Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 12:53:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jed
[April 29, 2024, 05:39:20 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 08:40:31 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: 4-14 trip planning thread  (Read 6969 times)

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Well I guess we are a week away, lets get the ideas flowing here. I was looking up last years fishing reports and found this dated 4/17/2011

"I own a business in Kenai were I get a steady flow of fishermen through everyday. It sounds like there are a few halibut being caught shallow while fishing for kings. One customer picked up a 75lb halibut trolling around the bluffs in 100ft of water. They dropped their hook and 4 of them caught their limit, next biggest being 40lbs. Several other customers have been out to their secret holes 20 or so miles out and have caught nothing but cod.

[AOJ: Yep, this early in the spring a lot of halibut are moving close to the shoreline to feed on the migrating herring that are beginning to run up Cook Inlet along the beaches. Some boats will go fish right in the kelp beds between Bluff Pt. and Anchor Pt. when the herring are spawning and catch some nice halibut in only 20 feet of water. If the herring are there its also a great opportunity to load up on bait if you have a personal use 25 foot herring net to drop in the water. Bait for the entire summer.]

Anyone know if we can access these bluffs or the kelp beds? Im not real familiar with homer. But the spot sounds good.

Also Anyone from anchorage want to carpool? Maybe head out Friday night, I think I will look into a hotel. Maybe head back saturday or if the weather is good stay sunday too and come back sunday eve.

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
  • It's not as fun if it's easy
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I know where we can launch to get close to the kelp beds and the bluffs.  There are a few other places close by that I've heard of.  We shall find them and catch some butts.

Anyone staying the night and fishing Sunday?  Just curious.  No campgrounds open yet, so it'll be hotel if you are.

I've got something to pick up from nomar prior to my fishing in Homer, so I probably won't be out right at high tide, but I'll be darn close to it.  Looking forward to my first reel attempt to catch fish this year.
No matter how many times the PB's tell me I'm nuts....I still smile every time I out fish them

9th place 2014 ORC
4th place 2014 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic
1st fish ever entered & Day 1 Champion 2013 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic

akfishergal

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
There will be kayak fishing next weekend, but details remain in flux. The first variable is destination. It sounds like you guys are focused on Homer. But with the favorable tide, Deep Creek/Ninilchik remains a good option in my mind. Wind is more of a concern and obviously unknown this far ahead of the date. But if the winds aren't too stiff, I wouldn't rule out Deep Creek. It's possible that another friend of mine will be in the area, fishing for butts from the dory. So might try to connect with him too.

We're probably going to drive down Friday, either staying with friends in Kenai or a hotel closer to the launch. No opportunity to fish on Sunday for me though. Duty calls. That probably rules out carpooling on this run.

Looks like three confirmed so far -- have we heard from Ak YakAtak? As I recall, the guys from the Slope are north on 4/14.  Six weeks 'til the Anchor Point Calcutta -- should be enough time to get dialed in for Kings. 

What do you think -- blue or green on the herring?

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
Color...hmmmmm?    I read an article a few months ago that showed what salmon can see at different depths.  The last color to disappear is green.  Whatever color you use, make sure it's nice and smelly.

I'm going to Homer Saturday, but that doesn't rule out Deep Creek for Friday evening or Sunday. 
No matter how many times the PB's tell me I'm nuts....I still smile every time I out fish them

9th place 2014 ORC

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
I think she means the label color (size of herring).  I already bought green label. I haven't checked it out yet but it looks good. I will thaw it and brine it tomorrow I think and find out for sure if its decent quality.

So far the forecast looks good for anchor point. Right now forecasting 1 foot seas. Homer at 3 feet. But of course not counting on that but its nice to have optimism! I don't really care where I go. Hopefully the calmest spot since this will be my first float! I do feel more positive though connecting up with a halibut than a king.

akfishergal

• Salmon
I just thought KG was pulling my leg.  If you're brining up a tray of green label, then I'll hope to find blue.  Not much difference, but if we're in the same vicinity and discover one is more productive than the other, it tells us something about the bait fish we're trying to emulate.

I'm all for calm waters. And I'm just the opposite -- thinking halibut harder to handle than a King. Hope that's something I really have to contend with, either way.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I caught one of my kings on  a purple bait pack which is the largest herring in trays.  Having said that, keep in mind they are feeding on sand lances and hooligan.  I'm going to start small...like really small...like smaller than the red label herring...  I will be using an 8 inch fish flash on my sinker rigged rod.  And a 11  inch Bechohld on my downrigger.

Between Lasik and my kids karate tournament this weekend, I won't make it.  Hopefully eyes will be good enough to try it on the week of April 21.

I saw no snow at the top of the road down to Deep Creek but snow in the parking lot but not on the beaches.  Whiskey gulch road was still covered in snow.

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
I just thought KG was pulling my leg.

Now.....I know I joke around quite a bit, but I really did think you were talking about your bait color not size.  With that being said, check out the salmon &'steelhead journal, winter 2012 edition, page 52.

9th place 2014 ORC

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
I got reports of good news and bad news regarding the fishery. The bad news is that some reports say the baitfish just disappeared out of kachemak bay and the area. The good news is I have heard from reliable sources that two kings were caught north of whiskey gulch. It took a boat trolling 8 hours on two days but they are in the area. There was another report on another forum of a king being caught near deep creek.

