Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:32:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:40:31 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Power boat wimps! Anchor Point derby update!  (Read 2295 times)

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Sitting on the beach at 6am with Akfishergal, rimfirematt, and kenai guy. Water looks decent but no boats!?!

Call the launch and the derby is postponed till Sunday. It was the right call. It got ugly around 8am. Kenai guy lands a nice 15 poundish halibut. I lose a smaller one messing with the net.

As the wind picks up its time to go!  But as long as your baits in the water you have a chance! My rod goes down and I pull in a nice 12 to 15 pound feeder king. Good thing the derby was postponed. I live to eat these feeder kings but so early in the day I would have let it go. But now I get to keep a nice eater and still have a chance for some money!

I just about flipped the yak coming back in but as I bailed out, I was only in few feet of water so I saved it. I thought it was going to be deeper. Definitely a bit of a pucker factor there!

Life is good!  Probably the biggest fish of the day out of the area!  Too bad the conditions were too rough for the powerboats!  Lol!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?0ydtbw
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Akfishin

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
And I can't get down there for Sunday either dang it!! Good luck you all!!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?zjldnr

dudemandude

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Sweet! Nice fish! have a good one tom!

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Thanks. I should clarify that it got ugly and I'm kidding about the powerboats being wimpy. Like I said it was definitely the right call to postpone. Safety first and that was as close as I would have wanted to push things. As it was I almost Huli-ed, lost a cheap bait knife, and still landed half mile down the beach.

Safety first!  I never felt unsafe fishing but the surf at landing was more than I was truly comfortable with.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?v3sy1t
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
I'm sure we were in 25 knot winds and 4.5 footers according to the buoy report. The outbacks are amazing! I never felt
Like i was gonna go over.
It was just to tough to fish! I'll admit the
Surf was intimidating

akfishergal

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
The derby postponement on Sunday was hard to understand -- just a whisper of wind and seas no more than 2 ft the entire morning. We packed it in around noon for the long drive home. After I managed to lose a very small halibut before getting into a couple Irish Lords. Nothing notable from me this weekend, but Kenai_Guy and RimfireMatt scored halibut. And Kardinal takes the King honors amongst us. 

Matt proved himself a generous soul by sharing a couple fillets, and we managed an impromptu group feast around the campfire on Saturday evening: halibut steamed in herbed lemon juice in a foil pouch, shrimp linguini, potato salad and CAKE. Living large at Whiskey Gulch.  Dave and I had a great time. We're looking forward to making it an annual event.

I swear, I jump onto that kayak and feel 20 years younger every time!  (It's the only explanation for how I imagine I can keep up with these guys.) Fishing this way sure feeds my spirit. And then, there's the pleasure of finding new folks who enjoy the outdoors in a similar way. Thanks guys!

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
The derby postponement on Sunday was hard to understand -- just a whisper of wind and seas no more than 2 ft the entire morning. We packed it in around noon for the long drive home. After I managed to lose a very small halibut before getting into a couple Irish Lords. Nothing notable from me this weekend, but Kenai_Guy and RimfireMatt scored halibut. And Kardinal takes the King honors amongst us. 

Matt proved himself a generous soul by sharing a couple fillets, and we managed an impromptu group feast around the campfire on Saturday evening: halibut steamed in herbed lemon juice in a foil pouch, shrimp linguini, potato salad and CAKE. Living large at Whiskey Gulch.  Dave and I had a great time. We're looking forward to making it an annual event.

I swear, I jump onto that kayak and feel 20 years younger every time!  (It's the only explanation for how I imagine I can keep up with these guys.) Fishing this way sure feeds my spirit. And then, there's the pleasure of finding new folks who enjoy the outdoors in a similar way. Thanks guys!

YEAH, we had an awesome camp dinner, courtesy of Akfishergal!!! Definitely was the highlight of my weekend. Good food, beer, GREAT company on saturday night. That is an awesome idea with the annual event! To bad we didn't snap a few pictures.

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
  • It's not as fun if it's easy
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Nothing better than fresh fish, a warm fire, great company, and who could forget cake. 

Thanks again guys for the help after my little swim.  Oh, and if anyone finds a Scotty rod holder, knife, and a couple weights ....they're mine.
No matter how many times the PB's tell me I'm nuts....I still smile every time I out fish them

9th place 2014 ORC
4th place 2014 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic
1st fish ever entered & Day 1 Champion 2013 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic