_815-3060
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 01:26:18 PM by please_send_rescue »

Reach deep into your pockets, get a Bradley and forget about it.

That's a horse of a different color (or at least temperature). The Bradley is a cold smoker (<120oF). That's what Alton Brown made the cardboard box smoker for (and the way cool locker smoker in the bacon episode). You can do it with the can, but its really more a barbeque/grill. 
(Those Bradley biscuits and feeder are slicker than snot though). 

The Brinkman works well as a grill but runs a bit hot for barbeque and smoking for my taste. The bottom is open and closing the top vent does not slow it down enough.

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I had a problem.. I like gas grills for the convenience (no messing around when I just want to grill a burger quick), charcoal grills for the taste (esp. for roasts), and sometimes I like to smoke up some ribs or a boston butt.

Then I found this... gas grill on the left, charcoal on the right, and a smoke box for the charcoal side on the far right.
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

That's a nice machine and I seem to remember it appearing father's day (?) or so a year or two ago. Still have not seen what comes out of it though. ::)
:D

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
One good thing about moving is that sometimes you get to upgrade.  I left he old grill with the folks and I'm now in the market for a new one.  Might just have to take a look at that one B!!!

-Allen

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
That's a nice machine and I seem to remember it appearing father's day (?) or so a year or two ago. Still have not seen what comes out of it though. ::)
:D

Sounds like you're looking for a dinner invite Wali.   ;D
Anyway, those that made it to the Pacific City tournament last year got to taste some ribs I smoked up the day before.

Brian
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I believe galvanized products are coated with pure zinc.  Zinc is not one of the metals that people pay a lot of attention to with regards to toxicity.  This is mainly due the lack of health risks in the general population from exposure to zinc. Zinc is one of a number of metals that the we actually require in trace quantities. However, it can become toxic if consumed in large amounts.  Other examples of tasty metals are sodi-yum, calci-yum, and potassi-yum.  

Zinc melts at a relatively low temperature and you may be vaporizing some zinc which may end up on the food being smoked.   However, I wouldn't think that there is a sufficient quantity to cause a toxic effect.  Some people believe that relatively large doses of zinc protect them from the common cold and take regular zinc supplements.  I would personally eat some yummy fish from your garbage can smoker than take supplements.  The problem is, if I eat to much fish, I have to worry about mercury toxicity.  I can't win for losin'! :'( I guess I will have to drink some green tea to get those heavy metals out of me.

Now the question you all have to ask is, "Do I know what I am talking about, or am I full of crap?". ;)  I guess that was two questions.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 06:44:42 PM by craiggamesh »