Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:46:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 26, 2024, 08:38:44 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:11:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Cold Water/Weather Clothing  (Read 2303 times)

Daperrin

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Dec 2023
I notice that many folks wear a wetsuit but unzip the top  ??? Seems like that just defeats the whole  purpose. Which has lead me to considering what's the the best way to dress so as to stay warm, but not get hot when the sun is out.
Also I want to survive taking a dip. I know I can get back into my kayak, so I don't worry about getting stuck in the water for an extended time.

I normally go out in nylon pants, non cotton thermals, fleece jacket and a wind breaker of some sort. Maybe fleece gloves if its cold.

What do you think?

I was reading this article to get some ideas....
https://thekayaklaunch.com/cold-weather-kayaking-clothing/

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
A couple options depending on your budget.

Chest waders + belt + splash top/dry top + another belt (if needed).  With applicable non cotton under layers.

New or used dry suit. With applicable non cotton under layers.

I started with the waders, belt and dry top and this worked really well for several years until I ponied up for a drysuit.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Daperrin

• Plankton
Yeah, I’ve never been much for waiters myself. I guess I just see them as filling up with cold water if anything were to happen.

Asully503

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020

Daperrin

• Plankton

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Hope it makes sense because how you've described your kayaking costume makes it sound like you're dressing to become just another statistic - and not the good kind.

An unzipped wetsuit top is stupid, but still much safer than fleecy nonsense when you find yourself in the water.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Waders by themselves are not a good idea.
Waders without a properly snug belt are not a good idea.
Waders not paired up with a drytop with TWO belts is not a good idea.

Waders with a belt appropriately snug around the waste AND
a dry top with neck and wrist gaskets AND another belt appropriately snugged up securing the dry top over the waders WILL keep you dry.   

I used this combo for several years, and tested my setup nearly everytime I hit the ocean. Many surf launches and landings where I was less than graceful and went swimming.
Absolutely dry. 

About the only time you my have issues with this setup is if you are underweight and skinny as hell where the belts don't actually get any traction and just slide off.

Added under layers to add fluff will help with this.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Not to disagree with INSAYN, but you can probably find Farmer John wetsuit bottoms for less than the cost of reliable waders, and pair that with a dry top.  The Farmer John bottoms provide more protection for your core region than waders and they allow you to wear shoes that are more suitable - and comfortable - for kayaking.

You can probably find good quality used Farmer Johns for sale and save a few more nickels.

HINT: When neoprene gets wet on a breezy day, it'll exhibit evaporative cooling.  That's good on warm days, and a butt pain on colder days.  I used to wear my rain pants on top of my wetsuit in cooler weather and that worked to keep the neoprene dry and toasty.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Dungydog

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
I echo what Tinker has said. After having waders fill up in a river I'll never trust them in open water, and I'm allergic to latex so no drysuit gaskets. I wear a farmer john wetsuit and dry top. Front zipper is a must. It's comfy and safe. Also easy to clean and dry and store. 
-Craig

2018 Hobie Outback 12
2017 Native Propel 10

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
If waders are filling with water, then a belt was not worn or worn correctly, let alone two belts with a dry top.

However, I can understand the latex allergy being a no-go option for a dry top. 

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
I got a pair of heated sox for Christmas, and have been loving them.
Rechargeable batteries, and can control temp with my phone via bluetooth.
No more frozen toes!
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
The only time I've had issues with my waders taking on a good bit of water was when I punctured a hole in the ankle area of one of them, that made for a super uncomfortable day of fishing but didn't pose a hazard. That instance reminded me to keep aquaseal in front pocket moving forward.

The one time I fully fell in while wearing them was on the Deschutes and I got maybe a cup or two of water that made it into the leg portion, the shirt was soaked but fortunately it was a 92 degree day and aside from the ugly tan lines I got from wearing the waders without shirt it wasn't much issue.  I could see how trying to self rescue would be problematic while wearing it but that's why we practice.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

anything