Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:27:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Who's fishing the King opener tomorrow?  (Read 2595 times)

Seattleite

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Mar 2022
MA 9 & 10 are opening up for Kings tomorrow. I'm considering mooching and jigging for the first time at Point No Point. Is anyone else going out for the opener? Any advice would be appreciated, I have yet to fish for Kings and I'm going to be trying a lot this year to get my first! Thanks all.
2018 Hobie Outback

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
You can find a ton of info about jigging on this forum -- I won't go out of my way to repeat what I've read here, but here are some notes at the top of my mind when it comes to jigging:
(1) Target bait balls no matter where in the water column they are
(2) Stay on top of your jig
(4) Lighter jigs are more better as long as you can stay on top of them
(5) Keep your hooks sharp -- hook files are well worth the ~8 bucks
(6) Set that hook HARD
(7) Loosy-goosy on the drag
(8 ) Keep reeling even when they're running
(9) High retrieve reels are helpful when the fish shoot to the surface

You can also find a lot of info about jigging on other websites. If you're looking for info on NWKA, the users' posts that I've learned good stuff from are workhard, workhard, and workhard. I'm surely overlooking some other users but those named are easily the top three.

I popped this little buddy a few days ago -- hit a 45g jig that was presented at the bottom of a baitball at 25' in 55 FOW.

Seattleite

• Herring
You can find a ton of info about jigging on this forum -- I won't go out of my way to repeat what I've read here, but here are some notes at the top of my mind when it comes to jigging:
(1) Target bait balls no matter where in the water column they are
(2) Stay on top of your jig
(4) Lighter jigs are more better as long as you can stay on top of them
(5) Keep your hooks sharp -- hook files are well worth the ~8 bucks
(6) Set that hook HARD
(7) Loosy-goosy on the drag
(8 ) Keep reeling even when they're running
(9) High retrieve reels are helpful when the fish shoot to the surface

You can also find a lot of info about jigging on other websites. If you're looking for info on NWKA, the users' posts that I've learned good stuff from are workhard, workhard, and workhard. I'm surely overlooking some other users but those named are easily the top three.

I popped this little buddy a few days ago -- hit a 45g jig that was presented at the bottom of a baitball at 25' in 55 FOW.

I appreciate the tips! I have been reading workhard's posts along with any others I can find about jigging. Do you have any favorite colors/patterns? Seems like the glow white PWD is popular, and the herring and sand lance imitations should work too. Also, do you put any scent on your jig?

On a different note, I'm curious what the general consensus is here on jigging vs mooching. Specifically, which one tends to put more fish in the boat? I'd love it if the answer was jigging, then I don't have to mess with bait or dogfish lol
2018 Hobie Outback

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
I appreciate the tips! I have been reading workhard's posts along with any others I can find about jigging. Do you have any favorite colors/patterns? Seems like the glow white PWD is popular, and the herring and sand lance imitations should work too. Also, do you put any scent on your jig?

On a different note, I'm curious what the general consensus is here on jigging vs mooching. Specifically, which one tends to put more fish in the boat? I'd love it if the answer was jigging, then I don't have to mess with bait or dogfish lol

I doubt that color matters -- idk why but most of my jigs are white. As far as jig shape, I like the pencil type (PWD, Puget Pounder, etc) because they get down to depth quicker than the other shapes I've tried. I've put scent on my jig and I haven't put scent on my jig; don't think it matters. It does make a mess though.

Can't speak to jigging v mooching; I've never done the latter.

bpm2000

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
If I was on that side I would mooch a LOT more and PnP sets up so well for it. Jigging is tops for me on the A10 Seattle side however - too much dogfish and crap to run through.             

Current counts are too low for me to break off of other things just quite yet but looking forward to everyone's reports to get the juice going.
formerly known as smokeondawater

Seattleite

• Herring
If I was on that side I would mooch a LOT more and PnP sets up so well for it. Jigging is tops for me on the A10 Seattle side however - too much dogfish and crap to run through.             

Current counts are too low for me to break off of other things just quite yet but looking forward to everyone's reports to get the juice going.

I'm on the Seattle side as well, but I'm going to take the ferry over to check it out. Where do you like to jig in Area 10? I was thinking about trying Shilshole in August.
2018 Hobie Outback

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
If you're looking for info on NWKA, the users' posts that I've learned good stuff from are workhard, workhard, and workhard. I'm surely overlooking some other users but those named are easily the top three.