My first king last year was first week of may. But we did land a few ping pong paddle halibut in April.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
As of this morning the forecast is pretty bad for homer and cook inlet. Probably not going to be safe to make any weather decisions till thursday night at the earliest.

akfishergal

• Salmon
Yeah, those winds would keep me on shore.  If that forecast persists, I'd be likely to blast down to Seward or even Whittier for a shakedown excursion -- no real expectation of fish, but a chance to spend some time in the cockpit and learn what I haven't thought about in all my imaginings. For now, the Resurrection Bay and Passage Canal marine forecasts make that an option on the table. Either of those destinations would make for a single day trip.

Still, I'd much rather target some halibut in lower Cook Inlet.  Must. Be. Patient.

Nice to make your acquaintance yesterday, Matt.  Made some leashes last evening, put your name on one.  Now just looking for an excuse to leash things up!

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
The forecast is definitely iffy but keep in mind anything from the east you are sheltered a bit by the bluffs and the fetch is short so waves might not be as bad from either homer or deep creek.

I will say that Battling currents on a shakedown cruise is not the best idea. Could make for a very long day especially out of deep creek where you are fairly committed if you launch while current is running hard.

Whittier is a good option and I did catch rockfish and flounder soaking bait. Access with all the snow might be an issue from Smittys cove. The good news on Sunday at least is its the shrimp opener so there will be boats on the water.

Never tried Seward this early but the herring should be close to showing so maybe something might be following them.

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
I really hope the weather cooperates for the cook inlet/homer trip. The currents are really weak on saturday and the tides are at great times too. Saturday might as well be a year away when trying to predict the weather. Fingers crossed!

Me and Akfishergal had a chance encounter at b&J yesterday! I was in there buying more stuff :'( and I hear a lady talking about getting some line on her reel. So I tuned in, and she mentioned Kayak. Right then I knew who it was! Nice to have met you too!

I got my herring brined up. I used salt, powder milk, pro cure bait brightener (which I don't think works BTW) and Pro cure Herring scent. I think they turned out pretty good. They feel nice and firm. Maybe I ought to put a hook in one and find out? They SMELL, not stink mind you but give off a real fishy odor and I think that is what you want for kings at least. Not a rotten smell. I had them brining on the porch and you would get a whiff once in awhile out in the yard and all I could think was "fish on" :banjo:. I packaged 5 to a ziplock bag for a more kayak friendly package and then I will keep them in a little tupper ware container in the center hatch while fishing.

I mounted my down rigger too. I did it like Kardnal did his. I think that is the best way as Im not real shy about drilling holes in the boat. Ive drilled holes in 30K dollar boats. That will make you pucker! And when you remove the down rigger all that is permanently attached is the plate and it only sticks up about a 1/2''. And I think this Scotty down rigger is perfect for the Kayak. I really like the braking system on it. And It just barely clears the side of the outback. WIth a weight on Im sure the boom will rest against the gunwale, taking stress off the mounting plate.

Now what should we get for a stringer?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 12:06:58 PM by rimfirematt »

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
I really hope the weather cooperates for the cook inlet/homer trip. The currents are really weak on saturday and the tides are at great times too. Saturday might as well be a year away when trying to predict the weather. Fingers crossed!

Me and Akfishergal had a chance encounter at b&J yesterday! I was in there buying more stuff :'( and I hear a lady talking about getting some line on her reel. So I tuned in, and she mentioned Kayak. Right then I knew who it was! Nice to have met you too!

I got my herring brined up. I used salt, powder milk, pro cure bait brightener (which I don't think works BTW) and Pro cure Herring scent. I think they turned out pretty good. They feel nice and firm. Maybe I ought to put a hook in one and find out? They SMELL, not stink mind you but give off a real fishy odor and I think that is what you want for kings at least. Not a rotten smell. I had them brining on the porch and you would get a whiff once in awhile out in the yard and all I could think was "fish on" :banjo:. I packaged 5 to a ziplock bag for a more kayak friendly package and then I will keep them in a little tupper ware container in the center hatch while fishing.

I mounted my down rigger too. I did it like Kardnal did his. I think that is the best way as Im not real shy about drilling holes in the boat. Ive drilled holes in 30K dollar boats. That will make you pucker! And when you remove the down rigger all that is permanently attached is the plate and it only sticks up about a 1/2''. And I think this Scotty down rigger is perfect for the Kayak. I really like the braking system on it. And It just barely clears the side of the outback. WIth a weight on Im sure the boom will rest against the gunwale, taking stress off the mounting plate.

Now what should we get for a stringer?

I didn't like the bait brighter either. Mrs smiths bluing works better for me.

For the size of fish we catch a stringer is just going to be a drift sock. Heavens forbid if a halibut comes back alive when you have it tied off to the side. Mid ocean calm water Huli for sure.

I store what I can down the hatch. But for anything bigger it's going to have to get tied off in back. I carry a towel or burlap bag if I remember too with a bag of ice.

I will say a stringer is not a bad idea even with fish on the boat. I hate to admit it but I had a ten pound halibut come back alive and it flipped out of the yak as I was securing it. Argh!

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
where do you find the mrs. smiths'? I actually wanted that but since that pro cure stuff was right in front of my face I bought that.