Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:14:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 03:04:32 PM]

by Spot
[Today at 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Grays Harbor  (Read 2090 times)

Fishson

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: May 2017
Hello All,

I am new here! I have been kayak fishing for the last year, when I decided to purchase a tandem kayak for our household. Unfortunately, my fiance isn't as adamant about kayaking as she thought she would be...so I use the extra seat as a supply holder, or to take my a friend/relative.

I have used my kayak in mostly lakes and ponds,  but my favorite fishing is from the jetty/surf. I have ventured out a handful of times into the bay here, but want to start going out more into the ocean. Any and all tips for launching through the breakers in the surf, are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Fishson

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
1. Not if, but when you go through the spin cycle have your gear tied down or stowed inside.
2. You will huli
3. Sand is not edible see 1,2&4
4. Coming in as way harder then launching and your 80% more likely to roll in the surf landing.
5. When going into a wave that's breaking keep the boat straight and power through the wave.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
If you launch to ocean fish through the jetty, do not go out at max ebb, go as close to slack tide as possible and return with the incoming tide.   If you launch from the beach, launch well north of the North jetty, there are NASTY currents there.  The back launch at ocean shores can be very unforgiving, BUT, once through, the salmon fishing can be really good. 

NEVER GO ALONE.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Fishson

• Plankton
Thanks, Mojo.

I plan on breaking my gear down completely and storing away what I can, as I respect the awesome power of the Pacific Ocean. On your second bullet, "2. You will huli" what does this mean? Is this a typo? Please excuse my ignorance.

Thanks, Lee.

I currently live 20 miles North of the North Jetty (Ocean Shores) so I should be clear of of the currents pulling into the Chehalis.

Would either of you suggest launching from a small creek, or would the brackish water be to rough with the stream and waves colliding?

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011

Hi Fishson,
 I lived in Aberdeen/Hoquaim for 27 years and have fished a lot of the water around Grays Harbor. There is an amazing amount of potential to allow you to fish all year long. Especially from a kayak.
 A couple of suggestiions  : Go put in on the Copalis River just above the highway on the south side. Try going upriver 1st to check out all the ancient trees that were killed by the last sunami like 700 years ago. I've had some good days fishing for silvers when it opens in a month or so.
 Try Joe Creek just south of Pacific Beach. A paddle boat is better for this water. Its is tidewater--- same as the Copalis--- but they are both very mellow water. Meaning-- they won't beat you up  the end of the day. Joe Ck. has a lot of wood in it.
 Most of all--- get out there and explore. That is the best part of this journey you are on. Have fun and learn with each new adventure.
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Huli just means you flipped over your kayak or a wave did it for you.

As for creek launch, it would depend on conditions at that creek, at that time, and could change while you're out.  Again, getting out is often easier than coming back in.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Fishson

• Plankton
Hi Mark,

I've lived here for about 24 years now! Glad to see a Harborite on here.
I have been up the Copalis to see the trees, and I paddle around the Joe quite often during season. These rivers do get an influx of a lot of dead snags, and movement of these due to the tidal influence, but I enjoy them none the less.

Thanks again, Lee,
For clearing up what Huli meant. I will do some more research before launching as well!

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011

A couple of questions for you Fishon.

What kind of fish are you looking for out in the ocean ?
  What type of kayak are you working with ?

I ask the questions to be able to offer alternatives for you. And they are many.
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

Fishson

• Plankton
Hey Mark,

I have a "BKC UH-TK181 12.5 foot Sit On Top Tandem Fishing"
That I procured off of Amazon. I still need to put a rudder on it, before I am comfortable enough to attempt to make it through the breakers.

I am interested in black rockfish, lingcod, greenling, and halibut. I catch surf perch, surf fishing quite often so I wouldn't be targeting them from the kayak.

anything