Yeah in addition to those guys I’d add a vote for workhard. Dude has literally mastered the art and is always looking for improvements.

A big part of it is just grinding. Research, test, adjust based on results, test, more research etc. With enough hours and dialing in you will develop your own program. It’s awesome to have salmon jigging sorted because it’s minimal equipment, productive, a lot of fun, and key as a plan b if your plan a is trolling or mooching. Gear breakdowns, seaweed in the water, or getting worn out all lend to switching to jigging for a spell or longer. Kayaks, esp with a pedal drive of some sort are built for jigging, you can totally outperform the PB’s. I deployed my new Outback up on Orcas a few years ago, first time having a pedal drive. Jigging I hooked a 15# bright king in the first hour, totally life-changing. Good luck!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 04:27:22 PM by Dawn Patrol »

Seattleite

• Herring
Jigging I hooked a 15# bright king in the first hour, totally life-changing. Good luck!

I bet it was! My only experience jigging so far is topwater for Pinks, which is a blast, but hooking into a 15# or bigger fish sounds absolutely crazy.
2018 Hobie Outback

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
On that note be prepared for when you catch. Have the (large) net handy and have a plan. Have a bonker, knife, and game clip or beefy stringer handy. Having a big king jumping around in your lap with hooks in, potential boat traffic and waves, there’s a lot going on. And have a katch cooler with ice with the zipper on your side to get that fish iced down.

bpm2000

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017

I'm on the Seattle side as well, but I'm going to take the ferry over to check it out. Where do you like to jig in Area 10? I was thinking about trying Shilshole in August.

That's where I'll be in August as well.
formerly known as smokeondawater

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
...Where do you like to jig in Area 10?...

If you're looking to jig in MA10, frequent areas that are known for bait. I typically jig when I'm on bait and troll when I'm looking for bait. Study up on underwater topography and currents to ID areas that might hold bait. Do some reading; there are some online articles that discuss MA10 areas that are known for bait.

rustyski

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
I am planning to launch from Edmonds early AM.  My fishfinder is currently out for repairs so I am going in blind.  Bringing a trolling and jigging setup and gonna try and work the oil docks.
Boats:
2019 Hobie Outback

Event Finishes:
2020 AOTY 5th Place
2020 Tiny Fish Slam Winner
2019 Tiny Fish Slam 2nd

Seattleite

• Herring
I am planning to launch from Edmonds early AM.  My fishfinder is currently out for repairs so I am going in blind.  Bringing a trolling and jigging setup and gonna try and work the oil docks.

I've read that's a good spot for both coho and chinook, let us know how it goes! Curious how many chinook are there at this point in the season. I'm guessing there is more in MA 9 but admittedly I'm still a noob lol
2018 Hobie Outback

Seattleite

• Herring
I Hit PNP this morning around 6:30 and jigged for about 4 hours. Tried both a 2oz and 4oz glow white PWD. I rigged both with the mooching/slider double hook setup. Despite hooking into two small-ish salmon, I didn't manage to keep anything on for long. Both fish were hooked in 40 and 60 FOW and they both immediately shot up to the surface, jumped, and I lost them. Not sure if they were chinook, but guessing based on the sprint to the surface they were?

I brought my downrigger with me with the plan to hit the ledges E/SE of PNP after jigging and I'm really glad I did. I put down a cookies and cream kingfisher and quickly got a resident coho in the bag, which was great to get the skunk off.

Not long after, at about ~90ft deep a fish popped the clip and I quickly grabbed the rod and started reeling. It felt heavier than any resident I caught this year but I wasn't sure exactly what I had on at first. That is, until it took a 40ft dive down peeling drag and I knew exactly what I had on! After a couple minutes of fighting the fish including a few more runs, I had my first hatchery chinook in the net.

Only at 24", barely over the minimum size, but I'm so happy to have experienced such an intense fight compared to any other fish I've ever caught. Can't wait to get one jigging someday!
2018 Hobie Outback

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
Not long after, at about ~90ft deep a fish popped the clip and I quickly grabbed the rod and started reeling. It felt heavier than any resident I caught this year but I wasn't sure exactly what I had on at first. That is, until it took a 40ft dive down peeling drag and I knew exactly what I had on! After a couple minutes of fighting the fish including a few more runs, I had my first hatchery chinook in the net.

Right on man! Well done.

anything